PDA

View Full Version : B-16 swap in the 3G

AccordR26
01-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Hey guys, i am currently preserving my 3 G with some new mods,
motor swap
new paint
and some new looks

but here is the question, i need a good reputable place where i can buy my motor (b-16 ) and Cable driven trans, everyone seems to find me the hydro trans but i keep hearing bad things about that part of the swap, and i dont feel like being at summit point raceway when trans decieds to not shift anymore, so if anyone knows aof any importers or yards on the east coast that may have this motor let me know, also whats everyones feedback on the place racing swap kit?

[email protected]

OldSchoolSwap
01-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah, you need the 1st Gen B16 motor with cable tranny and PR3 or PWO ecu.

They are easy to get a hold of down here in Miami. Not shure about your area though.
Don't know how to help you there. :(
I'll keep you in mind though.

AccordR26
01-29-2003, 03:45 PM
THANKS MAN, I HAVE A RELATIVE THAT OWNS A IMPORT JUNK YARD SO PARTS ARE GONNA BE EASY TO GET AS WELL AS CHEEP,
ILL SEND YOU SOME PICS OF THE CAR AS IT GOES THROUGH ITS CHANGES, SINCE YOUR CAR WAS THE INPERATION BEIND MINE, ONLY DIFFERENCE IS I AM USING NEW MOLDINGS FROM HOND, BLACK KONIG WILD CARDS, AND A CUSTOM MACHINED BLACK ANODIZED WING, AND A CARBON FIBER HOOD, I HOPE YOU DONT MINF TOO MUCH.

OldSchoolSwap
01-30-2003, 07:51 AM
I don't mind at all. Why should i mind? :)
I'm glad your going through with your car.

dXsquared
01-30-2003, 08:02 AM
www.jaydm.com

they have the whole shootin match for 1300 bucks
cable tranny, ECU and even a LSD if you ask... it will be more, but worth it

Travis

dXsquared
01-30-2003, 08:05 AM
BTW they are the J spec B16's for that price... USDM will be cheaper

Travis

Y3G
02-05-2003, 03:40 PM
ya but JDM is more fun!

shepherd79
02-05-2003, 05:04 PM
did any of you even look what that guy has?
he has LX, carb engine. i think first thing we should ask him if he is doing EFI conversion, and then telling him about B16.

AccordR26
02-06-2003, 12:20 PM
the more and more i think about it, why would i need to convert the car to efi? since i have the motor, trans, ecu and wiring hardness for the b16.

???????????????

i am not going to use the old hardness or the old ecu.

netfreak
02-06-2003, 10:59 PM
VTEC and carbs don't mix...

Jims 86LXI HB
02-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
www.jaydm.com

they have the whole shootin match for 1300 bucks
cable tranny, ECU and even a LSD if you ask... it will be more, but worth it

Travis

:D How about the same thing for $1050

http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/honda/b16a1/index.html

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
02-06-2003, 11:30 PM
wow 1300 B16 not bad!!
Given that fact that I know some dude who paid 1200 for his set up!! :lol sorry I could not hold it in!! oh it pains me!! facking non-OBD cars!!!! DAMMM You!!

AccordR26
02-07-2003, 05:43 AM
I know vtec and carbs dont mix, listen to what i am saying, if you through out everything that was in the car b4, EVERYTHING!!,
And start with a new b16, cable trans, ecu form that motor and the wiring harness from that motor , and the kit from place racing , why would i still have to convert my old mootor to efi if i am only going to rip it out anyway? which is already out by the way.

netfreak
02-07-2003, 11:26 AM
I meant putting in a new fuel pump and whatever else is necessary to run the new one on EFI.. Haven't looked into the conversion so I'm not too sure what else is required.

