PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my paint hold WAX?

Einstein
01-25-2003, 01:28 PM
I've got a white 88 LXi. Original paint. Lots of spider cracks.

I used NU-FINISH- "the once a year polish", just like I use on my white CR-V. The CR-V does indeed go a year between waxing, keeps beading all year long.

This damn Accord paint keeps getting all stained and stops beading after about a month. What's up with that? It's all across the surface, has nothing to do with spider cracking. It's worst on the hood, then also pretty bad on the roof and trunk.

I've waxed the car four times and I haven't even had the car a year. I use proper car wash, etc... don't think I'm stupid ;)

This is my BEATER! I want to spend my time waxing the S2000, not the Accord!!!

Help!

ACCORD EX
01-25-2003, 01:52 PM
you reminded me of my car needs rust repairs and paint ! :(

MIKE

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-25-2003, 02:44 PM
does ur paint look dull looking>???? or sun damages-(thats prob why if so).....my hood is sun damages and wont hold wax

YK86
01-25-2003, 06:03 PM
It might be starting to oxidize. If so, I recommend using Turtle wax color back (or somethng like that). It's for non clear coated paints and faded/oxidized ones. Takes a lot of time to do the whole car nicely but I think it's worth it.

Einstein
01-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Yeah, it's the horizontal surfaces of the car that get "stained" and dull looking. I suppose the sun deteriorated the surface. But I would expect a wax/polish to bring that back? The surface looks shiny (reflecting light).

Am I using the wrong kind of wax? Is there a wax that's better to use on an old car?

I have a nice parking space at work... when my Accord is filthy during the winter (not driving the S2000) I'm scared I'm going to lose my nice space and have to park my S2000 in the back lot come spring :(

Einstein
01-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by YK86
It might be starting to oxidize. If so, I recommend using Turtle wax color back (or somethng like that). It's for non clear coated paints and faded/oxidized ones. Takes a lot of time to do the whole car nicely but I think it's worth it.

Went to turtlewax-dot-com, I see they have this in white. Never saw it in the store though. I've used this product in blue and black, but on clear coat finishes.

DBMaster
01-25-2003, 08:20 PM
I used Nu Finish in the past on my 89 Accord which is also white. It did not do a good job cleaning away stains and oxidized paint. The white 3g Accords did not come with clear coat like your CRV has.

My paint looks really good after 14 years through quarterly application of plain old Mequire's wax (purple can - the cheap stuff). It works a lot better for me than Nu Finish.

87AccordsterLx
01-26-2003, 11:36 PM
I use all "mothers" products. Wash, wax, prime, seal, gloss... etc. When I get the supra Im painting her Dodge Viper Blue... you can bet shes getting the top of the line treatment.

MrBen
01-27-2003, 04:23 PM
I use AmWay and it works great. I waxed it in August I think and it's still fine.

Einstein
01-27-2003, 05:24 PM
With the vigor that AmWay people try to get me on the program, I might as well ask them to demonstrate their wax on my car. They'll probably do it for free. :lol

iloveJDMblackrims69
01-28-2003, 05:34 PM
I USE 3M car show wax..............SHINY!!!!!:)