PDA

View Full Version : First time Honda owner with a few questions!

billfrank85
08-13-2016, 01:56 PM
Hello guys and gals. Made the switch from GM (after owning/working on/fixing dozens over the past 12 or so years) to Honda yesterday! I grabbed an 89 Accord 5 speed with 150k miles. Interior is immaculate, exterior has a few dings and some rust spots but nothing too crazy. Has the hidden headlights, sunroof, power everything etc. I love it already although it needs some work:

Loud exhaust: has stock looking muffler though. Probably have a hole somewhere.

Needs front end alignment/balanced wheels.

Twitchy tach.

Driver side front window completely detached from track, held up with suction cups at the bottom to keep it from sliding into the door. New hardware needed? All other windows seem somewhat slow.

I plan on doing timing belt, seals, water pump, valve adjustment, and a complete tune up asap. Then a new converter and a less restrictive muffler possibly. What's the stock exhaust pipe size?

Finally, are there any quirks or common problems I should look for on the car?

Thanks in advance!

Dr_Snooz
08-16-2016, 07:05 PM
Welcome! The twitchy tach is frequently caused by a failing ICM. Enjoy working on the car!

Tdurr
08-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Welcome & congrats on the switch to hondas! Your exhaust being loud is probably a rust hole. I think the factory pipe is like 1.75in. I would just replace it all with 2.25 pipe.
Only common problem I can think of is main relay having bad solder joints that will cause a no start on hot days.

billfrank85
08-18-2016, 08:59 PM
There is a large hole right behind the catalytic converter...discovered that earlier as I was poking around. Also today it was about 84 degrees and the car would crank forever without starting, over multiple tries, and then finally start and run just fine. Does that sound like the main relay?

MessyHonda
08-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Tdur is right. we have 27 year old main relays nowdays. the best bet is to buy a new one from honda if they are still avaliable. I picked one up from honda and paid 50 dollars. the cheap fix is to take out the current one and just resolder the contacts on the board. good luck getting it out. honda put it right under the dash and its at a hard to reach area.

billfrank85
08-20-2016, 08:37 PM
I'm hoping I can just access the wiring, unplug it, connect the new one and just mount it elsewhere.

MessyHonda
08-22-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm hoping I can just access the wiring, unplug it, connect the new one and just mount it elsewhere.

thats what i did. new one is just up in the dash. if i park it in a sketchy area i just take it out or when i leave for vacation so no one can drive it. lol

Tdurr
08-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Dang I didn't know you could get new ones still. Imma hit up my Honda dealer plug lol

billfrank85
08-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Replaced plugs, wires, and icm/igniter today. Tach still all over the place and it took about 12 starts at about 3-4 seconds each before it started. Thinking engine coolant temp sensor. Ecu codes guide says it will do what I'm experiencing when it goes bad...unfortunately I think the led light on my ecu is dead so I can't check that way.

Tdurr
08-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Is your check engine light one? & coolant temp sensor won't make it do that I don't think... Try redoing your engine grounds...see if that helps

billfrank85
08-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Nope it's not on but the grounds do look crusty. I'll clean them up and see what happens.

billfrank85
09-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Haven't messed with the grounds yet but I did replace the engine coolant temp sensor (white connector) and now the car starts perfectly first try, every time. Tach still bounces around but I'm very happy the starting issue was resolved.