PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side knocking bumping noise near suspension?

skimdilk
06-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Hey all, like the title says their as a bumping knocking sound coming from beneath the floorboards on the driver side, when I go over bumps and or brake I can feel it in my feet while I'm driving. I looked through the repair history of this vehicle and discovered the the left axle was replaced not too long ago with a re-manufactured axle. Does anyone know of a way to test for which part is causing the noise without having to get under the vehicle? My driveway has about a 2% to 8% grade slope and I'm hesitant to jack up the car.

Thanks!

conozo
06-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Typically a bad axle will click when making turns. If you make a slow but tight turn to the left or right it will usually click on one side and not the other. Bumping and knocking sounds are typically loose suspension parts or worn out bushings. I would take a look at all the suspension parts and wiggle them with your hands to see if they move. Check the lower control arm, front radius rod, upper control arm, shock tower, spring to see if its broken, and the stabalizer bar bushings. So you either got loose bolts or really worn out rubber bushings. Its better to jack up the car and wiggle parts then, but i would just do it on the ground as a preliminary check for now.

You could also drive the car up on ramps or some wood just to give you a few extra inches of room to check.

skimdilk
06-15-2016, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the reply, its a clicking sound when I turn left and a bumping and knocking on the same side near the floorboard. I'll get under it and start checking things out when I find a place to do it.