PDA

View Full Version : car sputters...why?

superaccord
01-27-2003, 10:52 PM
my girlfriend's 93 honda prelude will sputter all of a sudden while shes driving it. It's kinda like your driving, and you put the car in neutral, the rpms go to zero,and then you stick it back in gear it kicks back up. But it does this when ever. THen after it does that a couple of times it'll just die whiles shes driving it. All the power is still on in the car. kinda like when you have water in your distributer... but thats not the case. Does this make sense? WEll, i just wanted to ask you guys cause when i need it your always there. well if you know or have any ideas, drop me a line.
thanks,
matt

SiR
01-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Try doing a tune-up if it needs one. Check the spark plugs, they might be really bad! It might always be low fuel press.

superaccord
01-28-2003, 12:11 AM
thank u!

anchovies
01-28-2003, 01:13 AM
Check EGR valve. I've read about this somewhere but can't find it and it's very similar to your problem, rpm goes low (or dies) when changing gears or neutral. They soaked the egr in carb cleaner. That solved the problem.

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-28-2003, 01:24 AM
Could also be water in the gas tank. My old Buick had that happen when my mom had it. Filled up with gas and there was a shitload of water in it. It spit, sputtered, and stalled for probably a month or more before it all finally got worked out. But do check and make sure all vacuum hoses are connected and tight, and all electrical connectors are connected and tight.

superaccord
01-28-2003, 12:38 PM
thanks a bunch you guys