PDA

View Full Version : 1985 SEi

MTTRACE
01-30-2003, 08:07 PM
I have an 1985 ACCORD SEi with 323000 miles on it. It still run's great but smokes like a freaken freight train when I first start it up(it quites as soon as I drive approx. 1 block). I have been told that it could be the rings and/or the valve guides. I was hoping to get suggestions on what I could do about my motor situation. I will not get rid of it as it has been the best( and oldest) out of the 4 Honda's I have owned. Are they any options for engine swaps, or should I just rebuild the Motor and shut the heck up?

YK86
01-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the board! You have one rare car. Any pics? Anyways, your motor sounds like it's leaking by the valve stem seals (leaks while it's parked). You can actually replace these with the motor in the car but you need a special tool to push down on the retainer while keeping the valve from falling into the cylinder. If you want to put a different motor in, you will probably have a very hard time finding a good used direct fit EFI motor , a rebuild or an upgrade to a 86+ EFI motor might be a good idea. Ask Phydeaux on info on his 3rd gen motor swap (in his 2nd gen Accord).

carotman
01-31-2003, 04:07 AM
Yasu it right, it looks like the valve seals are gone, not too hads to replace, it's like a 100 bucks job.

PhydeauX
02-01-2003, 01:24 PM
You shoudl be able to turn up all the info on the a20a swap with the search function, my head hurts too much to retype it. Basucally the motor just bolts in . You have to change a few mounting brackets over from the 2nd gen engine to the 3rd gen one, mount the 2nd gen tranny and then it drops right in. Wireing is a whole nother story. I've never worked on an ef-i accord. I know they are similar, but I don't know how similar. You're going to have to get your hands on some schmatics, not the hayne's or chilton's they both suck for schmatics, and do alot of reading. You could problaby wire the a20a3 with the es3 harness you have now, but I don't know how well the computer is going to like running that engine. Its alot of research, but I'm not saying not to try it.

andy

Coroncho80
02-02-2003, 12:38 PM
85 SEI?? first time I heard of it. Weird.............

87accordHB
02-02-2003, 12:54 PM
aye me to..time for pics!!!!!!

MTTRACE
02-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info Andy, I will get off my lazy but and get some pic's posted. I will let you guy's know when I get them up.

PhydeauX
02-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda always ended the accord generatinon with an SE(-i). There were SE(-i) accords at the end of each generation (81 SE, 85 SE-i, 89 SE-i, etc) and in the middle of the second (83 SE) before they changed the styling and motor in 84. Makes me wonder why my accord isnt a 3rd gen and yours 4th. They all got leather and power windows and nice things like that.

andy

AvgWhtMale
02-03-2003, 06:27 PM
I've seen a couple of these and I like them. Usually the leather is all worn out, though -- Honda must use cheap leather. The '85 SEi (1.8L, I think) had decent power numbers, more than the non-efi 3G's. I say, find a B20A, make it fit, then VTEC it! Tell me that would not be the ultimate sleeper.

Well, go ahead, tell me.

-Monkey