Y3G
02-07-2003, 07:16 PM
the tank has to go(the fi and the carb tanks have diffrent guts) a new pump(electrical not mechanical)Lines need some tweeking but i would know nothing about that?would i???

civteck
02-10-2003, 10:22 AM
the carb gas tank will work but you have to change the pump housing and add a high press line to the front of the car. the old feed line will have to become your return line, and remove both filters. its not too hard at all i did the placeracing swap in my car and had it running in a weekend. my car is a dx, the hardest part is the hard wiring in the cab of the car. placeracing made me a harness with vtec already wired in it so it made it that much easier. if anyone is thinking of buying the kit let me know first. oh yeah i bought a b18a from fullthrottle nyc with a cable trans for 600. now add 500 for a vtec head and you have a motor that is more hp than a b18c1 (gsr). just something to think about cause the hp and torque is far more than a b16

Jims 86LXI HB
02-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by civteck
oh yeah i bought a b18a from fullthrottle nyc with a cable trans for 600. now add 500 for a vtec head and you have a motor that is more hp than a b18c1 (gsr). just something to think about cause the hp and torque is far more than a b16

Far more hp?:huh:

B16a(sir1) $1150 for engine/tranny/ecu
160hp@7600RPM/111lb-ft@7000

B18c1
170hp@7600RPM/128lb-ft@6200

A Ls/Vtec swap, does not have the same bearing technology as the C1, it does not have the stronger rods or the C1 and it does not have the dual plane intake manifold like the C1. Yes it's cheaper, but at what price for realibility and that dual plane intake manifold, inhances low end torque on the C1.

civteck
02-12-2003, 12:40 PM
ok are you going to have the harness made or are you going to buy a activator for the secondary solonoid on the intake? and if the dual stage intake is soo good how come the c5 doesent have it? as for the rods how much power do you expect to make? if your serious about power youll prob get some eagles when you rebuild it right? the ls/vtec has more disp than a c1 which
=more torque, put a b16 head and your at 185hp. it will hold power op to 250 or somewhere, thats where mine let out but it did have a 75 shot. oh well. im just tryin to suggest a motor combo that wont break the bank but will break speed laws. and it comes with a cable trans which is needed for the swap anyway

AccordR26
02-12-2003, 03:51 PM
well i am open for all suggestions, please forgive me but but i am new to this swap, the car is already media blasted and waiting for me to transs port it to the paint shop, ... i was going with a b16 with cable trans for $ 1200 from jdm honda parts, but if someone else can suggest a different motor and trans for about the same price i would greatly appriciate it, i am looking to end up around 250 hp when i am all done with, i was thinking on installing ajackson racing supercharger later this summer after i got the bugs worked out of the B16.. what do you guys think?????? B16 then super charger , or is jackson racing still having problems with the supercharger causing early detination problems. or do you think this will be a sweet combo or should i go with a different motor combo???? not much time left!!! i am planing on calling johnatthen from place racing the first week of march to order my kit.

Jims 86LXI HB
02-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by civteck
ok are you going to have the harness made or are you going to buy a activator for the secondary solonoid on the intake? and if the dual stage intake is soo good how come the c5 doesent have it? as for the rods how much power do you expect to make? if your serious about power youll prob get some eagles when you rebuild it right? the ls/vtec has more disp than a c1 which
=more torque, put a b16 head and your at 185hp. it will hold power op to 250 or somewhere, thats where mine let out but it did have a 75 shot. oh well. im just tryin to suggest a motor combo that wont break the bank but will break speed laws. and it comes with a cable trans which is needed for the swap anyway

How much more displacement does a ls/vtec have over a c1? 50cc's isn't it?

C5 doesn't have the dual stage intake in a effort for all out power production at the expence of low end torque. The stronger rods are in the C1 and C5 for a reason, honda did several things for those motors so they will last a longer in spite of the rev level's that they will see, things that a ls/vtec would not have. If I was serious about power I'd start with the C1 or if I had to watch the $ I'd go b16a. I would not get something that needed to be rebuilt anytime soon.

civteck
02-12-2003, 07:28 PM
everybody does it their own way. i would never put a motor in a car expecting major bolt ons without rebuilding it first. thats just me, if you take an ls block and bore it close to a 1.95l disp and then the comp ratio where you want it you have a kick ass motor. mine is almost ready. as for boost im not much a fan of supercharging so i have a bad reply. hey r26 when you get a price from placeracing let me know cause i still have the whole kit in my garage.

OldSchoolSwap
02-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Hey R26 and all you guys, if you need PlaceRacing stuff, let me know, i should be able to get a better deal then PlaceRacing dirrect.