PDA

View Full Version : carb rebuild?!?

dirty89lx5sp
01-26-2003, 11:29 AM
How much does this cost? and will it help some of my probs...Can I do it myself being a novice mechanic with an ability to read? I had started my car today to let it warm up...normally I have to get in and tap the gas to make it go from 3k rpm to it's normal idle...but it was chugging along at 1500 and didn't seem to have warmed up much. I then tried to drive it a bit and had trouble accelerating. In frustration I stomped the gas while in park and noticed black smoke. The car seemed to want to drive okay and I got about a block away driving normally and stopped at a stop sign and the thing became possessed and revved and held at 3000 and climbing rpms. I took it back home and it still wouldn't calm down and it continued to pop and what not after the key was out. I tried starting it again and it wouldn't start without my foot pressed to the floor on the gas pedal. It ran really fast and after 3-5 min. returned to it's normal idle. I'm fearing driving it now and contemplating carb rebuild...is it a good place to start. Engine is A20A1 and has new NGk plugs but nothing else new...lemme know.

Neuspeed87lx
01-26-2003, 11:57 AM
it kinda sounds like the problems i was having .. i rebuilt mine myself ... it wasnt very hard ... the rebuild kit cost me like 20 bucks i think from the local car store... it took care of all my problems...pm me if you need more info

89AccordNate
01-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Thats just carb problems. My carb does the same thing. I bet it was somewhat wet outside or very damp, probably pretty cold. Our carbs have problems like that. Let it sit for a little while, and I bet it will go back to normal.

Nate.

dirty89lx5sp
01-26-2003, 07:37 PM
I will try tomorrow...will start with adjusting the air/fuel mixture when it's running before work and see how it goes...taxi will be cheap...as long as I can rebuild carb on my day off I will be a happy camper...?? on carb cleaner...can I just spray the stuff in the hole in my airbox with the screen over it when it's running...will it hurt it>?

Neuspeed87lx
01-26-2003, 07:41 PM
i think it says to spray it with the car off... then let the car sit for 5 min then start it... but i have sprayed it in there with the car on ... nothing bad happened ...

ACCORD EX
01-26-2003, 09:23 PM
read on the carb cleaner label !
mine was ok to use when car is running ! ( which is better )
anyway check out the how to's section !
you 'll find 2 how to's there ! one for adjusting the carb and the other one for rebuilding it !

MIKE

njpeter
01-27-2003, 05:28 AM
you can melt down your converter..spray the linkages and check for leaking vac hoses..watch yer face..that stuff is nasty