PDA

View Full Version : new tires: how will it effect suspension

89accord_lxi_coupe
01-24-2003, 07:59 AM
:smokin:
Hey, i wanted to know how new tires ( such as 15's ) would change the handling and suspension in my car. what would i have to put in or take out in the suspension to get a smooth ride? I need to know what tires you guys use, i was thinking yokohamas or something. what do you reccomend, and what the hell is the original tire size for the 89 LXi's anyway? Two different tire sites gave two different sizes as the originals.

I also wanna know about finding a replacement piece for the front of my car. its the trim piece on the front edge of the hood or the piece by the left headlight. i cant remember. is there any good place to find a replacement that wont cost much?
Thanks

dXsquared
01-24-2003, 08:41 AM
if you want 15's get 205/50/15's
the suspention will feel a little stiffer because you lose a bit of side wall... if you want to lower it, that will be like 800 bucks or more...
talk to JIM the suspention MOD about this... he will eventually reply

Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
01-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 89accord_lxi_coupe
:smokin:
Hey, i wanted to know how new tires ( such as 15's ) would change the handling and suspension in my car. what would i have to put in or take out in the suspension to get a smooth ride? I need to know what tires you guys use, i was thinking yokohamas or something. what do you reccomend, and what the hell is the original tire size for the 89 LXi's anyway? Two different tire sites gave two different sizes as the originals.

I also wanna know about finding a replacement piece for the front of my car. its the trim piece on the front edge of the hood or the piece by the left headlight. i cant remember. is there any good place to find a replacement that wont cost much?
Thanks

Hello and welcome to the board. Stock tire size for the 88-89 LXI is 195/60-14. What effects you get will be influenced by your choice in tires, since some have stiffer sidewalls and stickier tread compounds. I can speak from experience when you go to a high performance summer tire, I did it before any suspension mods. I went from 185-70-13 (stock for all 86-87 cars) to 195/55-15. (I only had 195's because I needed to try and make them fit the car since my first set of (used) rims did NOT have the correct offset, otherwise I would have had 205/50-15's). I got a very noticiable improvement in performance, ALLOT more grip and the car was much more willing to change direction, it felt snappier. I did feel bumps more easily, but in spite of the firmer sidewalls of the high performance rubber, it was perfectly ok.

To recommend a tire for you I need to know if you want a all season tire of if you want a summer tire. I have NEVER found a all season tire I could stand, so in spite of driving in plenty of rain, I avoid all season like my life depends on it:D Proper tire size for 15" is 195/55-15 or 205/50-15 and you HAVE to pay attention to offset DO NOT!!! GET ANY RIM THAT HAS A OFFSET OF LESS THAN 40MM!!! 42MM, 43MM, AND 45MM are perfectly ok and some time's for large rim size's you have to have 45mm, but not for 15".

For the trim piece, I would visit your local junk yard and see what they have to offer.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and do get back to me on what type of tire you want, then I will recommend something.

Jim C. Here's a pic of what used to me my car

89accord_lxi_coupe
01-28-2003, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the information. I wanna go with yokohamas or dunlops. If it's possible to get a good all season from them I would take it. My car already feels the bumps really well and I don't exactly enjoy it. I sometimes wonder if I have a tire going down or something. Is there something I can do to change that?
thanks for the info.

AZmike
01-28-2003, 08:48 AM
I got Dunlop Sport A2s a several months ago and am pleased with them. There's a little delay between the steering input and the car's response due to the tall sidewall (will be about the same for all 60 series), but once you're turning they have great grip.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
I got Dunlop Sport A2s a several months ago and am pleased with them. There's a little delay between the steering input and the car's response due to the tall sidewall (will be about the same for all 60 series), but once you're turning they have great grip.

Well as much as I hate driving on any all season tire I have every owned. I did test drive a accord this summer that had the Dunlop A2's on the car. They did offer good grip and they were not noisey. While I would never buy all season, if I had to I think the A2's are good.

BLck89accord
01-28-2003, 08:06 PM
i have the dunlop gt qualifiers in a 205/40/16 77T. I really don't know what to think of them at this point, since they haven't been on long and they came with the rims that i bought from a friend. Noticeable improvement in grip, but u sure do feel EVERY texture of the road with much less sidewall.

nanaimo_honda_accord
01-29-2003, 08:19 PM
good lord man get those dunlops qualifiers off your car!!!! that tread bites the big one. a good tire that i recommend it the Falken ZE 512 or even the Nokian NRZi. i run the Falkens in a 205/50R16 and they have good grip in the rain, they balance out good and its a nice smooth ride. oops i guess for the guy that made this post get the Falkens in a 195/55R15.

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Thanks a lot for the input guys, it was a lot of help. i believe i may go with the dunlop A2's. thanks again