PDA

View Full Version : Amps!!!!!

StUpiD8000
01-26-2003, 04:23 PM
OK, IM doing my system now. I have an audiobahn awc12 12" DVC(Not the best) I love clean sound. Most of the system will be audiobahn. But should I go with there amps? Thay look good But do thay sound clean for that price?

joshuabrack99
01-27-2003, 11:26 AM
:smokin: I have to say this- don't get a amp made by audio bahn- another nick name for them is audio pawn- there amps look great but are not powerful enough to power their own subs- subs are fine- it's kinda hard to get a shitty sub and thats not what is inportant- the enclosure and the amp is where your ear shakeing satisfaction comes from- look into a keenwood/ alpine/ cadence/plnet audio/clarion or xtant- these amps offer great power and very little thd (total harmonic distortion)- good luck

87DXHatch
01-27-2003, 12:35 PM
I would have to disagree with 99% of what he said.

First off, if you love clean sound, sell your audiobahn sub NOW! Audiobahns are NOTORIOUS for sounding incredibly boomy and uncontrolled. They are built for one thing alone: SPL.

Audiobahn amps are just fine. They are good amps that make at least rated power and are of a quality build. CONTRARY to what joshuabrack99 said, amps play a VERY minor role in how a system sounds. Amps are there for the power and not much else. There are very subtle differences between amps that take a really trained ear to hear. Personally, I wouldn't go with audiobahn amps because they are quite expensive. What is the nominal impedance for the voice coils on your audiobahn sub? Give me that and I can give you some options.

If you still want to use your audiobahn sub, I can give you enclosure specs (to build) so it'll sound as clean as it will get.

joshuabrack99
01-28-2003, 10:37 AM
comming from being mecp certified I have to tell him the truth- I have taken 6- 8 dollar wholesale subs made by thump- yes I said thump- extended the throw on them and achieved 164. db with a walled off ported enclosure- My uncle owns a shop in MO- I worked with him for a while- seen and done the world finals for usac in kansas city and his shop has had record breaking systems- one for oddness of putting 69 utimate 6/9's in a chevy astro van-it hit 159 db- yes 159.- and that came out of a little tiny 6/9- this vehical was shown in auto sound and security along with vw rabbit holding 5 -15" cerwin vega strockers which hit 175 - yes, what I am relying to is for db and not sq- but you can still use the same factors and apply them to achive your goals- if you want sq-(sound quality) get a good amp and a nice ported enclosure built to specs-not a prefab box--- good luck- by the way-there is alot more to the amp besides giving your subs power- do you have a crossover or Eq- if not make sure the amp has a built in crossover with less that 99.7 thd- otherwise you will get dirty signal and the sub will sound like poop- plus you never what to feed a sub full pass signal-always low pass- there is such a thing as under powering a sub also-you can kill the voice coil- but don't over power it because no matter what you can always feed a sub thd and it hurts it more when the amp is gained out- you will know when your gain on the amp is too high because when thecd laer is turned all the way down you will still hear a rumbling nooise commijng from your sub-Later

StUpiD8000
01-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Thx I like all that info. Im gitting my Mecp bronze soon i hope. I just sent Audiobahn a letter askin for specs. The spec on the box are 500watts RMS?/PEAK? = 50 oz magnet = 4 ohm or 8 ohm operation and just more useless stuff Ill post as soon as thay e-mail me back

pearldrop
01-29-2003, 01:34 PM
I had plenty of power with my Audiobahn amps and subs. My Cadillac hit 141 db with two 12's and I am not into SPL, I just got it tested to see what it hit. Mine was the exact opposite of boomy. It was a little bit too tight for my tastes. I do know that the lower end subs have a reputation of blowing easily.
I have amps if you want to buy them. I'm tired of not being able to take a car places because I am worried about it getting broken into.

StUpiD8000
02-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Would you sell just Audiobahn A2200HCX amp?

StUpiD8000
02-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Would you sell just Audiobahn A2200HCX amp?

And was is a .xls file? Audiobahn sent me the specs in that file type

StUpiD8000
02-04-2003, 07:42 PM
OK I got the specs on that sub now. What would bo a good box. I suck at building a ported box. But I love tha sound of them

AWC12

FS: 23.7Hz
Qts: 0.47
Qes: 0.54
Qms: 3.9
Vas: 130Liters
Vas: 4.6 Cu.Ft.
Re: 3.2ohms
Le: .8 mH
Xmax: +/-7mm
Pmax: 500watts
EBP: 44
SPL: 87.2dB
Freq
Resp: 25Hz-800Hz
EffiCiency: 92.9dB

Dimensions
Depth: 5 1/16"
Hole: 10 7/8"
Diameter 12 1/2"
Displacement:.15 Cu. Ft.

AccordEpicenter
02-05-2003, 09:18 PM
Ive seen audiobahn subs and amps, and their subs are ok, but I knew 2 people with 2 different amps 1 hi current, the other class d, and the guy with the class D one bought it brand new and ran it for less than 3 hours and it smoked, so he took it back and got himself a cadence Z series and it kicked ass. The other guy had one running for about 2 months before it stopped working. That kinda blows... I think that audiobahn stuff is overrated but their subs are ok, provided their not the cheap cheap ones...

86hatchbackLXi
02-13-2003, 09:43 PM
personally i like my audiobahn sub, but i dont think theyre amps are the greatest, for an amp i would go with an alpine or an xtant

kennycm
03-02-2003, 08:26 PM
good luck, i never could afford an audiobahn amp, they look heavy too. lol