PDA

View Full Version : Work your ass off to only kill your car?!

89AccordNate
01-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Well, I think the 3g met its match about 20 minutes ago. It idled fine, so I decided after the new water pump installation it was time for a test drive. I was slightly concerned about the timing belt, but it didnt seem that bad...so I put the cover on it and cranked it up..

I drove it for about 20 feet...got stuck on a speed bump because my car was to low..so I backed up to go back to the house...on the way in reverse the RPMS die....cer dies...car is just drifting..

So I stop..nearly at the same place I began... so now the car WILL NOT turn over. I cranked on it once, it sounds really dry, like theres nothing in the motor but the starter..its going to the shop tommorrow, I have had it.

I worked my ass off to fix the fucking water pump....I have a feeling the timing belt snapped, I know nothing else that could make it do this...any ideas? Im not looking at it anymore...so pissed off to bust my ass for this to happen..I dont know what the deal is.....

Such bad luck, luckily I live 50 yards from a mechanic.

Pain in my ass....the 3gs days are limited...5th gen may be in the books.

Nate.

goldyaccord
01-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Good luck Nate.

AZmike
01-29-2003, 06:46 PM
Who did your recent timing belt change mentioned in that other thread? It sounds like they are at fault.

89AccordNate
01-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Well, name this belt..yes its the timing belt...its gone..the 3g is gone for good :(..........Why does shit always go this way...I didnt even touch the FUCKING thing?!!

http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/belt.jpg

89AccordNate
01-29-2003, 06:48 PM
The belt was changed a LONG time ago......I just called my mom and asked her..my uncle sold me the car..I bet it was over 60k miles ago...

But I dont know why it snapped!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck.

Nate.

89AccordNate
01-29-2003, 06:54 PM
The shop is getting called tommorrow.........

What should I expect to be charged to have it changed? Is there a chance it trashed the motor? I cranked it once, once it died...shit!!

Such frustration.
Nate.

bobafett
01-29-2003, 06:56 PM
srry to hear that. but a 5g accord is a nice car!

86accord4dr
01-29-2003, 06:56 PM
but your car isn't DEAD dead.. just needs some work dude. i know you're frustrated but shit it's not like you blew a piston or something... it's just a belt

89AccordNate
01-29-2003, 06:58 PM
There is a chance that 'just the belt' ruined all of the valves too....its not something to fuck with...its not like blowing a alt belt.

Nate.

Neuspeed87lx
01-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 86accord4dr
but your car isn't DEAD dead.. just needs some work dude. i know you're frustrated but shit it's not like you blew a piston or something... it's just a belt

well we dont know if the motor is gone... if the timing belt snaps it can do damage to the motor ...

shepherd79
01-29-2003, 07:15 PM
well, if you were going slow, it may just be the belt. cross your fingers and pray.

TJ89Accord
01-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Yah u might have bent a valve. If so, u can still get a new head for it, right? I just got my Accord, and the guy I got it from gave me reciepts for the water pump timing belt and all that. Hopefully I wont have to deal with any of that for a while. Most people change the water pump and timing belt at the same tome too.

good luck

tim

87accordlxi
01-29-2003, 10:37 PM
it may just be the belt, but since you tried to start it up afterward, then i'd say you probably bent some valves.

sanjay
01-29-2003, 10:42 PM
sorry to hear that shit nate...l

od2681
01-29-2003, 10:45 PM
the timing belt on my cousins 90 mazda 929 broke and his car came to a complete stop....we all thought his car was gone....fortunately nothing happened and the only thing to replace was the timing belt

Jareds 89 LX-i
01-29-2003, 10:56 PM
Sorry to hear it Nate. But you never know, especially since you were going slow, you may have just gotten lucky and the cam stopped just at the right spot and didn't do any valve damage. It has happened before! I'd just replace the belt and go from there. If it starts, do a compression and/or leakdown test to see if any valves were bent.

Good luck!

Vanilla Sky
01-29-2003, 11:19 PM
damn man... strip the car of all it's decent components, then torch the bastard... then go get that 5gee or you can even get a 6gee fairly cheap... what about a 4 gee lude? i'd say that's another good choice

personally, though, with all the work you've done on it, i'd either fix the engine, or swap in like a b20a... all in all, it's up to you

sorry to hear about the shit luck

netfreak
01-30-2003, 01:05 AM
Hi there Mr. Interference Engine. Hopefully you haven't knocked your valves to shit...

