PDA

View Full Version : optima battery

NOAHS88accord
01-24-2003, 06:33 AM
I was wondering if anybody has used a yellow top optima battery? I am going to be putting a high powered car audio system into my car, and want one of these batteries. I will have a planet audio 300 watt amp for my oldschool rockford fosgate punch dvc subs, that hits so hard damn. anyways, I also will be getting a 4 channel amp for my infinity 6.5 kappa components in front and rear. I also will have a car alarm, car starter, underbody neons, neons inside, consisting of a 10" black light, and two 9" black lights. Is it worth getting the optima? yellow top or red top? please help me out here if ya can.

Noah

DBMaster
01-24-2003, 06:59 AM
I bought an Optima battery the day after Thanksgiving. I have a deal with a local Interstate battery store that got me the larger size red top battery for $100. I can't say for a long time whether or not it was worth it because it will have to last at least twice as long as my last 5 batteries (3 years or less each) to make it worth the money.

Thes battery is nice and clean, though, as it doesn't use liquid acid. My car does crank faster than it ever has in the cold weather, too. You should check out the optima web site to decide whether you need the yellow or red. The yellow is more money, but it is deisgned for more deep discharges from vehicles with a lot of accesories, especially those that are operated without the engine running.

NOAHS88accord
01-24-2003, 07:53 AM
That is what I plan on doing. I plan on using my stereo when my car is turned off, ie: playing ball at the courts and stuff like that. I also will have my stereo and stuff, so I will definitely check the website thanks for the reply

Noah

RobT5580
01-24-2003, 07:55 AM
I have had my yellow top for a long time and it is great. I changed mine in the winter and you can really tell the cranking amps are much higher. The battery is not the only thing that you need with high electrical draw. You may need a higher amp alternator or a capacitor to minimize the headlight dim when your subs hit.

DBMaster
01-24-2003, 08:18 AM
In Noah's case he is going to be more interested in reserve capacity. CCA's don't tell the whole story about a battery and it doesn't take much of a battery just to start these cars.

Like I said, I was interested in a battery that will see no corrosion, be more resistant to heat, and last longer than three years. The price is the main barrier to getting an Optima. My company account got me a 20% discount so I went ahead.

There were a couple of web sites that seemed to have decent prices that included shipping so you might start there.

AccordEpicenter
02-01-2003, 10:30 PM
A battery only helps with a system soo much, but if you run one and get a cap and you still experience bad dimming you definintly need an alternator, no way around it. Lotsa people rewind alternators, mine puts out 140 amps cold....

Mike's89AccordLX
02-01-2003, 10:45 PM
I have the red top and it works great in the winter. I also have a system too.

nvrenf
02-02-2003, 06:24 PM
ive used a red top since 97 with no problems the yellow top is a deep cycle battery their meant more for boating,hydrolics or they work good as a secondary battery.

pearldrop
02-02-2003, 08:53 PM
I've used a red top since 1997 too. It is still the same battery and I have never had a single problem with it. I can go to the drive in and watch both movies without starting my car... and that was with 1400 watts of power.

NOAHS88accord
02-02-2003, 09:18 PM
where is the cheapest place to get the redtop optima?

nvrenf
02-05-2003, 08:01 PM
ebay's allways cheapest but new at any store there only 100$

NOAHS88accord
02-05-2003, 08:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401860960&category=33574

is this the right one?

AccordEpicenter
02-05-2003, 09:23 PM
yeah its important to know that the red top is designed to run in place of your regular battery, while the yellow top is designed to be a deep cycle secondary battery, and using the yellow top as the main battery or using the red top for a deep cycle app voids your warranty i do believe...

n88accordLX-i
02-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
yeah its important to know that the red top is designed to run in place of your regular battery, while the yellow top is designed to be a deep cycle secondary battery, and using the yellow top as the main battery or using the red top for a deep cycle app voids your warranty i do believe... :werd:

NOAHS88accord
02-05-2003, 10:42 PM
thanks for the info guys

AccordEpicenter
02-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Hang on guys, I said it backwards, you can use the yellow top as your starting battery, but using the red top for a deep cycle app will void your warranty.

crwa
02-06-2003, 01:38 PM
As far as optimas go just get the red top made for our year accords, the yellows bigger and might not fit right, and if your worried about draining the battery install a volt gauge somewhere, then you'll always know how low your battery is. I've run my system with the car off and my system on and my lights and city lights and some neons on, and the battery never drained to low, but that was with my old battery, now I have the optima and it doesn't drain nearly as fast, before I could easily run everything for at least 30 minutes, now I can probably go longer. If you are really worried get a capasator for your amp, even though they're for over 500 watts, it will hold a charge and act like a mini battery for the amp.