PDA

View Full Version : fuel line frozen?

dirty89lx5sp
01-27-2003, 06:26 AM
Okay...it's 9 deg. F here right now...my car will not start...It cranks fine and I can smell gas...but it's not firing...could it be that my line is frozen? It started and ran initially for about 30 sec. with my foot on the gas but it wasn't using it for some reason. I'm under the impression that it's too cold for it...any suggestions...I have to be at work at 11 it's 9:30 now.

dirty89lx5sp
01-27-2003, 06:43 AM
make that 10 deg and no start!

ACCORD EX
01-27-2003, 07:35 AM
remove the fuel hose going to the carb ! and remove it ! ask someone to turn the ignition on (till you hear the fuel pump eagages ) and see if there is fuel coming out ! !?

MIKE

dirty89lx5sp
01-27-2003, 07:38 AM
don't have a buddy right now

dirty89lx5sp
01-27-2003, 07:39 AM
have cranked it numerous times...when cranking and no gas pedal...low idle crank up to 200....with gas pedal pressed car shakes violently and the rpms go up to 600...but I'm not getting a firing...could have flooded it.

Grant2k
01-27-2003, 07:50 AM
if you smell gas there proably isn't anything freezing. it's a stupid idea, but once when it was cold i warmed the spark plug on my 3wheeler over the stove and it fired. this isn't practical with 4 plugs, though. did you try spraying either down the carb? when you do get it running put in some dry gas just to be safe.

87accordlxph
01-27-2003, 09:10 AM
The battery's probably froze.
Try a battery warmer and she'll crank and start up faster.

-Mike

dirty89lx5sp
01-28-2003, 06:40 AM
okay...got some starting fluid...no dice..didn't phase it...car is trying to turn over it cranks...but now I'm at a loss and don't know where to start chasing problems...any hints?

Grant2k
01-28-2003, 07:44 AM
well, last night i got to experience the same thing. I had been snowboarding and my car was sitting in the parking lot in -14 degree weather for like 5 hours. i got in and it started fine. i drove it for about 5 minutes and stopped at Burger King and when i came out it wouldn't start. it was cranking and it sounded like it wanted to fire but it just wasn't getting enough gas to turn over. i just kept trying and eventually it started, but i thought i was gonna kill my battery in the process. it couldn't be a frozen battery like 87accordlxph said because it was cranking and getting power fine. my radio turned on and everything. this reminded me of when it did the same thing in October. the car has new fuel filters so that at least rules that out. i'm out of ideas.

3rd GEN
01-28-2003, 09:22 AM
try getting block heaters put in..
I know I have one in my car.. and on those really cold nights, i just plug her in.. and in the morning...she starts up and purrs like a kitten...and it revs at about 1500 cuz the engine is already warm, so no need for it to rev at 2k..

but ya.. it's a night and day diff in the way it runs, when plugging it in overnight as compared to not doing so

dirty89lx5sp
01-30-2003, 06:58 AM
I think my plugs may be fouled from running so rich this past month or so...On Monday I will be rebuilding carb (fingers crossed) and hoping for the best...but I will need to pull the plugs...I have a 5/8 deep well socket and it won't go over the plug...what is right size?!~?