PDA

View Full Version : Dual Throttle bodies and intake reworking

AccordEpicenter
01-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Hey guys i have another insane idea. I have a couple of heads and manifolds and im probably going to rework an 88-89 intake manifold but I was wondering if it was possible to run dual throttle bodies instead of the single? The stock throttle body is not huge and with the intake work and a new cam (probably head porting too) this mofo should really flow well, and prolly better with duals. Ive seen the quad setup and they flow awesome but cost tons and are really tempermental. Im after top-end power here.... Worth a try?

AZmike
01-26-2003, 11:29 PM
You'd probably get better performance by either going with a single larger thottle body or getting an intake manifold with one for each cylinder (hurts low-end more) rather than settling up some dual throttle system.

The only cars I know with dual throttle bodies are larger V engines like the Viper's V10 or the VG30DETT (V6) in the 300ZX.

A20A1
01-27-2003, 12:18 AM
You'll have to make a divider between the cylinder sets 1-2 and 3-4.

If you can, have the TBs facing the firewall... but angle them so the opening faces upwards... maybe like @ 45 degrees, that sould make fitting up and intake easier.

kraftaroni
01-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Mugen made a dual throttle bodu manifold for the first gen integra. It's no longer availible but it worked well, though it was expensive. You have to get with sean and do a computer upgrade or it wont work. It needs major fuel manegment.

AccordEpicenter
01-27-2003, 08:43 PM
for that manifold did they use 2 stock size TBs or 2 smaller ones? Im not sure if the stock size is too big if I run duals yet.

PhydeauX
01-27-2003, 10:56 PM
Since you're looking for top end a b16a manifold will do what you want. Keep an eye out for one of the JDM type R or ITR or what ever their called. B16A, B18C5, or any aftermarket manifold to fit them. Theres plenty of info in the faq on how to fit one. The advantages of doing something like a quad throttle setup is the lack of a plenum. That makes for a much smaller column of air behind throtle plates giving much quicker throttle response. With 2 throttlebodies feeding a 4cyl engine you're still going to need a plenum area behind each. Usually when they fit a car with dual thottle bodies from the factory its more of a space issue. I can't say I've ever been under the hood of a viper, but I have seen the 300z's v6 up close. The motor is jam packed in there. Its much easier to pack 2 half sized plenums then one full sized one.

andy

AccordEpicenter
01-28-2003, 09:36 PM
Well i tried working on opening up the flow, and its wet out so i tried removing the stock air intake from the throttle body and it seemed to open up flow quite a bit, but when I drove it I lost a ton of power and the engine seemed strained, so i think its leaning out really badly like that or somthing. What do you guys think could be it, just that the fuel injection cant keep up? Im thinking of installing h22a Lude injectors, I hear they flow better, any ideas? BTW the engine sounds gorgeous with no intake, and its pretty loud at full song.