PDA

View Full Version : Camber Specs!

Chris86Lxi
02-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Alright guys, i need to know a few things. I have eibach sportlines on my ride and i also am putting and INGALLS CAMBER KIT on tomorrow as in monday. My buddy is a auto tech major here at school and was tellin me that i need to know the specs on my caster, camber, and tow in order for NTB to be able to allign my car. Question is, NTB has a new allignment machine that does lowered cars but should i know the specs to tell them what the car should be sitting at??? I figured they would know but since all my suspension is altered then they would need to know the specs of the caster, camber, tow.?? Jim, any help would be nice.

Thanks alot,
Chris

dXsquared
02-02-2003, 03:51 PM
its in the back of the chilton manual... i dont have mine with me... its at skool... but i belive the camber is 0 degrees

Travis

Chris86Lxi
02-02-2003, 04:50 PM
I need to know what the angles or degree's that the camber kit should be set at so that my wheels are straights up and down. It will be up on a jack when they set them but when you lower it back down the weight of the car will make them tilt back in if you set it wrong. Should it be set at +1 degree or what? I'm confused. my buddy told me that if the degree's are set wrong then it will cause scrub pretty bad. Any help please... JIM?

Chris

Jims 86LXI HB
02-02-2003, 09:29 PM
I do not have the specs your asking for handy, but frankly the goal should be for the shop to dial your car in as close to factory specs as they can, in spite of the drop. They will be a able to look up those specs

:huh: sportlines are only a 1.4" drop, I don't understand why your even thinking about adjusting the camber. As a general rule, all hondas and acura's should not need camber correction up to 1.5" drops. When I would eyeball my car with it's 1.5" drop, you could see it was negitive about 1 degree, not even worth $50 for the alignment let alone $$ for the camber kit. Now if your lookin at your wheels and they look way off, their might be a problem that has nothing to do with the drop.

P.S. if your really wanting the specs bad, take a look at the factory service manuel in the FAQ section on the board. I'd think it would be their.

AZmike
02-02-2003, 10:45 PM
My Honda service manual doesn't give instructions on how to align the car when not supported by the wheels. It assumes that you have access to real equipment that allows for a regular alignment with the car on it's wheels.

If you're really concerned, install the parts with a decent eyeballed alignment and drive staight to a shop that you've already called and have them set everything straight for you for $50.

nvrenf
02-03-2003, 08:18 PM
the best settings for a car with a drop or any proformance driving is 0 to 3+ no more for best tire wear i suggest 1 dagree positive. but i am a little rusty its been awhile since i've worked on a car with out adjstable suspention:)

AZmike
02-03-2003, 08:26 PM
If tire wear is less of a concern you're likely to get slightly better corning grip with 1-2 degrees NEGATIVE camber (wheels tip inward).

Chrome_thangs
02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
I just got my front align today and they said the closest they can get it is -1 on the left and -.75 on the right. Does this sound right? With this much negative camber will it wear out the insides of my tires quick?

AZmike
02-03-2003, 11:46 PM
That's within Honda specification, but just barely. Front camber should be 0 +/-1 but that is with 60 series tires. With your low profile tires it might end up causing significantly faster wear on the inside shoulders of your tires. Unless most of your driving is hard corning you may want to consider modifying the prelude control arms you have (or getting a second set to play with) to allow for a little more adjustability to set it to zero.

DBMaster
02-04-2003, 11:39 AM
The cambers you want are as close to possible to ZERO. I had only 1.4 degrees of negative camber on my front right (which I correct it with a camber kit from Ingall's) that constantly wore the inside edge off my tire. I am getting the zero number from the computer generated report that NTB gave ne when they did the alignment. Ever since I fixed the camber issue and got the alignment all of my tires are wearing nice and evenly!