PDA

View Full Version : air control valve

lx 1986
12-09-2016, 11:34 AM
I have a question about the air control valve that's on the top of the air cleaner snorkel. I don't have a handheld vacuum pump so I tested the valve by attaching a hose on the valve and sucking on it to see if it holds any vacuum. Well it doesn't. The valve never moved I could suck air through it endlessly. Has anyone tried to fix one of these valves or have one they want to sell? I've been trying to find one but no luck so far.

I have a 86 Honda Accord LX, 4dr, 2bbl carb, auto trans with ac.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p413/browsers2010shoppers/20161207_101840%20-%20Copy_zps3gyfc5hd.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/browsers2010shoppers/media/20161207_101840%20-%20Copy_zps3gyfc5hd.jpg.html)

g.frost
12-10-2016, 10:23 AM
It draws warm air from around the exhaust manifold when the engine(air) is cold. As you live in a relatively warm CA climate, you could just disconnect and plug that vacuum line. Years ago I was able to order one from Majestic Honda.

lx 1986
12-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Thanks g.frost for your response.

I have looked at majestic and other sites and the part is always discontinued. I have been searching the salvage yards to see if they have an air cleaner with one attached. No luck so far. No one has a pic of the air cleaner their selling online and give only a vague description. I have to email to ask for a pic and other specifics.

I've been having a hanging idle problem. I read in the manual that the valve is supposed to regulate the motor temp by opening and closing the door inside the snokel and keeping it at a even 100 degrees. I checked it and it didn't hold vacuum. I did notice that when I disconnected the air temp sensor on the side of the snorkel the idle drops back to normal. I'm thinking since the sensor sends the message to the cpu it's not receiving the right temp reading because the valve never opens the door to allow the hot air from the exhaust manifold in.

I did have the sensor disconnected for awhile but I have a smog test coming next year and am worried about that.

g.frost
12-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Interesting, I was not aware the air temp would affect the high idle: The high idle vacuum system is controlled by thermovalve A, coolant temp on my '88 (vac lines 18 and 19 to high idle unloader). Mine is sluggish in winter and takes a good warmup before it drops from 1200 to 750rpm. The air control valve is controlled by a bi-metalic thermostat in the air cleaner. Now that it is winter you could try 'hard wiring' that door open for the warm air and see how it behaves. I understand your wanting to get that part working right. I'll look around for my old one, see if I kept it. If I recall, it is a 'sealed' unit and can't be taken apart without destroying it.

88Sleeper
12-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Thanks g.frost for your response.

I have looked at majestic and other sites and the part is always discontinued. I have been searching the salvage yards to see if they have an air cleaner with one attached. No luck so far. No one has a pic of the air cleaner their selling online and give only a vague description. I have to email to ask for a pic and other specifics.

I've been having a hanging idle problem. I read in the manual that the valve is supposed to regulate the motor temp by opening and closing the door inside the snokel and keeping it at a even 100 degrees. I checked it and it didn't hold vacuum. I did notice that when I disconnected the air temp sensor on the side of the snorkel the idle drops back to normal. I'm thinking since the sensor sends the message to the cpu it's not receiving the right temp reading because the valve never opens the door to allow the hot air from the exhaust manifold in.

I did have the sensor disconnected for awhile but I have a smog test coming next year and am worried about that.

Plug it in and take the test. I tried to test mine manually but it was futile since it takes a LOT of vacuum to move that POS. If you want a new one I can send you mine. I have been using a Weber for the last 2 years and still passing ID smog check with values good enough to pass CA smog if they don't push the gas too hard =)

(P.S. -> IIRC I'd fail visual since aftermarket carb's are a no-no to CA, right? )

lx 1986
12-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Thanks g.frost and 88 Sleeper for responding.

g.frost I did stick a clothes pin under the door to see what would happen and the fast idle went up to 3k and wouldn't come down. Once the pin was removed I could get the fast idle to drop down. So much for the experiment. You're right about the valve being sealed. Did you by any chance find your valve?

88 Sleeper if you want to give me the new valve I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands if you no longer need it. Let me know what you want to do. I'll be looking for your response.

PS: You're right about CA no aftermarket carbs it's considered automatic fail. I really wish I could use a Weber. I just had another remanufactured one installed last year.