PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to Replace Drive Axles....

g.frost
11-15-2016, 05:13 PM
The time has finally come that my 88 DX , 170K miles needs both axles replaced. I am going to order from Rockauto:

- Is there any good reason I should spend the extra $40 for a pair of the Cardone Select over the 'APWI' branded?

I was going over the manual and several posts here on the subject to prep for it when I came on this post and wondered if anyone else has done it this way:::::

http://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/82809-unable-separate-lower-arm-lower-ball-joint.html#post1120064

The exact text here:
""""
do not take the lower control arm off just knock off the the upper from the knuckle and take the two ten mm bolts out for the brake line plus knock off the other tie rod end and the lower strut mount... simple just a decent hammer a 17mm a 32mm 14mm and 10mm socket...
"""

As I have taken both of those (tie rod and upper) knuckles off before, I would just a soon not disturb the lower ball joint. Sounds like it might be easier than by the manual....

Has anyone else tried this?

It's been a while since I posted here, and my old "Jimmy" has been running well. He got rear ended a few months ago and he's "totaled" but still driving. I bent back the trunk and bumper, kept the $1800 check...
Ha, My cream puff beater is also a cash machine!!!

pos88lx
11-18-2016, 06:56 AM
I am currently replacing mine on my 88LXI, I AM not removing the lower ball joint but when i popped the tranny end of the drive shaft out it started pouring fluid out, am i supposed to drain tranny first? I've done drive shafts before on other vehicles and this was not the case, do i have a prob with my transmission? Manual 5 speed btw

g.frost
11-18-2016, 08:18 AM
Yeah, normal, you will loose some fluid by not draining it. Just top it off when you are done. Thanks for the reply, let us know how it goes. ...I'm hoping my lower fork bolt comes out easy....

pos88lx
11-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Well i got the new drive axles in, and new control arms/upper ball joints. Divers side went smooth enough but got hung up on the strut to lower arm on pass side. Quite a task, hopefully worth it. Does the manual trans have a dip stick? I know i sounds like one asking but i lost someoil and i wanted to check fluid level and i can't figure out how or where to put it in

Dr_Snooz
11-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Remove the fill plug. If no oil runs out, fill it till it does.

g.frost
12-08-2016, 04:28 PM
I finally got around to putting the drivers side axle on a couple days ago. (passenger side is not making any noise yet so it will wait) Went fairly smooth. Axle nut was tough: multiple liquid wrench, blow torch, standing on breaker bar and hammer. It finally gave in. I did it by the book and popped the lower knuckle using the method described in the thread above: Jack up the lower arm, then wedged a chisel in there and it popped. I didn't drain the fluid, lost about a quart. Because I was not prepared, it was filthy with grease and dirt, cleaning, etc.. I spent almost 4.5 hours on it. Ha, first hour to break loose the axle nut! ....be sure the new axle has a dust seal on the wheel bearing end. Drivers side did not come with one, I used the old one.