PDA

View Full Version : how to get antifreeze in block when engine won't start?

rebuild
12-03-2016, 07:36 PM
I usually run more water than coolant. My 89 LX-i won't start and I do not want to give up on it. I drained the radiator and filled with a good antifreeze mixture - mostly AF, but how can I circulate it with what's in the block? When you drain the block, does it drain from the thermostat on through all of the block (or just to the height of the drain bolt)? There's no way for me to put antifreeze in the block is there?

2ndGenGuy
12-12-2016, 10:24 AM
There is a drain bolt on the block that you can use to drain it. You don't want "mostly antifreeze" either, you want a 50/50 mixture. If you don't have enough water in it, it will not be as effective.

To fill the block back up, just fill from the radiator. As long as your bleeder is cracked, the coolant should fill the block from the lower radiator hose, and the air will escape out the top.

88Sleeper
12-12-2016, 12:41 PM
There is a drain bolt on the block that you can use to drain it. You don't want "mostly antifreeze" either, you want a 50/50 mixture. If you don't have enough water in it, it will not be as effective.

To fill the block back up, just fill from the radiator. As long as your bleeder is cracked, the coolant should fill the block from the lower radiator hose, and the air will escape out the top.

This is what I do. I played with different mixtures in the past. Not worth it. If it doesn't leak or eat coolant you should never have to worry about it besides checking it every month to make sure it's not disappearing.

I used the honda blue pre-mix when I did my water pump last time. The green shit ate at the aluminum housing on the old one, rusted the pump blades, and seized the pump itself. Yes, I know that's not normal but my dad bought a dirt cheap aftermarket pump that wasn't aisin. Go figure. It lasted 10 yrs though, so I "got what I paid for"

2ndGenGuy
12-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Do you use distilled water with your 50/50 mix? As long as I have been doing that, and flushing regularly I haven't had any rust issues. Tap water is full of metals and minerals that cause corrosion.

Can't go wrong with Honda 50/50 pre-mix though!