PDA

View Full Version : My 1989 Accord LX Panda Coupe

Panduh
10-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Heyo recently moved back to MN and went onto to craigslist with a $1100 budget for a dd. Within minutes stumbled upon this gem before your eyes for a meager $700. I've previously owned an 88 civic hatch, as well as a 90 accord sedan. 88 civic definitely was hands down one of my favorite cars. Gas sippin go cart I could take across the country and back. Unfortunately both my previous Honda's were autos so there wasn't much fun in them but they were reliable cars.

I feel like this is the best deal I've ever gotten on a car. This is the first time I'm actually going to invest some time and money into a car. I don't know what it is about this Accord but I am in love with the car. I bring to this forum no knowledge of the car itself. My experience with cars goes as far as the year I spent in Highschool in a PSEO program going to the local tech college taking auto tech classes. Anyhow enough about me, more about the panda.

1989 Accord Panda LX Coupe

226k Miles

Standard transmission

... You know to be honest I don't know whats standard across the body types and trim levels so....

Power winders

rear drums
A20 fuel injected

The Cons

Reverse is effed, will go in you have to jam it though
Exhaust leak, not sure where yet
seatbelts only want to buckle about %30 of the time
Not sure if window motors are going or the mechanism needs grease
Air lever wont go from hot to cold (lmao)
Antenna broke af
Fans blow air but in order from loud to effin loud

pros

minimal rust for a 27 year old car IMO
no fluids leaking
Cruise control works
Panda paint job
no rips in the interior (even though its ugly maroon)
Most the air buttons work properly
Working lights ha

I don't have much exp with manual trans' but this shifts like a dream compared to my 94 celica that had half the miles on it.
Somewhere a long the line someone changed all the lights to blue/ blue leds, there's blue neon in the trunk and at the feet of driver and passenger, activated by a switch installed next to the antenna switch. one of those fighter jet switches. Oh yeah the dash is lit the eff up blue to the doors the headliner lamp everything.
Let's see moving on.... I think that about covers it.

Moving on I had never even really looked into these cars prior to seeing this one on craigslist about a week ago. But here are some rough plans I have for the car.

Tune up: plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap, rotor, etc.
Coilovers?
HIDs?
Attempt to tackle the rust?
Try to learn how to reupholster? (mom has sewing machines)
Louvers?
Antenna?
Aerodeck rear end? Think I saw a picture of this and thought it was pretty cool
Different wheels

So yeah that pretty much brings me to where I'm at, at this moment. Which is no where.

I just love that I can spin the tires on this car, and get 35mpg. I'm over the newness and I'm not beatin the piss out of it though.
Receiving the car in this shape makes me feel almost obligated to keep it in good shape and make it better.
Hope to learn a lot from you guys, maybe get some inspiration and tips.

Lastly the guy claimed he had the timing belt done 15k ago, I guess I have no reason not to believe him. Also told me its a non interference engine, I'm sure someone can confirm or deny. But yeah I won't take a million junky photos, here's one I took before the drive home today. So far I've put on about 550 miles with no doubt in this car for a second.

Really excited to see where I take this accord.

TLDR: it's a freaking Panda accord lx coupe 1989!

Tdurr
10-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Dude overload us with pictures. I love coupes so much! I also hate the maroon interior so I feel your pain there haha. Glad you love it so far man! Welcome to the 3geez world.

rushell
10-06-2016, 12:26 PM
welcome we are glad to have another 3gee member

Shane86
10-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Welcome home

Dr_Snooz
10-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Welcome welcome!

MessyHonda
10-08-2016, 07:44 AM
welcome. nice coupe

Panduh
10-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone. Pics soon but I'm frustrated this is the second time I've typed out a thought out post only to find out I've been logged out in that time and I have to redo it. So apologize in advance for this recklessly typed post. In the spare time I have now I'm going to pop the clutch on the 3geez search engine. List for personal reference to look back at plus for anyone to pass on knowledge of and save me time. Brace yourself or your eyes or whatever kind of long.
89 lx coupe = CA×
Available interior color options I might find.
Seat belt buckle issues, doesn't like to buckle.
U.S. sales numbers detailed as possible.
Anti-theft measures/ 3g accords commonly stolen?
Windows? 27yr motors dying or tracks need grease?
Parts info like...
Clutch, throw out/thrust bearings
Antena
Fog lights
HIDs
Fan noise/ normally loud?
Nose cover= bra?
Aerodeck rear end conversion?
common issues in general
Manual transmission
How effed is my reverse
Is it going to kill my 5th gear?
LSD? Possible with A20×
Is my gear box being rapidly ground to shavings? Dare I change the gear oil and look how much metal is in there?
Exhaust and options until my car is on a lift and I can see how bad the undercarriage is.
Was there mid model changes like plastics and tail lamps.
I feel like I had a better list before but oh well it will come back to me.

These are a strange car model. Wondering if the small number that seems to still be in existence will come to my advantage or disadvantage.

Thanks again for the welcoming. Please feel free to shed some light on the search queries I'm about to make. Likewise anything information I didn't list that you think I would find useful like common issues, vendors,trusted sites, suggested preventative measuresx etc.

Wish me luck as I enter the twilight zone.
Godspeed everyone.

Hazwan
10-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Welcome! I wish the FAQ here is a little better with working pics and all but lurk around for a bunch of useful info about these cars.

I do know that these old Hondas usually have slow power windows. The mechanism and the rubber seals around the glass need greasing/lubricating as well as cleaning up the switch contacts.

Griff
10-17-2016, 08:58 PM
If reverse grinds try pushing in the clutch, going to second gear, and then reverse. All my old cars will grind reverse if I don't put the transmission into second before reverse.

Strangeduck
10-18-2016, 09:27 AM
my honda had a broken bracket that holds the clutch cable under the dash, it was hard to get in to gear, the clutch was adjusted up almost to tight to compensate the clutch would slip sometimes.

Samwise
10-23-2016, 09:28 AM
I had a loud blower fan in my first 3gee. Took it apart and found literally a rat's nest. Skeezed me the fuck out when I realized I'd been breathing rat shit for however long.

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Been there, done that. The mice love my heater the best.

Panduh
11-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Samwise I love your hatch, especially the "SOHC NOTEC" sticker and the wheels? What are those? Not much has been done to the car yet. I'm getting close to 230k now, yesterday did my changed my engine and trans oil. 3.5 qaurts in the motor, and 2.5 in the Trans all 10w30 oreillys brand oil. Since I bought the car 2-3k ago I put a quart in, I never notice oil where Ive been parked. I noticed I need a valve cover gasket and the oil pan looks -- eh. Back on the forum right now to search about those gaskets and replacement procedure, likewise see if I can find anything about doing the blower which I noticed doesn't blow until it hits "2" (wtf?) and uhmm lastly seeing about this cars towing capability. Thanks everyone for their input and insight so far on this thread + =]