PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Question

88 Accord DX
01-27-2003, 08:58 AM
when you pull the trunk release handle what happens?
my trunk just unlocks and i have to lift it manually. should it pop up all the way or is this normal? if it is normal what can i do to make it pop up all the way???

AZmike
01-27-2003, 01:20 PM
The torsion bars can be moved to a higher torque position to help lift the trunk more. The Helm manual shows a special tool (I think, this is from memory), but a good size pry bar will probably work too.

There are two bars running across the trunk near the rear passenger seat. If you move the bars to the other set of grooves that should do it. It should also make the trunk more difficult to close. I've never tried it myself, so I can't be much more specific. It shouldn't take long to try though.

ACCORD EX
01-27-2003, 01:45 PM
mine doesn't it go up ! and i don't like when a trunk goes upp all the way ! :)

MIKE

AZmike
01-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Mine just unlocks also and comes open a few cm when I pull the release. It may still not open all the way if you move the torsion bars, but since it doesn't look too hard I'd say it's worth a try.

86accord4dr
01-27-2003, 04:44 PM
mine's the same as 89lxi4dr's... though sometimes the key won't open it from the outside.. it just turns but doesn't unlock... but if i pull the release inside it works like a dream...

my hood on the other hand...

88 Accord DX
01-27-2003, 05:19 PM
ive seen those torsion bars and even tried to move them by hand but that didnt work too well. i guess ill just leave it.

86accord4dr
01-27-2003, 05:20 PM
yeah... as long as you can get in there what does it matter.

like some hot chicks gonna be walking by as you open your trunk manually. and go "loser" not likely

88 Accord DX
01-27-2003, 05:25 PM
no i just was wondering cuz on my moms car when you push the button from inside it pops open with a cool noise and she has a button on her keychain that also makes it pop open which is good when you hands are full or you wanna put your friend back there with fake blood and ropes and when people walk by pop the trunk.

dXsquared
01-27-2003, 05:26 PM
i have to have two people to open my hatch... one to pull the lever and one to open it! maybe i need a new cable.. mine is pretty rusted cuz im in the SNOWBELT in ontario... i have a new one from HONDA... but its a bitch to put in... should i be able to do it with one guy?

Travis

2old_honda
01-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
i have to have two people to open my hatch... one to pull the lever and one to open it! maybe i need a new cable.. mine is pretty rusted cuz im in the SNOWBELT in ontario... i have a new one from HONDA... but its a bitch to put in... should i be able to do it with one guy?

Travis

when you do get it open does it stay up by itself, or do you have to hold it open? do you have to push it all the way up, or will it go up on its own?

if you have to lift it all the way up and hold it there your problem might not be the cable, the problem is your lift struts are bad. you can get new ones from a auto parts store. they are pretty cheap.