PDA

View Full Version : Re-Connecting Water Temp Gauge?

Site
01-29-2003, 09:23 AM
When I converted to DCOEs I disconnected the water temp gauge from the engine somehow. Can someone please tell me what I need to re-connect to make it work again?

Thanks!

OldSchoolSwap
01-29-2003, 10:47 AM
What happened to the wiring plug that connect on top of the thermo?

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Yea it's the skinny black plug on the thermostat housing, right behind the green and white plug temp sensors on the top.

Site
01-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Here's my problem (see pic below). The temp gauge sending unit on the carbed engines is located on the intake manifold. I don't have the stock intake manifold anymore, so the sending unit is gone.

I also have the thermowax switching valve (huh?) disconnected (seems it was hooked up to the stock intake manifold as well). My car has been taking a VERY long time to heat up lately, I wonder if that's the cause. Also, there is a vacuum hose at the bottom of the cooling fan motor that is disconnected (cut). I'm gonna have to keep an eye on it and make sure the fan is still operating.

Wow, ditch the stock intake manifold on a carbed engine and you lose a lot!

PhydeauX
01-29-2003, 12:12 PM
On the lx the water temp gague is on the intake manifold. You'll need to transfer it to the thermostat housing to make things work. What I did was just use an LX-i thermo stat housing. It works, but interfers with the distributor. I removed the module from mine and use the magnetic pickup to directly triger my msd. With the igntior on there you won't beable to get the full range of timing adjustment. Though you should be able to have it timed to spec with the lx-i housing. You could also drill a hole in your LX thermostat housing and tap it to fit the thermostat sensor. Remember its metric pipe thread and I really doubt that you'll easily find a metric pipe tap in the us. Just use a normal metric tap but DON'T run it all the way in. Just tap it far enough that you can screw the sensor about halfway in by hand. Crank it on there tight with a wrench and make sure you used thread sealant. There should be a spot on the top of the housing that can be drilled. It looks like it was cast with the intention of having a sensor fitted, but it never was.

andy

Site
01-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by PhydeauX
You could also drill a hole in your LX thermostat housing and tap it to fit the thermostat sensor. Remember its metric pipe thread and I really doubt that you'll easily find a metric pipe tap in the us. Just use a normal metric tap but DON'T run it all the way in. Just tap it far enough that you can screw the sensor about halfway in by hand. Crank it on there tight with a wrench and make sure you used thread sealant.

andy
Thx Andy! I'm going to give that a try.

PhydeauX
01-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Here's one that I was making to replace my LX-i housing. The cap is a real pain to take off the distributor with the llx-i housing. I ran the tap in too far and it will most likely leak.

http://phy.37industries.com:3000/accordpics/dcoe_lx_tempsender.jpg

andy

Site
01-29-2003, 12:42 PM
What did you do about the "thermowax switching valve"? (see the pic in my post above)

Doesn't the thermowax unit work with the stock carburetor to knock the idle down once the car is warmed up? The tubes on my thermowax unit are disconnected and I'm not sure they serve a purpose without the stock carburetor.

PhydeauX
01-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Its just pluging the hole in the t-stat housing. If you look at the one in my pic its broken, makes no diference. You could just stick a short bolt in where it was if you wanted. I think that one there controled the other part of the vacuume advance. It would show vacuume to the second chamber of the advance diaphragm to give the car slightly more advance at idle when it was cold. The idle kickdown is controled by the choke breaker I believe.

andy

2old_honda
01-29-2003, 12:58 PM
hey Andy, do you know what size thread the water temp gauge has? Also, what did you guys do with your vac advance?

PhydeauX
01-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Offhand I don't have hte thread size. I think it was 6mmx1.00 but thats just a guess. I have my vac advance taped to one of the runners on the intake manifold. Having a small line connecting all the runners and taping it to that would be ideal, but just one works. It'll be replaced with a megajolt (http://www.bgsoflex.com/mjl/mjl_edis.html) a soons as they release the schmatics and I can sucessfully build one.

andy

Site
01-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 2old_honda
hey Andy, do you know what size thread the water temp gauge has? Also, what did you guys do with your vac advance?
I tapped my vacuum advance (both tubes) into one runner as well. I used a "y" adapter to join the 2 into 1.

2old_honda
01-29-2003, 07:11 PM
:cool: thanks guys

A20A1
01-30-2003, 01:57 AM
What is the larger temp sensor on the rear of the block for?
On the Lx-I motor it was plugged and relocated on the thermostat housing...

I also found it was better to use the lx thermostat housing, since I really didn't need any sensors.