PDA

View Full Version : Quesion on JL W7 Subs

RobT5580
01-31-2003, 07:23 AM
I was possibleythinking of swithching out my 12's for two 10W7's but i want it to put out atleast what my infinity perfects do. I had the opportuniny to buy the 12W7s but i thought it would be way way to much for what i wanted. The main reason is im trying to free up some space to put my 17" spare tire in and 10's would probably do it but i want the same sound or better and dont know if the 10's will do it for me.

Let me know if you heard these and what kind of car were they in?

joshuabrack99
01-31-2003, 09:59 AM
you'll need almost twice the power to supply those subs if you do decide to switch- if your worried about room for your spare- have a shop or yourself build a box somewhat around it-like half a diamond shape or you could even look into free air subs-alot less boomy though

RobT5580
01-31-2003, 11:35 AM
I thought of that but i still dont think it will be enough. The infinity's only require 1 cu.ft so thats good but i have a rear strut bar so i can only go so far back. I do realize that the subs require a lot of power which was one of the reasons why i didnt get them the first time but 10's might be enough to clear everything if i make a short but deep box and mount it so the wheel will be in the factory position. I can get certain brand stereo stuff at cost but it takes a while to get cause the guy is about an hour away from me.

AccordEpicenter
01-31-2003, 09:55 PM
All you mentioned were great subs, but it sounds like with what you want, that the perfects are still your best bet. The perfects are louder and have nearly as good a SQ as either of the JLs, Id just keep the 12s

RobT5580
02-01-2003, 07:25 AM
One thing that i forgot about is my box was for more than 1 Cu.ft and that is what the infinity's are rated at. So in the spring time im gonna redo the box and see what i can do for space and making smaller boxes. The JLW7 is more of a competition sub but i figure the 10's will be pretty nice but i have never heard them in a car so i will see how the infinitys do when i change the trunk around this spring. Thanks

87DXHatch
02-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Want a sub that's nearly equal with the W7 and requires MUCH less space?

Check out the Adire Audio Brahma. They come in 10", 12", and 15" sizes. The 12" only needs ~1 cubic foot for a QTC of .707!! And I guarentee it will be at least 2X as loud as your current infinity and sound 2X as good (clean).

http://www.adireaudio.com

markmdz89hatch
02-03-2003, 02:18 PM
actually Rob, I have'nt looked at a spec sheet on the W7's yet, but if I'm not mistaken they require a dump load of airspace. Another thing, have you seen the sub? Take a look at just how big that 10W7 really is. The whole sub is deeper then it is in diameter. The entire W7 line is a huge sub, but it's potential is basically limitless. Also, Joshua is right, they are power hungry, so that'll require a bigger amp not only in wattage, but most likely also in size.

I'd say just stick with what you've got, or if you really want a W7 setup, just go with one. That one 10W7 will be damn near equal to that pair of 12's you have now.

(...hmm... Can anyone tell I'm a JL fan?)

n88accordLX-i
02-03-2003, 06:20 PM
W7's are alright, i wasnt very impressed when i heard them at the local shop, of course they sound nice, but not worth 1,000$ in my book, you can find just as good and even better for cheaper :stick:

RobT5580
02-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah i have seen how deep they were but the 10's would probably give me enough clearance to pull the 17" spare out from under. Im gonna try to rework everything this spring cause the infinity's only require 1 cu.ft so i may be able to move them aside and im gonna try to mount the amps to the trunk lid but that will be a bit of work cause i will have to strengthen the lid a bit for the weight mainly cause its flimsy from side to side. But that would help out my space issue and look really good. Thanks guys just though i would check cause i can get the W7 cheap and im a sucker for nice deep bass.

markmdz89hatch
02-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by RobT5580
Yeah i have seen how deep they were but the 10's would probably give me enough clearance to pull the 17" spare out from under. Im gonna try to rework everything this spring cause the infinity's only require 1 cu.ft so i may be able to move them aside and im gonna try to mount the amps to the trunk lid but that will be a bit of work cause i will have to strengthen the lid a bit for the weight mainly cause its flimsy from side to side. But that would help out my space issue and look really good. Thanks guys just though i would check cause i can get the W7 cheap and im a sucker for nice deep bass.

How cheap is cheap? :D I think I just might have to get back into the audio world with a nice healthy *thump*

RobT5580
02-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Check your PM. The only big drawback i can say about it is all the weight added to your car. I used to want to keep it light but im covering all aspects kinda equal for a fast/show car. I may make it so i can pull the box when heading to the track to help out a little cause my trunk is loaded and thats w/o the 17" rim i want to put in their.

TwtrLX
02-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Check out Eclipse Aluminums for 10's...require only .75 cu ft per sub, handle 500w continuous per sub...i have 2 12" with 2 JL 500/1 in a sealed box and they SLAM

mykwikcoupe
02-09-2003, 05:32 AM
Ive got 2 13.5s in my tbird in a 3 ft3 box. As far as power hungry thats a major understatement. The jl rep told me that before I buy 2 run 1 at 2000 watts rms and see if I want more. I currently have them running on a 1000/1 each and by ear (not the spl tester at the shop) 1 sounds better with 2000 watts then 2 with 2000 watts. Now for the real question. I saw the new for 2003 zapco 4kw. This is 2 c2k-9.0 wiried together to give you 4000 watts rms at 2 ohms. I cant find it and If I still cant find it then I have to go with the harrison labs ae6400.1. Any help from the long time audiophiles

RobT5580
02-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all the imput i will wait till spring and see what i can do to lighten the load with the proper size 1 cu.ft box per sub as of the larger box i have now. My friend gave me a 10" kicker comp and a Kenwood amp and i put that in my winter accord and to my surprise the 10 wasnt so bad in a trunk. I would imagine one 10W7 would be nice deep bass so that may be what i do if i can fit the 12's properly with the spare.