PDA

View Full Version : Accord Tranny Problems

Slamed89Accord
01-28-2003, 06:36 PM
I have an 89 Accord Dx Automatic with 90,500 miles on it and just like the last few days its been real cold and the tranny's been actin up then this morning i was goin to school and it wouldnt go out of 1st gear then finally it shifted into second. The night before i checked the fluid and it was low so this morning i added some (a quart) and it shifted to 3rd then it started doin it again not shiftin outta second.so i started manually shiftin it and every once in awhile it will go into third and fourth. I talked to my auto teacher and he said change the tranny filter and add fluid and stuff and it should be fine. WQell i went to the auto store to get a filter and it said on teh computer you have to drop the tranny to change filters. Is this true? He said i would be better off to flush it. You guys think if i do that it will be back to normal or you think the tranny is shot?
Any help is appreciated!

carotman
01-28-2003, 06:46 PM
just change the fluid for some Honda ATF

The filter is inside the transmission and can't be changed

Slamed89Accord
01-28-2003, 07:32 PM
i didnt change but added some 2 quarts today that i added and it still doin it so i am gonna try to flush it and hopefully it will be ok my teacher said there might be metal and stuff stuck in the filter. And thats why it aint shifting.

Mantis88LX
01-28-2003, 07:45 PM
mine used to do the same, if u over fill it by just a little it will do that, mine still does it sometimes but only when it is really cold, so i have to let it warm up extra warm

AccordEpicenter
01-28-2003, 10:30 PM
well there are some metal screens that can get plugged up, you might wanna try changing the tranny oil too.

Slamed89Accord
01-29-2003, 01:14 PM
my dad took the car to the shop today and they said its burnin the fluid up in the tranny or somethin and i am gettin a new tranny so thanks guys.