PDA

View Full Version : Has ANYBODY seen this before?? Help needed PLEASE

Accordfastback
10-03-2016, 12:35 AM
89 Accord carb'd auto doesn't run and trying to figure out what has happened here and how to go about repairing it, be it air suction valve delete or other ideas to get it back on the road. Thanks in advance to any helpful information or ideas. You can see the plastic has melted where it connects to the Air Suction Valve right under the air filter bolt down

Accordfastback
10-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Come on people can someone help out PLEASE???

Dr_Snooz
10-04-2016, 07:28 PM
I'll tell you that I don't think that's your problem. Are you getting fuel? Spark? Start with the basics. That hole might give you a rough idle and some hesitation at lights, but I'd be surprised if it kept the car from running altogether.

Accordfastback
10-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Ok thanks, well the deal is the car is for sale for cheap and I was trying to diagnose it to make sure it wouldnt take a whole lot to get going and the seller thinks that was the reason it didnt run but must have just figured it was the problem when it couldnt fire up one day and got to poking around under the hood noticed that it isnt how it should be thus deemed the cause. But you say it really shouldnt effect its ability to start up, there's something else going on. Got it I'll go see what magic I can work on it. Also curious what would've caused that to happen, like excessive blow by or other signs of mechanical failures

Dr_Snooz
10-07-2016, 07:43 PM
What's the guy asking for it? A non-running car should cost next to nothing, so if it were an easy fix, he'd already have done it...?

askie85
10-11-2016, 08:43 PM
There is no such thing as an easy fix in a Honda. Hehe

Fixedit
10-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Hah, I remember coming across that craigslist at. White 4 door I believe. They wanted something like $400 for it. Yeah seems to me the only way any egr port on these would melt open is if the engine was burning really hot (lean mixture most likely), but I don't know if that's the first thing that would go in the event of extremely hot exhaust gasses. So it could be some valve/head damage.

On the other hand, maybe they caught a fire at the carb that melted a couple parts. In that case, EGR delete and Weber swap time! Hah, I don't know. It's a gamble, prepare yourself for the possibility of spending twice the amount they're asking by the time it's road worthy and you'll be okay haha

Accordfastback
10-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Well they were asking $200 but has been on there for over a month so I was gunna offer $100 if everything looked alright & what opinion i get when trying to start it if it sounds tight or some kind of mechanical problem. Also the other thing is my friend has a 89 lxi 2 door coupe with a trunk not a hatchback and I went threw it for him cuz it was leaking and burning oil BAD, couldn't drive it around it would smoke excessively under the hood from oil leaking onto exhaust, well I replaced valve cover gasket and the oil pan bolts were CRAZY loose! Anywho it runs very well doesn't over heat or smoke now and all around solid driver that just needs the windshield now, So I made a deal with him If I got threw EVERYTHING and get it ready to be a daily driver He would give me a 03 Grand caravan 99k mi very nice or was before he hit a curb and took out a stop sign blew out the tire and fucked up suspension shit, he brought it to a shop and was quoted over $2000 to get it fixed so he has no use for it now and Im pretty sure it would just need a new control arm w/ball joint and a strut assembly to be all good again. So I can get that if I replace the windshield in the Honda so I was kinda wanting it for that and a few other parts. But also I have found other cheap 3rd gen accords like real cheap so an idea I had was to get the cheap ones and make atleast one daily outta em and parts then scrap the rest for dollars.

Fixedit
10-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Nice, I'm too far away to grab it or I'd try and save it

Accordfastback
12-27-2016, 03:12 AM
Its been a minute but here's the UPDATE: The car didnt have spark plugs in it because seller claimed to misplace them when troubleshooting the car. Well got it home figured to put a little oil in each cylinder and turn it over before putting in plugs, so did that turned it over and spat water/coolant out of #2 cylinder, like quite a bit and would fill up fast so head gasket failure maybe even head warpage... Not worried about it so much cause like said Im using it to fix up my friends car but in process of getting a running/driving 87 accord and have more parts! Also anyone need some 89 accord 4 dr parts? I got em haha