PDA

View Full Version : How to color tint interior lights

Project-LXi
01-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Ok, after much research, and after searching endlessly for slip covers (unsuccesfuly), I found a good (better?) way to color your interior lights. I colored all my door lights using this method and they have worked properly with no cracking or color distortion for the past month and a half.

This will work for any interior 12w bulb. (ie: if you want to make your door, dome, trunk, glove box, etc lights tinted a certain color)

Go to a hobby store and buy transparent colored spray paint. For mine, I used Testors Transparent Blue.

Remove the bulbs you wish to paint from your vehicle. Apply masking tape to the parts of the bulb that do not need to be painted. You might want to use something to hold the bulbs in place so you can get to all sides of the glass in one sitting.

Apply the paint in even coats to the glass of the bulbs. Apply thick coats every 10 min or so until the lights are well coated with paint.

Stop when you have a dark, even, and smooth coat over the entire bulb. (slight dark spots or imperfections will not show up once they are installed, so dont stress over them too much).

Let them dry for about 3 hours, and then spray another few coats over the bulbs until the coat looks even again.

This next part is IMPORTANT! You need to let the bulbs dry for AT LEAST a full day. If the paint is not COMPLETELY dry before the bulbs go on, then the paint will thin, bubble, and crack, leaving gross imperfections and discoloration, and you will have to start over.

I hope this helps some of you looking for a more reliable way to get colored interior lights without doing an LED conversion.

Good luck!

Y3G
01-22-2003, 07:20 PM
you know you can buy colored bulbs
the paint works now but after a while it will burn off
i converted to led a while ago it was easy

pmip
01-23-2003, 09:32 AM
Why not use the transparent paint on the plastic light cover instead?

88 Accord DX
01-23-2003, 09:45 AM
why not just wire some neons to your dome and door lights?? cheap and easy.

honda88mike
01-23-2003, 10:17 AM
I wired my interior neons to my dome light so the dome switch controls them. I'm going to try painting the stock bulbs like in this thread because I found the average life of a colored bulb that I've bought has been about a month before burning out.

Project-LXi
01-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Yeah Ive heard lots of bad things about using slip covers, and Ive never found colored bulbs in the sizes for our cars. This is an easy method (and did I mention CHEAP!), and the results look great even after over a month. I replaced all 4 door lights and made a replacement blue dome light that I can switch out with the regular one, and the cost for making them all was under $10.

Micah 89LXi
01-26-2003, 12:37 PM
any pics of finished results?

Project-LXi
01-28-2003, 11:17 PM
dont have a digi cam, which is why I have taken not a single pic of my car yet. However, once I get some film I have a 35mm camera and a scanner I can use to get pics. When I do this, I'll be sure to get a pic with the door lights in it.