PDA

View Full Version : charcoal canister

Mantis88LX
02-02-2003, 06:31 PM
when u guys removed all of your vaccum lines did u just remove this? do i need it? will teh car run without it? i have no idea what it is.

2old_honda
02-03-2003, 12:44 AM
leave it alone, your gas tank is vented through it.

shepherd79
02-03-2003, 05:23 AM
i took it out, and i have no problems.
Mantis, why don't you putt every question you have into one thread. it is stupid to look at every thread you made and answer one question.
i am going to take some pictures of my engine bay, so you can see what you need to remove.

Mantis88LX
02-03-2003, 07:15 AM
well i have already removed the lines running to it so i guess im gonna go ahead and remove it,

DBMaster
02-03-2003, 08:36 AM
If you live in an area that does emission testing you will not pass without it. It captures vapors that evaporate from your gas tank. There is no performance loss caused by it so there should be no reason to remove it.

Mantis88LX
02-11-2003, 02:47 PM
OK i remooved it but what do i do with the red line coming from the carb that looks like a fuel line? do i just point it down, or do i remove it and plug it.
Im kinda worried about the gas fumes coming out underneath my hood.

A20A1
02-11-2003, 02:49 PM
plug it on the carb side... and plug the line on the firewall

Mantis88LX
02-11-2003, 02:51 PM
were does the line on the firewall lead to??

A20A1
02-11-2003, 03:00 PM
the gas tank...

Mantis88LX
02-11-2003, 03:10 PM
wait but wont i get vapore lock if the gas tank and carb isnt vented of the fumes??

Mantis88LX
02-11-2003, 03:28 PM
ohh,

kool thanx man

cody509
09-19-2005, 01:59 AM
so you can just remove the whole thing and plug everything that used to be connected to it?

A20A1
09-19-2005, 02:13 AM
As long as you vent the tank from time to time.
The carb doesn't need the extra ventalation.
The fuel tank does.

You'll only notice problems if your exhaust heat shied is missing from under the fuel tank or the heat shield is in direct contact with the fuel tank. Also try not to install aftermarket exhaust too close to the tank. Any extra heat will just promote more vapors to build.

Why are you removing it? It's good to have if you still have the stock equiptment, it is supposed to vent the fuel vapors when you start the car.

cody509
09-19-2005, 10:15 AM
what good does venting the fuel vapor do when starting your car?

and couldnt you just lead the vacuum line from the tank to someother place to vent to the atmosphere? like under the body away from the exhast

smufguy
09-19-2005, 10:41 AM
The reason we have charcoal canisters is that it holds the unburnt fuel fumes after the car is shut down so that it can aide in start up. same as venting the fuel tank as mentioned. But there is a reason why they call them Vaccum lines, they cannot be vented to the atmosphere. The reason we dont any unburnt fumes into the air is because they are pollutants and they are raw hydrocarbons and legally one cannot do that. Thats why manufacturers have these methods of abiding by the laws.

DBMaster
09-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Dudes, my 72 Pontiac had a charcoal canister. There is no performance gain to be had by removing it and all you end up doing is adding unnecessary pollution to the atmosphere and possibly screwing up your fuel delivery system.

Why was it that you thought you wanted it off?

cody509
09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
i think its more or less just getting rid of stuff you don't "need" , as well as getting weight reduction and engine space at the same time, even as miniscual as it is

DBMaster
09-20-2005, 01:51 PM
I am not what you would call a tree-hugger, but living in an area that has ever increasing smog problems I don't condone removal of emission control devices, especially those that do not harm performance or gas mileage. The thing probably weighs about three pounds - gimme a break!

I guess it's a question of social responsibility. I am not lilly white, so all I can do is be good moving forward. It's amazing how having kids can change your perspective. I even get a little irritated with people who buy massive SUV's that will never leave the road.

lackej1971
10-01-2005, 11:19 PM
My car actually started running really good. I just removed it today and I am sure that it had never been changed before, so it is probably no good any more. I went outside a little while ago and saw a small puddle of what looked like mostly water, but it did have an oil base to it also. I am a little concerned if this is caused from leaving the canister off.

I am thinking of just cutting the canister open and emptying the old charcoal out and then just buying some plain (not match light) charcoal at the store and crushing it up and "recharging" it. I looked this thing up online and it was over $100.00. I am NOT paying THAT for it. I'll just change the charcoal and duct tape it back together. Will that work?

Thanks, Lackej1971 :rice:

DBMaster
10-04-2005, 12:18 PM
I think it is probably some kind of "Activated Carbon" like in water filters. Maybe opening up a big water filter cartridge would get you what you need, but I do not think that it wears out. The older ones used to have filters in the bottom that you could change out that just kept out dust. Does this one have that? I have never had mine out.

thabeana
11-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Just a thought...but if you leave the vacuum line from the gas tank open to "vent" isn't there a possiblity of moisture entering your tank? Just like it can let vapor out...it can likely let some unwanted substances into your tank as well.

A20A1
11-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Water, ,maybe. Though I think some tanks have a one way bleed.
I stalled out my car by hooking the line directly to the intake... too much gas fumes so it flooded. I was trying to minimize the fumes just loosely entering the atmosphere. Maybe add a second small filter on a "T" fitting between the firewall and the intake, that way it doesn't create as much suction. Or add a vacuum restrictor to the line on the firewall and then hook it to the intake.