PDA

View Full Version : Lower Ball Joints

HondaManDan
01-24-2003, 07:40 AM
has anyone ever changed their lower ball joints???
the rubber on mine is all gone, no more grease, and i can feel the metal insides... not good.. my car is clunking like mad driving down the road. Anyone ever changed them by hand? Hard? not? help!

doug
01-24-2003, 07:42 AM
I think you have to remove the knuckle and then press the old joint out and the new joint in. But I read a post on another board and someone said they did it once with the knuckle still on the car and used a hammer and a deep well socket of the right size.

ACCORD EX
01-24-2003, 12:21 PM
a pain in the ass to get them out ! if i were you i would get the knuckle out and take it to a shop to press the old one out and put the new one in ! :) and check for play in the joint before reomving it ! if it's fine try to get a new boot and put grease in it and clamp it with a wire !

MIKE

Sean
01-24-2003, 12:29 PM
take the axel out remove the knockle. take off the snapring from the bottm and beat the living hell out of it with a hammer. itll pop right out.

HondaManDan
01-25-2003, 08:44 AM
what about a ball joint puller?

ACCORD EX
01-25-2003, 10:58 AM
there is no thickness to pull from !

SEAN > nice procedure ! but how do you intend to get the new one in ! ( BY beating the hell of it before use ) :D :D

MIKE