PDA

View Full Version : Water in gas tank?!?

Chrome_thangs
01-24-2003, 03:20 PM
My brother-in-law just recently bought a car and the guy that sold him the car said that there was water in the gas tank. The solution the seller propsed was for him to put a bottle of rubbing alcohol in his tank, and follow it w/ some gas. Does this sound right? :huh: I've never heard of anything like this before!!!

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
best thing to do is siphin out all the gas an let the engine run till it quits so it gets out of all your fuel lines an everything..... Oh yea an yes pouring rubbing alcohol works cause the rubbing alcohol get mixed with the fuel then burns do either one........

AZmike
01-24-2003, 03:36 PM
The alcohol breaks the surface tension in any water that is in the tank so it will mix with the gas.

Sean
01-24-2003, 03:48 PM
or just remove the drain plug(*on the bottom of the tank) drain the tank and refill it with fresh gasoline.

ACCORD EX
01-25-2003, 05:28 AM
what ever you do ! DON'T RUN THE CAR UNTIL YOU FIX TEH PROBLEM ! water is very bad for the engine because it can't be compressed in the compression chamber ( like gas & air do ) so you will your engine , pistons , rods , blown head gasket ! :(

MIKE