PDA

View Full Version : Timing and Spark Woes

freakosaurus
09-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, so be gentle ;-) I have an 89 Accord LX with some recent history:
Problem #1: no fuel - the problem was the fuel pump, which after replacement the car ran
Problem #2: no spark, ICM replaced with one from a wrecker...probably not the best idea but then ran for a while, then...
Problem #3: timing belt stripped a bunch of teeth

At this point I replace the timing belt, but now am back to no spark...so, did I screw up the timing, or is something in the ignition circuit broken? I lined up the lines on the cam to the cylinder head and I lined the 'I' on the flywheel up with the bell housing mark, so my timing should be good...is it possible to be 180 degrees out on this? Also, if I was 180 out, would that prevent me from getting spark...ie, nothing from the pickup coil to trigger the ICM? I would have thought I would still have spark but the car would run like a bag of crap or not at all.

Anyway, so I replaced a bunch of stuff in my ignition circuit as well to try to get spark...basically everything except the distributor itself (all new parts: coil, ICM, cap/rotor, plugs, wires). I checked the condenser and that seems ok. The pickup coil in the distributor seems ok as well. The fact that I get no spark (even from the coil, which does get ignition voltage by the way) leads me to believe that the ICM isn't doing it's job. The one that I bought is this one: More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS LX539 (http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=49860&cc=1166969) but all the parts stores have no idea what 'thermactor emissions' means (could someone shed some light on this? are they all like that?) I am wondering if I bought the right part! The original has 'NEC MC-5357' stamped into it. :banghead::banghead:

Any help to get this little old gal back on the road would be really appreciated as it's getting cold on the motorcycle in the morning on the way to work! Thanks!

Oldblueaccord
09-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Any luck?

Did you Ohm out the pick up coil? I dont know the specs off hand but thats where I would start.

Testing spark you could pull the distributor out and turn it by hand and see if it sparks that way. Also check the gap with the pick up to the reluctor if its hitting anything it may not make and break like it should. Grounding the coil negative momentarily should give you one single spark to check the coil operation.

There is TECH and Hatachi distributors that is why there are some different part numbers components to each.

Dr_Snooz
10-03-2016, 03:33 PM
You want to line up the flywheel with the "T" mark, though that probably isn't your problem. There are a few different and confusing marks on the flywheel, so make sure you have it right.

The manual is your best friend (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5uftmt1/AAA0VFYqWyfZ35Nvudl0xk_Oa?dl=0). Download the "1989 Accord Service Manual" and read through chapter 24's Ignition System section (starting on p. 24-4). Test out the parts using the guides. There's lots of good stuff there that will get you sorted out. Let us know what you learn.