PDA

View Full Version : A.C. Problem!!!!!!

rgbpmp
05-23-2002, 03:03 PM
I got an 88 Lxi sedan. my a.c. doesnt work. for some reason it does not blow out any air at all. No air at all will come out of the vents. Not hot, not cold, nothing. Can anybody tell me what might be wrong with it. Thanks in advance.

ACCORD EX
05-24-2002, 02:03 AM
you mean even the fans aren't working ! ?

check the fuses , first ! :)

MIKE

rbeaud
05-24-2002, 04:44 AM
Check out these sites:

http://www.delanet.com/~pparish/index.htm

Go to the retrofit index page. There is a link there to a dynamic checkout for your a/c. This page will also give you some a/c basics so you can understand your system more fully.

http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/index.htm

At this site, you can post questions to knowledgeable people. You'll get the best answers when you can provide the most information. They will be interested in things like: low and high side pressure, ambient temp, vent temp. A set of gages is highly recommended before you fool around with an a/c system.

Without knowing anything about your system, my first guess would be that you are out of refrigerant (freon if you haven't wasted your money on a cheap conversion).

A quick check: look behind the driver's (left) side headlamp. There should be a canister with lines leading to the a/c compressor (located at the front of the engine, timing belt side and underneat the power steering pump). On top of this can should be an electrical connector boot. This is the low pressure sensor. When you have insufficient refrigerant to maintain a minimum pressure it opens and disconnects power to the a/c compressor. Gently remove the connector from the cannister (actually the receiver/dryer- it takes moisture out of the refrigerant). Got one of those Radio Shack electrical kits? Attach some spade connectors to a short length of 16 gage electrical wire. Start the engine and engage the a/c. Connect one end of your wire to one of the posts. Connect the other end to the other posts FOR NOT MORE THAN ONE OR TWO SECONDS. Otherwise you risk burning out the compressor as there is not enough refrigerant to circulate oil through the compressor. If the a/c compressor engages, you need to add refrigerant. Again, I highly recommend spending $25 at your local pawn shop for a set of gages.

You can also put 12V to the compressor (with the engine off) in order to check that the clutch engages before you start checking the low pressure switch. Someone (I forget who) indicates that the low pressure switch is a problem point for leaks. Cheap fix- $25?

Good luck- be careful; a/c systems are pressurized and could be dangerous if overpressurized- did I mention using gages?

Cheers,

Roland

guaynabo89
05-24-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by rgbpmp
I got an 88 Lxi sedan. my a.c. doesnt work. for some reason it does not blow out any air at all. No air at all will come out of the vents. Not hot, not cold, nothing. Can anybody tell me what might be wrong with it. Thanks in advance.

If no air comes out of your vents check the blower motor.

njpeter
05-25-2002, 03:54 PM
I got the help I needed on a number of problems with my a/c.

Accord A/C is simple compared to most. Previous advice was very good, but the number one advice from experts is not to just dump a conversion kit.

be prepared to spend some money however if there is anything outside of an electrical problem. Compressors can be found on ebay for a very fair $100 for a new rebuild..I bought used for $35 ( yes, it was a good unit) but the tools to get the system pumped out and refilled will run you a couple of hundred bucks minimum. I've had no problems with my 134 converted accords, the compressor is low enough in the system to work like an oil trap, but you do need to change the "drier" also if you have to open the system up. To fill with R-12 is going to also be expensive, that stuff isn't shade tree material anymore and some places you can't buy 134 without a license either.

First thing is to determine if the system is pressurized ( check the bottom of the a/c compressor..heavy oil there means trouble) the jump the switch is the way to go ( only for a sec or two of course)

I would bet on a leak, you might have taken a stone in the grill.

for the first time a/c hacker...safety goggle strongly suggested.