PDA

View Full Version : turbo 20

nvrenf
02-02-2003, 06:39 PM
as soon as i finish my paint job (early march) i am putting a t3 eclips turbo on my a20a 89lxi motor cam has been ordered and a vortex feul pump voltagebooster is on its way all i really need is to fab up a manafiold

smufguy
02-02-2003, 10:05 PM
nice...... what is the max psi on the turbo?

88turboaccord
02-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Never Knew an eclipse came with a t-3 turbocharger.

nvrenf
02-03-2003, 09:47 AM
its from my friends wrecked gsx he had it to 14psi

bobafett
02-03-2003, 12:05 PM
hmm, because the eclipse came with a t-25 and a 14b... :)

unless it was an aftermarket turbo... but the t3 is a stockish turbo. so i dont know why u would "upgrade" to it... maybe a t3/t4.....i think thats what justin has, right?

btw there is a little more to it than a new manifold. especially if you want to run 14psi!

lol, but please take a video of your first track run with that setup, because it doesnt sound like your car is gonna last, if you just throw a manifold on there... :P

nvrenf
02-03-2003, 03:58 PM
a good friend of mine works at turbotronics and has set up a modified feul managment system they us on buickgrand nationals.
(FYI ive raced GN s 4 the better part of a dacade. And have driven my accord,as a daily drive and decided it was time to pimp it out)
Any way ive oringed the head ported and poliched it at the last rebuild about 1200 miles ago now im in the process of shaving and suiciding almost every thing.
and i just finised the air rod setup.

dXsquared
02-03-2003, 04:45 PM
what about 8.5 : 1 pistons?

Travis

nvrenf
02-03-2003, 04:55 PM
actually with the oringed head gasket and 18cc diched pistons and the reworked combustion camber my total comp. ratio is 8.21to 1 more than sufficient for the rather modest bost level of 6 to 9 lbs im shooting for iI dont intend to be ricky racer just get up hills a little easier and maybe suprise a few civics.

Sean
02-03-2003, 08:04 PM
hmm well if you want some GM boost control drop me a line DIS and boost ecm coming very soon im waiting on crank trigger but ive already got a gm 1227749 ecm running on a honda. but im switiching to a 1227727 with a DIS pack and TGP code. ill have base cl etc fairly soon. once the new trigger wheels get finished.

if your interest drop me a line ive got all the hardware software figured out and itll be alot better then the mechanical advance vacum dizzy you have now.

AccordEpicenter
02-03-2003, 09:03 PM
yeah ive heard you can get by just fine on stock internals if you lower your compression, if not Justin says 7 psi is the limit. Do you need O-rings yet?

3G Jester
02-04-2003, 07:07 AM
What cam did you get? new or reground? take some pics and throw some diagrams up. sounds hot. geting it dyno'd?

Do you have headers? or are you going to 'fabricate' from scratch? im lost there.... sounds good anyways..whgat pipe are u running for exhaust? high flow or no cat? dynomax? anyways....ill stop asking ?'s. sounds good...

nvrenf
02-04-2003, 09:28 AM
its already o-ringed and ill be fabing my header from scratch exhaust is 2.25in no cat with hks muffler iv also up graded all internal bolts to arp studs and 3/8 rod bolts

3G Jester
02-05-2003, 09:55 PM
might want to wait on the paint job till after all that.....that way theres no risk of damaging the paint....even by pro mechanics....

Why fabricate the headers from scratch? u mean carve out of a big block of metal?

why not go DC or pace setter..?

od2681
02-05-2003, 11:14 PM
hmmm. if i get my motor rebuilt and then try that T3 turbo....would it hurt my engine...and how much would it cost to get the turbo setup...man that would be sweeet

gr3k0sLaV
02-06-2003, 06:13 AM
people people, for you all who dont understand turbo'ing is no easy peasy bolt on affair and it's not damn cheap.

It's not a trivial matter of bolting on Mr t3, starting the car and hoping to speed around making that WHOOSh sound.

Od2681, to go turbo on the accord look to spend around $3k at the least.

First check up the faq in the FAQ section, justin aka 88turboaccord sums it up pretty well all the basics, ie hardware.
That's just the basics,

then add aftermarket computer since the stock accord ECU just isn't designed to see boost, it + boost isn't going work properly, hence the need for check valves, and alot more fucking around.

Add a grand or so for the computer, then sensors, wiring loom, tuning, etc.

Also I should note when getting your hands on a turbo, firstly you gotta find it's condition, a worn turbo will leak oil, and just be bad...if your turbo needs a rebuild there's another few hundred or so depending on the amount of work. And a t3, personally if your want to your accord under low boost, and not want too much turbo lag, i'd say go for a smaller turbo. T25, TD05, or soemthing like that.

The engine would need to be rebuilt if your g oing to be running boost above 5psi or so, even low boost might warrant the engine been rebuilt, depending on the age, mileage, etc of the motor.

Next the accords stock 5spd how much can it handle ? well that can be dependant on a number of factors such as it's condition, how you drive, how much strain you put on it, etc.. Justin has been through a couple or so. So you might need to look into having it rebuilt...

then looking at brake upgrades for more stopping power,
mild stainless steel 2 1/4' - 3' exhaust,
all the work. If your going to go turbo you better be comitted to putting the money down and willing to see the project to the end.

You'll only learn the hard way, as I am now with my starion. It's expensive....very fucking expensive.

nvrenf
02-06-2003, 02:44 PM
i will be fabing my exhaut out of 4130cromoly 1.75 tubing ive used that before on my grand national and i am switching to a gm ignition system with the turbo sunbird asmy main system. even with my free t3/t4 turbo from my friends wreck eclisp i got to it b4 the insurace guys! and the fact i work as a custom car builder having some knowlage and done lots of turbo work b4 i have 1700$ in to parts not counting my motor rebuild and the um.... DONATED parts i love my friends.I trade them bodywork 4 parts and were always helping with each others newest idea.
And as soon as im fininshed suicieding the passanger door and paint it its new drama filled palate of crazyness ill cocentrate on the turbo and i still got to wire a switch box 4 the air ride.
By the way it lays rocker and tucks hard on 18s.it should be done at least 4 this summer by early june 4 the first big local show.

Sean
02-06-2003, 09:57 PM
stock a20a's can hold alot more boost then you think once you get the timing under tight control. you cant run 36BTDC and expect the engine to live under boost.

gr3k0sLaV
02-07-2003, 12:17 AM
true that one sean, also making sure you keep a well balance A/f mixture and NO NO NO NO NO leaning out, or else....

Also though, tolerable boost would be more or less dependant on the age and condition of the engine, and with many gen 3 accords around 17 years old or less, the more boost the less their life expectancy.

GreenMachine
02-11-2003, 12:38 AM
sounds like you'll have quite the ride there - do you have any pics ?

gr3k0sLaV
02-11-2003, 06:02 AM
hehehe, my starion is in pieces at the moment, the motor is sitting next to it, as im waiting till i get my flywheel machined, lightened etc. I need to go pick up my heavy duty clutch this week, and then need to send the money to get my VR4 fuel injectors, and need to source a manifold for them, once that's done, i need to save a little mroe and either get a Haltech E11 or Microtech ems.

The body is in pieces, i've taken off the whole front end, and rear end, two quarter panels need to have dents removed, the front bumper bar is getting completely replaced with a fibreglass replacement,

the interior is currently stripped and sitting in my study right next to me, till i get the cash ready and decide what colour i want.

As for photo's when I get a digi cam you' can see.

nvrenf
02-11-2003, 07:16 PM
the accord is under destruction i will post some pics when its painted and some while its getting turbo install