PDA

View Full Version : stiffening the chassis

Sean
02-02-2003, 11:43 PM
have a look at this thread this could be you. want bettr handling?

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13114

we did it with a mig welder and a grinder. along with the help of the local muffler shop for a few bends. total investment minus labor $200 includig tubing etc.

or contact S&Wrace car chasis they have a accord 88-92 application.

sean out.

Jims 86LXI HB
02-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Thanks for posting that sean, I hadn't seen that thread.

I hope your best guess's on how to do the work that was done is truely beneficial. Sure looks like you guys did allot of work. Interesting to not the comments on excess chassis flex in his 2nd gen accord with his spring rates.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-03-2003, 12:34 AM
I wonder if they can make one for an 89 LX 4 door?

Sean
02-03-2003, 01:03 PM
sure jim im sure it made on hell of of diference the car is much sittfer. youd have to drive it to undertand the difference. before the chassis flex was acting to reducthe spring rate. IE the springs were cuasing the chassis to flew due to its flimsyness. so the rear X bar on teh down tubes helps to traingulate the rear strut towers and the down tube triangulate the front and rear frame halves. all in all the car is now super prediectiable. ive had driven it before and after the cage. its much improved then it was before. ad now that id hopped in another car then drove that one back to back you can feel just how stiff the car is. the sensors and stuff to actually measure the flex are very expsensive. but my best geuss is its roughly %300 stiffer then stock.

its hard to say that it made the car perfect but it most definately a night and day difference before when diving into a hard turn the car would start to twist this is something that just doesnt happen now. in fact the suspension is so much mor effiecent now he really negated the need for the sway bars he ust bought. you would think that the sway bars will help and im sure they will but the car corners really flat now. before it felt like its had alot of yaw upon turn toe in but what it really was was was the bodys was both twisting and bending; the cage seems to have elminated most all the flex. also the car is much quieter then before no creaks etc when going accros RR track and rough surfaces and it doesnt feel like its dancing on glass when turning into hard corners.

we could sit and debate it but the cage was built for the specific pupose of stiffening the car hence the gusstes on teh bends to keep the pipping stiff. im sure we could have done better but custom seat to clear the bars would have been way beyond the budget.

at best its a comprimis one that works however in minmizing bends and triangulating the chassis for a huge rigidity improvement.

catch a flight ad go drive it. youll see what i mean.

Site
02-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Sean
contact S&Wrace car chasis they have a accord 88-92 application.

sean out.
S&Ws homepage is here:
http://www.swracecars.com/

10 pt rollcage for $220 - that seems very inexpensive!
Sean, Andy - how much weight do you think your cage added to the car? I know that low weight isn't everything, and that better handling is worth a few xtra pounds. Our cars already weight in pretty heavily, though, in my opinion.

Sean
02-03-2003, 05:22 PM
if i had to geuss under 100lbs

PhydeauX
02-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Damn they (s&w) are right around the corner from me. I should have talked to them first and seen if they could have bent up a cage that we could have welded in.

andy

Sean
02-03-2003, 07:35 PM
i wish i would have known about them earlier myself. they said it would have been at least a 30day lead time for anything custom and those cages are primarilary for safety not rigidity. the one you have is more for rigidity then safety. allbe it a fancy ass set of subframe connectors strut bars and safety device.