PDA

View Full Version : Idleing too high..

Stefi-blueLX
01-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Ok. When I go to start the car up, it's at 2000rpm exactly. After about a minute it will idle, eventually it will reach 3000+rpms within a 2 minute wait, then I'll give her a little gas and it idles down to about 1300. But than I have to wait another 1-2 minutes to give her a little more gas to let idle normally, (b/t 800-950). So I basically finally leave after letting her warm up for 5 minutes. It never used to be this way in the past, even in the winter time, (I live in Louisiana, it's pretty hot !). It used to only take about 2 minutes to warm up.

Anyway someone please help! It's driving me insane and it's embarrassing. :(

My main problem is: What is making it idle so high?

88LXI
01-30-2003, 09:33 PM
:stick: i was workin on my neighbors 3gee a little while back and i fixed that problem by just cleaning the carb really good with some carb spray... i took the whole air cleaner assembly off then i just made sure to get all the gunk and dirt off all the linkage and make sure you spray inside the carb too.. get the choke butterfly shaft really good, work it around in there a little..... when you go to start the car afterwards (it wont want to) just floor the gas pedal till it starts as it will be flooded from the carb spray...

happy carb cleanin!!!! :rolleyes:

A20A1
01-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Cleaning the carb is always a good thing
anyways
Check the radiator water/coolant level too.
- - -
If it's not the coolant then maybe the choke is going bad or there is a vacuum leak.
also
If you can, raise the air box partially to get a clean shot at the linkages with the carb cleaner.

There is a how-to at the top of the carb tech forum that can help you with removing the air box if you decide to do it, but you only need to lift it off the carb slightly, which keeps you from having to deal with the vacuum line mess.

Stefi-blueLX
02-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys! Cleaned it and it's pretty much back to normal! Thanks again!