PDA

View Full Version : hooking up a remote starter to a carbed accord

NOAHS88accord
01-24-2003, 07:47 AM
anybody ever done this?? I want to do it, but unsure if it is possible. I have an AutoPage car alarm/remote starter. I know that with my car right now I do not have to push the gas pedal when I start the car and it starts right up on first try so I am gonna try it but am wondering if anyone has done this to their car?

Thanks in advance
Noah

dXsquared
01-24-2003, 08:45 AM
just try it

Travis

NOAHS88accord
01-24-2003, 09:24 AM
I plan on trying it either way, I also was wondering if anybody knew which wire the ignition one is?

89AccordNate
01-24-2003, 01:03 PM
It wont be any problem. I would only do it if I had an automatic. Dealing with a 5 speed im not sure about, since the clutch has to tbe to the floor for the car to start...and once you did get it wired..what if you left it in first and tried to turn it over..oops.

I think their for lazy pansy people who cant walk outside for 15 seconds to start their car and walk back inside..

Nate.

NOAHS88accord
01-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Nate,

I am glad you think that, I like them because they are convient. I feel flip down lcd screens in cars are retarded because its just plain stupid so see we both have our own opinions on things

Mike's89AccordLX
01-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Yeah it's possible to hook one up to a 5 speed, but you have to buy the right one. You can't just use an ordinary remote start. I was told a relay has to be hooked up so the clutch doesn't have to be pushed in. And that you can't leave it in gear. I was quoted for a remote start and keyless entry alarm for $375-$500. You have to get the top of the line remote start ones for a 5 speed. This one I thought about getting have a little screen on the remoted that showed if it was running, if a door was locked/unlocked, and if a door was open, of if the truck or hood was open. Don't try it unless you have the correct remote start system (it'll be a waste of time b/c it won't work)

markmdz89hatch
01-24-2003, 01:27 PM
any of the remote starters will work no matter if it's 5 psd. or auto.
As for on a carb'd car...
, it really comes down to how well ur car starts, and if a pump of the gas pedal is needed. If not, it's just the same as FI.

As for installing it on a 5 spd....
...for our cars it doesn't matter. I have an 88 and you don't need to push the clutch in to start it. I don't think they installed that safety switch on the 3G. If a car does have one, all you have to do is jump the switch, or bypass it all together. Now there's no need to push in the pedal. As for the gear. If it's a 5 spd, you can no longer leave the car in gear. You'll just have to rely on ur e-brake to keep the car where it is. So either park on flat ground, or make sure you're rear brakes are very good. If you leave it in gear and try to kick over the remote start, you're bound to send the car in some strange direction.

dXsquared
01-24-2003, 01:49 PM
unless the ebrake is on... but then it will do the common remote start thing and try to start it over and over! that puts a lot of wear on the clutch... be very carful when you leave the car

Travis

89AccordNate
01-24-2003, 03:35 PM
My car wont start unless the clutch is to the floor..so i dont know mark.

Nate.

dXsquared
01-24-2003, 03:43 PM
they did have a switch... but over the years, they get removed or break... some still have them tho

Travis

markmdz89hatch
01-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
My car wont start unless the clutch is to the floor..so i dont know mark.

Nate.

you got an 89 right? If you do, maybe they put 'em in in the 89's, or maybe mine's already shorted. But yeah, with the newer cars, or really any car that does have that safety feature, all you do is jump the switch or wire a bypass to eliminate the switch.

AZmike
01-24-2003, 03:47 PM
In the III position (engine start) the ignition switch connects the white, black/yellow, and black/white wires for an 89' (probably the same for you).

For a 5-speed you could short clutch interlock switch closed (disconnect wires from switch and connect them). Alternatively, you could run an auxillary switch that you could flip to make the clutch switch look closed to the car. You'd need to park in neutral, as mentioned before. You don't need one of the expenisive systems to start a 5-speed, just some extra work.