If it's looking bad, you can have my entire beat-to-hell engine for free :D

1989 DX R
01-30-2003, 04:33 AM
Yup, you probably have some bent valves. If you can get a j/y head cheap, then go for it. If not, screw the shit and get a 5th gen.

OldSchoolSwap
01-30-2003, 05:38 AM
awww! fack, fak, fac, faaaack!!!!!!

What a mission bro! Expect a $200 to $300 bill for the timing belt replacement.
This is the only way you'll find out if you bent it.
I blew the timing belt on my A20 back in 98 and i cranked the shit for half an hour and never bent any valves :D
Give it a shot, you'll never know man ;)

pearldrop
01-30-2003, 07:49 AM
All three of the people I know with 3rd gens who broke their timing belts all ended up with no problems. They just replaced the timing belt and it was all okay.
One of them was even doing 80 on the freeway and accelerating. To me it seems like there is a good chance that nothing is wrong with the engine.
Besides that, if the engine is bad you can find a japanese engine for it for $300 if you look around. I didn't change my timing belt from 112,000 miles to 240,000 miles on purpose because I wanted mine to break. It was cheaper to replace the engine than to have the timing belt changed (I refuse to do that myself because it sucks).

89AccordNate
01-30-2003, 08:02 AM
Its going to the honda dealership, the bill is looking to be $360..for new belts, new timing belt, and yes..sadly..a new water pump..all OEM parts..the tow truck driver should be here pretty soon to get the dead 3g...oh well.

Nate.

RobT5580
01-30-2003, 08:04 AM
I was gonna offer my old head but its for a Lxi and dont know if it will work on an Lx. If it does you can have it just pay the shipping from CT (No cam though Coroncho just took it off my hands) send me a PM if you can use it.

Rob

86accord4dr
01-30-2003, 04:14 PM
awww. that's too bad nate.

so you're gonna keep her running? good choice. i dont' know about most ppl but the i think the 3g is the nicest looking out of the accords. the 4th's arent' too bad but the newer ones are too rounded and generic looking... plus no more flip up headlights

89AccordNate
01-30-2003, 06:45 PM
I dont know what im going to do yet. The car went to the honda dealership today, what a bitch to get that lowered dead 3g onto a roll back! It was behind a bronco, it looked sooooooo small behind that thing. It should be done by saturday, or monday..I'm not sure yet. Its going to cost $360.00 so far...all of that over a damn water pump. I am still not sure if the valves are bent..I dont know anything yet!

My grandmother is selling her 5th gen to buy a 2003 accord..its a 96, 50k miles, black, 20% tint, immaculate condition..

The 3g just is becoming less and less practical for me... and I think its days are over........The chances are high its getting sold when I get it back...the sad part is that it probably has another 100k miles in it...the body is near perfect...original paint...no rust..

http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/new3g.jpg
http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/new3geez.jpg

:( Bye bye 3g!

Nate.

blazin3gen
01-30-2003, 06:50 PM
can i have the rims :) What ever makes you happy nate! u planning on buying your grandmas 5th gen??

Coitis1
01-30-2003, 07:18 PM
sorry to hear about that belt snapping. when my older brother bought his talon last year he didn't get the belt checked and it ended up snappng. it cracked a cylinder and i think did some other damage. he had to dump a couple of grand into it. this reminds me, i need to rush to get my belt checked.

87Hybrid
01-30-2003, 07:41 PM
the timing belt on my cousins 90 mazda 929 broke and his car came to a complete stop....we all thought his car was gone....fortunately nothing happened and the only thing to replace was the timing belt

That is because Mazda make what is called a non interfearance engine. From the sounds of the 3 people that Pearldrop knows the 3 G is also But dont quote me on that.

89AccordNate
01-30-2003, 08:12 PM
The 3g is an inteference motor, I confirmed it today with 2 mechanics.

Nate.

