PDA

View Full Version : grinds when i swithc to 2nd

89accordboi
01-30-2003, 01:15 PM
ite when i switch to 2nd gear it always grinds if its like over 4,000 rpms, in the morning it doesnt grind though. i really hate the sound of it like when i have a friend with m ycar and im racing someone it sounds lame... any suggestions? thx

SMITHACCORD*&
01-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Well if you have a 5 speed it could be that your clutch is not aligned correctly. And if it is an auto check your fluid levels. But automatic transmissions love to start going bad when you have a car that is that old. Take it to the local transmission place and have them look at her don't let it go on any longer. I had the same problem and had to get my tranny rebuilt

SMITHACCORD*&
01-30-2003, 01:33 PM
Try getting your tranny flushed and refilled first. If the fluid is black its burnt. If the fluid has metal in it your tranny is starting to come apart.

dXsquared
01-30-2003, 01:55 PM
if its low it might also gring and it could also be the syncro's

a rebuild might be in order... but a nice LUDE tranny can be found for less...

Travis

1988starter
01-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Try using one bottle of lucas MTL with your oil change it helped my syncros before I got the rebulid and I continue to use it today.

socal3rdgen
01-30-2003, 04:57 PM
notice how now one said "yeah why dont you check this and look at this and then take off this and replace this" :lol you said "take it to a shop" :lol

Coitis1
01-30-2003, 07:31 PM
i got a question. i have an automatic and sometimes when i shift gears in a short period of time, like when re-adjusting to get into a parking spot and i have to shift from drive to reverse to drive to park, or whatever, there will be a whining sound for a few seconds, or sometimes longer. any suggestions?

89accordboi
01-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by socal3rdgen
notice how now one said "yeah why dont you check this and look at this and then take off this and replace this" :lol you said "take it to a shop" :lol

:lol @ that.... socal3rdgen knows me well ;)

Blue Impact
01-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Mine does that too if I shift quickly regardless of the rpm. I can't see anything that could be doing that since I just got the clutch replaced back in June. The only solution I found to not grinding it would be to granny-shift (shifting slowly and gently) into second.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
01-31-2003, 02:11 PM
mine does it when i downshift into second....Cause sometime i have the stick to far left a little so it grids a lil bit.... is that normal????

89accordboi
01-31-2003, 03:12 PM
i hate granny shifting, especially when im racing lol :)

SMITHACCORD*&
01-31-2003, 03:58 PM
I will mess with naything on my car except that damn auto tranny. Soon to be replaced with a 5 speed with a short throw shifter.