PDA

View Full Version : What is the Offset ?

NeubJ
01-30-2003, 03:30 PM
I just need someone to explain the offset to me.

What is the offset of my 89 accord coupe?
I bought some wheels but never found out what the offset was and am trying to sell them now ( I never had any problems with them like the rubbing I was reading about) they have a total of eight lug holes- Is there a way I can tell what the offset is for both? (manufacturer website doenst list the wheels)

Also I want to know what the offset does and what happens if you go with different offsets than what are cars have?

anchovies
01-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Offset is measured from the center of the wheels (vertically facing the side of the wheels) to the mounting point (where the nuts go). Stock 3geez is 40mm, it's safe to go more than 40mm as the wheels go inner. If you go less than 40mm, then your wheels come out more and will rub the fender lip if you lower the car.
Check the inside of the wheel, sometimes the offset is stamped on it.

dXsquared
01-30-2003, 11:13 PM
and you are talkin about BOLT PATERN... you can measure from the center of a hole tto the closest one of the corisponding patern...

travis

Jims 86LXI HB
01-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by NeubJ
I just need someone to explain the offset to me.

What is the offset of my 89 accord coupe?
I bought some wheels but never found out what the offset was and am trying to sell them now ( I never had any problems with them like the rubbing I was reading about) they have a total of eight lug holes- Is there a way I can tell what the offset is for both? (manufacturer website doenst list the wheels)

Also I want to know what the offset does and what happens if you go with different offsets than what are cars have?

Stock factory offset is between 45mm and 50mm, but vast majority of aftermarket rims are 40mm. I have noticed that dual drilled rims allmost always are 40mm offset.

Concerning offsets for our cars. The universal MINIMUM offset for our cars is 40mm. If you go lower than 40mm you will either have to run the wrong tire size (one that is shorter) or you'll have to roll the rear fenders. 42mm, 43mm, 44mm, 45mm are all ok to run on a 3g and frankly sometimes you have to have the higher offsets to be able to run certain wider than 205mm widths.

The higher a offset number is, the closer the tire moves to the inside of the car and away from the fender lip. Go lower with offset numbers and the tire moves out away from the center of the car towards the fender lips.

dXsquared
01-31-2003, 10:19 AM
but if u go tooo far in... you will run the suspension? right? i know my wheels are damn close the the rear arm thing... it hasnt rubbed, but maybe it would on wider tires!?!

Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
01-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
but if u go tooo far in... you will run the suspension? right? i know my wheels are damn close the the rear arm thing... it hasnt rubbed, but maybe it would on wider tires!?!

Travis

Exactly, you cannot run a 225mm width on our cars without problems. And 215mm require higher offsets to be hassle free.

yes, go to wide or to tall and you will rub on the suspension. Another reason to not go wild with tire sizes. 215/35-18 and 45mm will fit without rubbing the suspension.

StUpiD8000
02-01-2003, 09:55 PM
we can fit 18's without rubbing the suspension? and we get, say a 45mm offset opos to a 55mm what off-set will make a car have that stupid bow-legged look?

Jims 86LXI HB
02-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

215/35-18 and 45mm will fit without rubbing the suspension.

And rolling the rear fenders should NOT be needed.