PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt adjustment?!

89AccordNate
01-29-2003, 04:29 PM
After doing my water pump I watched it spin all happy and I noticed my timing belt had some play in it. It was recently changed, so I dont think it needs a new one..but how do I tighten it up? Is this a mechanics job? Can I just guess and check with the tension of my finger or do I really need a timing light? I dont know shit about them..so what can I do? Its flapping to the point where its lashing out and about touching the plastic....it creates a rough start.

Damn water pump!

Nate.

doug
01-29-2003, 05:15 PM
this one you don't want to skimp on. you need to take off the cover and check the tensioner spring. basically a small wheel that is spring loaded keeps the proper tension on the belt, if the spring gets weak you have less tension, possibly a slipping belt.
also if the tensioner wheel gets dirt in the pivot it can affect the amount of tension.

AZmike
01-29-2003, 06:06 PM
The 12 mm bolt that sticks out of the lower timing belt cover farther than most adjusts the timing belt tension. Tightening that bolt may solve your problem with no further disassembly.

Grant2k
01-29-2003, 06:28 PM
did they change your tensioner when they changed the belt? i know it is recomended, and i changed my tensioner with my belt and have had no problems. But like Mike said, check that bolt.

AZmike
01-29-2003, 07:00 PM
Timing belt broke, go here for news:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=138524#post138524