Mike89Accordcom
01-31-2003, 02:04 AM
Who is going to want a DX Nate. Your grandmas car, what a joke. 5th Gen, come on now. Get something original. Those are almost as bad as civics. Little problems like this happen to the best of us right Nate. You always get your timing belt changed, YOU should know this. Looks like you slept on this one nate. You really should pay attention to your motor, and what needs to be changed and when. Then you could prevent this from happening. Pretty funny though. That's why my 3G has never had more then 2 minor problems, you know why because I take care of it. Take that timing belt and shove it up your ass!

gr3k0sLaV
01-31-2003, 02:22 AM
Nate you have BIN - R O L L E D!

Anyways enjoy fifth gen, lol.

While your chugging away on that, i'll be flying past in all my turbocharged 2.0ltr goodness....

carotman
01-31-2003, 04:12 AM
Yup, Mike is right, the same problem will happen to any car is you don'T do regular maintenance to it.

Mantis88LX
01-31-2003, 09:06 AM
mine broke while i was idling a few month ago. i didnt even know it could damage the engine, we repalced the belt and everything seems ok.

has anyone ever actually damaged there engine in a 3g from the belt breaking? so far it seems the 3g engine isnt very easy to damage just from that.

89AccordNate
01-31-2003, 10:28 AM
The timing belt has been changed before, I have a feeling it was my fault when I bumped the timing belt tensioner.........oops :D

Nate.

89AccordNate
01-31-2003, 01:10 PM
Ok, called the honda dealership today..it seems to look promising! $425 later I should be ready to rock and roll. Now the next question.......how much is the 5th gen getting sold for. Watch me drive the 3g and its some power machine since its all tuned now.

What an ordeal...but they fixed it sooo fast :)

Nate.

89AccordNate
01-31-2003, 01:11 PM
Oh yea, I didnt bend any valves! Wooooohoooo!

Nate.

89lxi95zx7
01-31-2003, 01:17 PM
If you have all this money to buy a 5th gen,why the hell would you waste your time and money replacing your waterpump?

Mantis88LX
01-31-2003, 01:34 PM
damn im starting to think our engines dont die from breaking timing belts, cuz some many people have had it happen and no problems.

89AccordNate
01-31-2003, 02:32 PM
Because I wanted to keep the car, the water pump breaks, isnt the obvious thing to do is to fix it even if you want to sell it?

Use your brain.....do you want to sell a car with a dead water pump? uhhhhhhh no...people dont like that.

I have the dough to do a lot of things, but im not into putting myself into a financial strain for a nice car..thats what gets you into trouble. I like the feeling of being financially stable. Having a nice car doesnt make me the person you are. Whether you have a Nice car or not, when you get out and walk away from it, you're once again a geek....so many people build cars because their geeks and they want to be cool..its lame.

Nate.

zinj
01-31-2003, 07:13 PM
Well, there are also people who have nice/pimped-out cars because they appreciate good craftsmanship, not because they want to look cool.

But I see your point; living within your means is where it's at. Actually, when you're young, living below your means is usually a good idea because your money is worth more (relatively), and you can save/invest for the future.

Then again, a nice car is tempting when you can afford it. :D

blazin3gen
01-31-2003, 08:26 PM
hey nate good thing your sticking with your car man

AccordEpicenter
01-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Ive talked to a bunch of honda techs and they say that the a20 is a non interference engine but newer accords 90+ are. I did see a 95 accord lx one time that blew a belt and those valves smashed right through the piston face! Bye bye engine

89AccordNate
02-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Ok kids, the honda got a new lease on life! I went and got my car from the dealership today, and damn does it purr...its going be hard to sell, I never knew little things like that would make it run sooo smooth.

Heres the run down for those of you who may encounter this problem.......

New Valve cover gasket (must be normal procedure, mine was just changed)
Timing Belt
Water Pump
PCV Valve
Altenator Belt
PS Belt
A/C Compressor Belt
2 oil seals.

Grand total... $365.10

Car runs like a brand new car now.....so smooth...

Well worth it to pay the little bit of extra money and have it done right.

Nate.

TJ89Accord
02-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Thats not a bad price at all. I had to pay like 750 for all that work on my old MR2. I had a few other things done too, but not too many. And you got it done at the Honda dealer???

tim

iloveJDMblackrims69
02-01-2003, 04:15 PM
I JUST SOLD MINE TODAY!!!!!!!! BOO HOO i miss my DX dearly......can i buy urs nate?!?!??! lol jp......i love ur car