PDA

View Full Version : My new interior

PhydeauX
02-02-2003, 02:01 PM
I got tired of the nasty old interior so I drove down to Sean's place this weekend and we freshened it up a little. We were going for that industrial oil refinery interior look ;).

http://phy.37industries.com:3000/accordpics/cage/cage1.jpg

http://phy.37industries.com:3000/accordpics/cage/cage2.jpg

http://phy.37industries.com:3000/accordpics/cage/cage3.jpg

Actually we were trying to take the flex out of the chassis. Honda never intended for a 2nd gen accord to be fitted with 450lb/in spring in the front 350lb/in springs in the back. The chassis had more give then the springs did. We were shooting for some where around a 300% incrase in stiffness. We didn't bother to measure flex before, and the only thing we did to measure the flex after was take it down some very bumpy roads. It feels like we well exceded the 300% goal, the car is rock solid. Bumpy roads where the car would have been more then a hand full to control in its former state were nothing now. It took them like a rally car. Unfortunately the flex in the body was the reason I was able to get away with running such stiff springs on stock shocks, so there is more to do now, (Hey jim if your reading this do you think koni reds would handle the springs or would I need to revalve first?). Many thanks to Sean who did the design and welding, and to his friend Scott who did alot of the cutting and fitting.

andy

1989 DX R
02-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Cool :)

Mike's89AccordLX
02-02-2003, 02:10 PM
I want a roll cage. That's sweet :)

iloveJDMblackrims69
02-02-2003, 02:54 PM
is that for looks and to show off to people that u have a roll cage or is that for the performance in case you roll over somehwre??

1989 DX R
02-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Performance...stiffens the chassis.

iloveJDMblackrims69
02-02-2003, 03:11 PM
o, ok then thats really coo

bobafett
02-02-2003, 03:30 PM
yeah jim will tell you to revalve them. he told me to get revalved konis for stock ground controls! with are 350/250!!!! so i am sure you need something better as well!

88LXiHB
02-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by iloveJDMblackrims69
is that for looks and to show off to people that u have a roll cage or is that for the performance in case you roll over somehwre??

Did you just not bother reading the thread??

Sean
02-02-2003, 08:50 PM
im happy with it. the only real bitch was the welders where giving us massive trouble. so i had to resort to the big Stick machine i have which was a MF to weld with becuase its so hot. other then the welds not being s pretty as i like it came out pretty good. the rigidity imporvement itslef was worth the 30hr of loabor it took to construct the monster.

however S&W happens to sell a rollcage kit for the 88-92 accords im not sure if its hacth sedan or 4dr. but it available. it would help reduce the labor. do you have any idea how longit take to bend and fabricate that much tubing? i know the S&W kits starts $149 for a mild steel 9 pt cage so give them a ring.

i think it worked pretty good the cars handling is super predictable and the rear x bar really sort of negates the need for a strut tower bar. the ass end is now super stiff. i think it could have been stiffer but the placement of the front frame rails wouldnt allow us to connect them in a practical manner. at some point andy and I will have to fab up some subframe connectors and see how much stiffer the car can get., all in all its much stiffer then i expected it to be. and the hanlding is so sweet the ass ends kicks out at will.

peace out nd enjoy.when you putting on those sway bars man ?

PhydeauX
02-02-2003, 09:54 PM
I gotta get some time with a lift to put them in. I'll probalby patch up the frame while I'm at it. I was watching the monte carlo ralley and taking a good look at the cages they were runing. They had the front bars coming down to the rocker pannels like we did, then they ran a bar from the frame to the front part to for a trangle. I still have 2 connections that I can use. I would like to put them to the firewall to catch inner fender. Who knows what I'll do. I was thinking maybe cutting the bottom part of the dash out to get them in there but who knows.

andy

Sean
02-02-2003, 11:39 PM
i cant say thats a bad idea just how to attach it without the interfernce with the clutch was my issue. at some point in the spring youll have make a trip out to detriot to see whats going on. maybe bring the car and see how to improve whats already there. i got a look at some of those ralley cages myself and i had never really looked at one. the design we came up with works well but looking at those ralley cages i see some place we could improve it. but that will take some time to find the rest of the chassis weak points and still be withink the rules for your class. all in all it came out good. i still think ataching to the windshiled pillars would work well and kep clearance there. the wndisheilf is a big chassis structurale meber and tyieng it to the cage would most likely help it out. ill have to ask around and se what a few other fabricators i know think. getting some of the crash test data would hlp as well to determine the wekaest structural segements. see what you can find

Site
02-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Andy, what kind of motorsport are you building your car for? Are you planning on rallying your 3G?

PhydeauX
02-03-2003, 11:46 AM
I'd love to rally it, but I can't afford to fix it if I do something like tear the wheels off or wrap it around a tree. Its going to see solo II duty in one of the street mod classes, need to get my hands on a rule book to see exactly how it will class. I know I'm allowed a 6pt cage, which you see here, and I'm allowed to add 2 extra contact points which haven't been decided yet. I might look into rally cross, but I don't think they do that anywhere near me, plus I don't have enough suspension travel for off roading with the current setup.

andy

Site
02-03-2003, 11:54 AM
"need to get my hands on a rule book to see exactly how it will class"
-I think you would be Street Mod 2 since your car is a 2 door, unless there is an exception for hatchbacks.

PhydeauX
02-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Its a 2 door, but a 4 seater. It should be sm 1, 2 gets the miatas and crxs. I believe they break down 1 and 2 a bit further, but I am in no way familar with the rules yet. It really doesn't make that much diference to me. What ever class that car goes in I'm sure my lack of driving expierence will keep me from being competive for a while.

andy

GreenMachine
02-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Damn no pics, I want to see !

Sean
02-03-2003, 08:25 PM
the pic are there wait for them to load.

PhydeauX
02-03-2003, 09:18 PM
My server only allows 5 connections at any one time, is a p1 133 gotta give it some slack. Its serving my sig and any images I post so if more then 5 people click on a thread with something of mine in it at one time the rest are going to get the lovely red x.

andy

GreenMachine
02-06-2003, 04:00 AM
now i see :)