PDA

View Full Version : something went wrong

si accord
01-23-2003, 11:13 AM
well i put my header on tuesday, they sounded cool tuesday night and through half of wednsday, i was coming back from tech school headed to regular school and got on it pretty hard, after that it got loud as fuck. it sounds like an exhaust leak, maybe coming from where the header bolts to the engine, i dunno if i blew a gasket or what, i know i need help though, this sux. thanx in advanced

...opie

BensAccordLxi
01-23-2003, 11:25 AM
What type of header? If it's pacesetter, my friends accord went through alot of gaskets. He sold it and went with DC Sports. He has had no problems with those.

si accord
01-23-2003, 11:38 AM
yea , its pacesetter, but alot of people on here have em' and i havn't heard anything about the gaskets blowing out after a day

...opie

A20A1
01-23-2003, 12:00 PM
do they use a paper gasket? paper ones will fail. where as the copper or metallic looking ones will with stand the temps and stress much better.

1988starter
01-23-2003, 12:07 PM
check your ppes and 02 sensors

Sean
01-23-2003, 12:10 PM
either loose or under TQ'ed bolts or the flange is warped. there no easy fix except to buy some dead soft aluminum and cut out your own. i blieve another board memeber did that at one time a few years back.

si accord
01-23-2003, 12:29 PM
ok, i've been out there workin on it in the snow, the bottom part of the header isn't goin flush against the gasket, do you think i need more washers so it will get tight enuff??? i dunno, and sean, are you talkin about using some aluminum if its warped??? if so tell me where to get some, thanx alot

...opie

Sean
01-23-2003, 12:37 PM
sounds like loose bolts. id get more washers and tighten it up. summit racing sell dead soft aluminum for gasket material. i cut it with a dremel tool.

PhydeauX
01-23-2003, 02:33 PM
The flange where it meets the down pipe is probalby warped. Mine came that way from their sweat shop. I used some soft copper (copper, aluminum, as long as its soft you should be fine) to make a new gasket, it made it better though it still leaks a little. The best fix is to have the flange machined flat, but you'll have to take it all back off. Don't even bother trying to get a new gasket from pacesetter, its not worth the hassel. They never botherd to send me one with mine. I biched and they sent me a gasket and made me pay the shipping. It was the wrong gasket and they woudln't even reimburse the shipping charge.

andy

si accord
01-23-2003, 02:43 PM
yea, now that i've tried everthing it sounds like its coming from where the header meets the downpipe, i'll try and tighten it as much as i can, maybe that will work, if not is there anywhere i can get copper or soft aluminum without having to order it???

...opie

si accord
01-23-2003, 06:23 PM
help?

PhydeauX
01-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Hardware store. I picked up a piece from sears for mine.

andy