PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts

Immeraufdemhund
01-22-2003, 08:40 PM
I know that a bunch of people here are always interested in having mounts for the b-series swap. I was wondering though would it kill someone to make them? I can weld rather well and i know that everything would have to be percise, that is not a big deal. My question is what type of metal can be used to make engine mounts? would plain black steel work. (I dont know the steel, i just connect it for plumbing purposes) If i could just get some measurments i'm sure i could make something up. I was searching around for this in other threads, but I guess i just dont know how to use the search on here. anywho, any sight?

Mantis88LX
01-23-2003, 10:51 AM
id like to have tuffer engine mounts for the A20A1 engine, stiffer engine mounts would let more torgue get to the ground right?
I havent found any yet..

Bronx89lx
01-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Talk to johnny O he has the hook ups wit that

Gregg86DX
01-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Plain old mild steel with polyurethane bushings should work fine for engine mounts. The mounts are actually not that complex and anyone with reasonable welding skills and some basic metal fab tools could make them. The challenge is getting the dimensions. If you could get your hands on a set to measure, it would be easy to make copies, but if you tried to sell them, you might get visited by some unpleasant lawyers. The $500+ dollars that these things cost is ridiculous, but you are paying for R&D in a low volume environment. Somewhere, I once found a link to pictures that you could almost use to make copies, but you would probably still end up having to do some custom fitting. If you were ambitious, you could buy a set, make copies and turn around and sell the set you purchased (for a small loss). You'd be $$$ ahead, but it's a lot of work. If several people pitched in to get this done, it would be pretty feasible... uh oh, I think I here some lawyers knocking... gotta go.

P.S. I am putting a B20A in mine, so I have plausible deniability.

Sean
01-22-2004, 07:22 PM
well if you check our site we do offer a front mount. God i hate advertise in a thread. but for all the headachs is $75 worth it ? that will get you the front mount bracket. then you just use a polyurethane trans mount from a gm car and wham mounts are fixed. or you could fabricate one if your really desperate. just look at the pics its pretty obvious how to make it.

3G Jester
01-22-2004, 08:19 PM
laywers? nahhhh. not at all., honestly. how many things are built to almost exactly the same specs. besides if your just selling them on the board you could sell a few sets and not have to worry about anything. as for ebaying more sets i would suggest testing them out first. and by then im sure you would have made a few sets to sell.i dont think that you would have a problem with laywers though--just think about all those millions of ebay strut bars for like half the cost of a DC sports one. not as nice but still gets the job done! and for cheaper too

talk to a few people wih custom mounts--for any engine and see what they have to say. then go for it. get a pair...make up some blue prints and dupe' em. [duplicate] but dont say what company you got the design from. label it as custom and make sure its 'your own design' :cool:

Sean
01-22-2004, 08:38 PM
im not really sure i like your idea of copying my mount design and then reselling it. if you want to fabricate one for your self that ok. but im not so sure id be really thrilled if you copied our design and sold it as your own.

Bronx89lx
01-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the idea going to make my own let u guys know how it comes out

dXsquared
01-30-2004, 09:06 AM
we arent talking about you sean.. everything isnt always about you...

read the thread.. he said B16 mounts.. not front turbo A20 mount...

Travis

Sean
01-30-2004, 08:20 PM
we arent talking about you sean.. everything isnt always about you...

read the thread.. he said B16 mounts.. not front turbo A20 mount...

Travis

yeah well im not sure id advise copying anybodys design.

120hpcanadian
02-27-2004, 02:48 PM
you could simply change the shape or thickness, along with using a different metal should easily avoid copywright issues. If the corners are square make them roung and so forth.