PDA

View Full Version : Help! 86 accord

munoz93
10-23-2016, 01:45 PM
I have an 86 Accord dx hatchback and my problem is I have no transmission for it. Here's my dilemma, I found a 89 Accord lxi sedan is it possible to switch out the Transmission out of the lxi into my dx. I don't care for sedans and I love my dx to much to buy another. Another question is will the lxi engine as a whole bolt right in to my dx since the lxi's engine is a dohc and lower miles. Both are manual.

Strangeduck
10-24-2016, 10:38 AM
I have an 86 Accord dx hatchback and my problem is I have no transmission for it. Here's my dilemma, I found a 89 Accord lxi sedan is it possible to switch out the Transmission out of the lxi into my dx. I don't care for sedans and I love my dx to much to buy another. Another question is will the lxi engine as a whole bolt right in to my dx since the lxi's engine is a dohc and lower miles. Both are manual.

i just swapped a 89 with an 87, both were lxi's though. I had to swap intakes and the exhaust manifold is different and were the thermostat is has a couple vacuum lines that arent used. I would check all those before beginning. Take pics with your phone and compare the two. As far as DX to LXI im not sure all the differences.

InAccordance
10-24-2016, 05:16 PM
DX is carb no?

Dr_Snooz
10-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Lots of differences between carb and FI. LOL. Like major, major differences. It's a huge amount of work. The long blocks are identical, but everything else is different.

munoz93
10-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Yes my DX is carb, but I'm guessing switching the transmissions shouldn't have any problems right? I mean only changes would be body style since my DX is hatch and the lxi is Sedan right? If it's causes to much problems I'll probably just swap out the whole engine and Trans. That would work better I suppose. Thanks for the quick replies guys!!

Dr_Snooz
10-28-2016, 07:54 AM
Trans is plug and play, assuming you aren't trying to put a MT into an AT car or vice versa.