PDA

View Full Version : Need Auto Tranny How To....

HondaManDan
01-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Can someone guide me through swapping my old auto for a new one? what do i have to remove to drop it out of my car and am i going to need any new parts?
plus.. when i get my new tranny should I have a shop inspect it properly or can i do it myself? (ie change the filter element and inspect belts and clutchpacks)
Thanks.

Mantis88LX
01-26-2003, 08:33 PM
sorry i cant answer your questions but i want to know too.

im having trouble with slipping once in awhile, can u change just the clutchs or bands by your self?? or are they even changable without a rebuild?

njpeter
01-27-2003, 05:33 AM
check the FAQ for starters, I'm going with "pull the engine and tranny together" approach..and a junkyard swap..I might crack the bad tranny open for a look see..but as the labor is large and I don't have a way to test the tranny repairs except by installing..I'm going with the "should be OK" tranny. No bands in honda auto's..just clutches..but youy'll need a silver shop manual if you have a prayer at doing the job. I passed on an 87 lxi tranny last week on ebay..guy had a low feedback rating...and then wanted to know If I'd make good on a reserve bid of $60 ( didn't make his reserve) when he relisted the tranny for $25..told him I'd go $40, since I got that engine and tranny for $150 the weekend before....never heard back from him, or either of the folks here who said that had auto tranny's (names witheld to avoid embarassment as no money changed hands)

it's a pretty big job any whay you cut it, which is why the shops get 1500+ for it

ACCORD EX
01-27-2003, 07:33 AM
here i an saying it again ! serivce manual download link is in the faqs !

MIKE

HondaManDan
01-27-2003, 07:09 PM
you can get the clutch packs from Honda... they range from 250 to 625 bucks.. dependant on what one's blown...

Mantis88LX
01-27-2003, 07:50 PM
dammmmnnnnnn

njpeter
01-28-2003, 05:03 AM
considering the "hail-mary" nature of any tranny repairs I might do, one washer out of place and it's all for nuthin. I'd rather buy a running rat with a working tranny I can see...then put it to pasture..shame is I decided to keep the last rat I bought for $300 :-) ( and the auto tranny is reallllly good in that car). Only real problem is that I'm out of driveway and garage. An old ex-buddy of mine was a tranny builder and he made the top bucks.

lotsa trannies around, I can't see spending the money and time to put new parts in any tranny, especially clutches, I need a shifter control cable if anybody's got one, mine was melted when I had that little cat accicdent

markmdz89hatch
01-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by njpeter
....never heard back from him, or either of the folks here who said that had auto tranny's (names witheld to avoid embarassment as no money changed hands)

it's a pretty big job any whay you cut it, which is why the shops get 1500+ for it

...I'll admit it, I was one of those "...of the folks here" who did not get back to you. I'm sorry about that. I'm glad to see that despite not getting mine, you did end up with one at a good price. I honestly have no excuse for not getting back to you, so again, I apologize for my negligence on that one. :sadwave:

Actually, tonight, I'm driving up to meet HondaManDan. He's gonna be taking it b/c his tranny hath shittith the bed. Dan, I'll show you when I get there to drop it off, everything that you need to do to make this tranny change happen.

njpeter
01-20-2007, 08:47 AM
a little late is better then never..apology accepted :flash: ..I've been picking parts off that car since then ( the windshield cracked while it was sitting outside) it..still plenty left on it, but it's gotta go soon want to get a "better car into the garage soon, I just picked up another 88lx..my daily driver hit 240k miles and wouldn't pass inspection ( till today) but I had already dealt on the replacement ( a little old ladies LX with 200k miles on it, but lots of recent ( and expensive work)

POS carb
01-22-2007, 12:56 PM
yo,

I have gone through an auto rebuild... really the tranny is not terribly complicated... the biggest issues you will face is taking the damn thing out and putting it back... also you need a way to lock the main shaft once you open it to remove the nuts holding the shaft in. I modified a thin screwdriver to use as a lock pin and I used an electric impact gun on the nut...

the clutch packs are a pain to open up, there is a tiny snap ring in there that you need to squeeze down the packs and remove the ring, then it flys apart. There was a tranny shop near me that sold me the whole 2nd/4th gear clutch pack assembled (mine was broken) and he said there was a redesign to make them stronger which is why mine brole.

There are also 3 or 4 check balls in there you need to keep track of as well as the position of the bolts (some are a little longer than others) Everything else is pretty straight forward. Everything only fits in one place...
The filter is the last piece you get to when disassembling it. you need to tear the whole tranny down to get it (but you don't need to separate the gears)

download the shop manual from www.pauldesign.ru , the step-by-step is very accurate.