PDA

View Full Version : disc brake rotor replacement decision

derolph
09-09-2016, 12:31 PM
I anticipate replacement of my front disc brake rotors soon. Advance Auto Parts has a slotted disc that I'm thinking of getting. You can see it at: ATE Brake Disc, Gas Slotted N100040624APO: Advance Auto Parts (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ate-brake-disc-gas-slotted-n100040624apo/10774968-P)

I've never had slotted discs installed. I searched for some info and found Drilled vs. Slotted Rotors - What are the Best Brake Rotors? (http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/drilled-or-slotted-rotors-what-are-the-best-brake-rotors.aspx) Thought I'd ask for opinions on them.

Tdurr
09-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Slotted. Drilled is more prone to cracking. Also see Google.

derolph
09-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Do you mean Slotted and Drilled is more prone to cracking?

MessyHonda
09-10-2016, 09:55 AM
I run EBC brakes and they have slotted and dimpled. They where great when AEM made pads but now I just use the the EBC race pads and I never had a problem.

derolph
09-10-2016, 10:48 AM
I run EBC brakes and they have slotted and dimpled. They where great when AEM made pads but now I just use the the EBC race pads and I never had a problem.EBC and AEM are brands, right? Do I need to be concerned about brand and characteristics of pads I would use with slotted brakes? Or, can I use practically any mass-market pads with slotted rotors?

Tdurr
09-12-2016, 12:41 PM
I had the period there for a reason. Drilled is more prone to cracking.
you dont have to run any special pad for a slotted rotor. again hit up google. or go to the brake section and read up the faq on there.

carotman
09-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Just get regular rotors and a really good set of pads.

MessyHonda
09-18-2016, 09:17 AM
EBC and AEM are brands, right? Do I need to be concerned about brand and characteristics of pads I would use with slotted brakes? Or, can I use practically any mass-market pads with slotted rotors?

just stick to name brands. Dont use ebay brand. I had some rear drilled and slotted ebay disks on the rear and you can tell they rust faster and done use as premium. I ran them on the rear so they dont do much of the work like the front. It all depends on the pads. I used a budget big break upgrade on my coupe and just used premium rotors and a set of ceramic pads.

2ndGenGuy
09-22-2016, 11:01 AM
Just get regular rotors and a really good set of pads.

This exactly. The pads will make more difference than the drilled / slotted rotors ever will. Blanks have more friction surface, and for all practical purposes, are going to be the best choice for a street-driven car. Drilled and slotted do look pretty badass though, but that's really all the benefit you're going to get out of them.

derolph
05-17-2017, 07:49 AM
Thought I'd post an update on this. I finally got the rotors installed just 2 days ago. They are the slotted rotors that I mentioned in my original post. For pads, I bought Duralast Gold pads from AutoZone. I had these parts installed by a repair shop. I'm glad I had a shop do this because they found that the driver-side caliper was not properly releasing, as indicated by the inner pad being worn much more than the outer pad. But, they got the caliper properly cleaned and lubricated. I now realize the malfunctioning caliper was probably the cause of an occasional slightly noticeable tendency for the steering to pull left on the highway; note: the front end alignment is good.

So far, I'm pleased with the braking experience with the new rotors and pads. Of course, smooth braking is nice after experiencing some vibration issues (with the old rotors) from the left wheel when braking. And, the front brakes are refreshingly quiet now.

Dr_Snooz
05-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Let us know if they start wobbling at some point.

InAccordance
05-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Side note... Rockauto has a clearance on rotors... 5 to 6 bucks a pop
Same brands the stores carry.
Pads too.

CB Coupe SEi
06-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Hi, I bought this ebay brake kit for my Honda Element and love them. I've had them on for about 6 months thru winter. They are ceramic pads and the slotted and drilled rotors that have a special coating that keeps them from rusting. So far very pleased great stopping, no visible rusting and will be ordering them for both my 89 Accord and my 94 civic.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Rotors-FULL-KIT-POWERSPORT-DRILLED-SLOTTED-PADS-Honda-ACCORD-1989-Sei/391958839279?fits=Year%3A1989%7CMake%3AHonda%7CMod el%3AAccord&hash=item5b42913fef:g:~7cAAOSwY3daVX4r