PDA

View Full Version : Essential Tools??

89hatchieaccord
12-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Searched around a bit and didn't find any threads on this. Maybe that's because it's such a noob question. I'm pretty much a noob. I mean I've done basic repairs guided by youtube and Haynes but when it comes to diagnosing issues, it's a lot of trial and error. Just bought an 89 accord dx and needlessly replaced the starter. Now I'm thinking it's a bad battery cable and the clutch saftey switch stopper is definitely gone. Bypassed the switch and getting a new positive batt cable tomorrow. Probably could have prevented spending $100 and a couple of hours in the freezing rain with a more pragmatic approach. I know there are ways of testing voltage, etc to help with that sort of thing but I don't have the vocabulary to shop for them. What tools are essential for keeping up with this hatchie on my own? I have a tourque wrench and a basic set of sockets as well as some random basic hand tools. I'm pretty handy and a good study. I would love to just have a fully stocked garage of tools but I'm on a budget. Any suggestions?

2ndGenGuy
12-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Sounds like you need a multimeter. Even a $3 one from Harbor Freight that will let you check voltages and continuity will help you do a lot.

JJ'sAccord
12-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Searched around a bit and didn't find any threads on this. Maybe that's because it's such a noob question. I'm pretty much a noob. I mean I've done basic repairs guided by youtube and Haynes but when it comes to diagnosing issues, it's a lot of trial and error. Just bought an 89 accord dx and needlessly replaced the starter. Now I'm thinking it's a bad battery cable and the clutch saftey switch stopper is definitely gone. Bypassed the switch and getting a new positive batt cable tomorrow. Probably could have prevented spending $100 and a couple of hours in the freezing rain with a more pragmatic approach. I know there are ways of testing voltage, etc to help with that sort of thing but I don't have the vocabulary to shop for them. What tools are essential for keeping up with this hatchie on my own? I have a tourque wrench and a basic set of sockets as well as some random basic hand tools. I'm pretty handy and a good study. I would love to just have a fully stocked garage of tools but I'm on a budget. Any suggestions?

I would check the battery cable before replacing. Check it with a multi meter at. Google how to check continutity and watch a couple videos. Then you will know if that cable is bad or not.

I had the wire that sends the signal to the starter to engage went bad...i had to use the multi meter and watch videos. But its running now with no problems. I decided a push button was faster so i bypassed the wire. Scratch your head kind of stuff.

JJ'sAccord
12-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Did you take a look at ignition switch? Could also be that

89hatchieaccord
12-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Well I figured it was the cable because every time it died, I would fiddle with the positive cable and regain power. Had the guy at napa put together a new cable for me today and it solved the problem! Car starts fine now with the clutch saftey switch bypassed. The only thing, now my turn signals aren't working. Emergency blinkers work, reverse lights work and the headlights we're working fine until, like an idiot, I bridged a connection with the screw driver while poking around behind the steering wheel and blew a 40a fuse. Soooo, replacing the fuse will fix the headlights, but it's still a mystery with the turn signals. Even after blowing the fuse, emergency blinkers and reverse lights worked fine.

JJ'sAccord
12-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Nice man, atleast you got it sorted and welcome to the club man! Haha

JJ'sAccord
12-20-2016, 07:42 PM
Also download the pdf here for the repair manual. Its a life saver in most occasions

89hatchieaccord
12-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks! Already got the repair manual as a pdf on my phone. Called around for a new fuse for the headlights and it's one of those bent plate pacific type 40a. Apparently they're pretty rare so I ordered a pack of 5 for $11 but they won't be here until early Jan. Auto parts store said they have the same type of fuse in stock but only in 120a. Would this be a good temporary fix or is it risky? Really don't want to cause more damage.

Dr_Snooz
12-24-2016, 09:39 PM
You already have the essential tools. Just add to them as you need. The Honda manual is very good, so spend some time with it. When I was learning, I would sit down with it any time I had a big repair to do and read through it carefully. Then I would go buy the tools and parts I needed.

Diagnosing starting and charging issues is difficult, especially if you don't have some specialized tools like a multimeter, battery charger, load tester and the like.

Wiring problems are the most difficult for me and you might want to spend some time reading basic web tutorials on automotive electrical diagnosis.