PDA

View Full Version : bad rust...what to repair with

wallyyfm
02-03-2003, 08:31 AM
I've finally started work on my 3 gee, the cold ass weather has been stopping me. My friend moved back home and now we can use his nice garage to get to work. I tried replacing the pressure power steering hose, but it was too far back for me to get to without a lift, so i sent it to a garage to get it installed. The next project is to get rid of the undercarriage rust once i get it back. Now there is a little bit along the door panels, some decent size holes. We'll grind off the rust and put undercoating stuff on it. The question I have is there is one nasty spot on the right wheel well. There's a hole thats only about 2 inches in diameter on the underside, but it has rusted into about a 5-5 inch hole right underneath the fuse box. It's gone, i mean i can poke my finger right through it. What can i used to seal this up, cause theres like 3-4 inches between the holes though the wheel well and top of where it's under the fuse box. Another question is, what do you guys recommend for holes that are about 4 inches lengthwise, and 2 inches wide near the door panels. Fiberglass patches or what?

Thanks
Chris

89AccordLXI666
02-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Try that with bondo the fiberglass kind... sand it, reapply if needed, then sand it again, put primer, paint it, then thats it... should work... lataz

dXsquared
02-03-2003, 01:40 PM
make sure to spary all body work in the wheel wells with a bit of undercoating... the ruberized shit...

Travis

89AccordNate
02-03-2003, 07:43 PM
I wouldnt even fiberglass it, you are asking for trouble later on. What needs to be done is ALL of the rust needs to be cut out, then new metal needs to be welded in. If you cant weld I would let the body shop do this...doing it half ass with fiberglass and bondo is asking for a crappy appearance down the line. Pay the extra buck, do it right.

Nate.

MrBen
02-03-2003, 10:23 PM
For once I agree with you Nate.

wallyyfm
02-04-2003, 04:26 AM
I can weld, but its not really underbody damage, its the thin little tin thats right under the door panels, just seems too weak to take a welding. Whjat about tha wheel well spot, besides replacing the wheel well, what do i di?

carotman
02-04-2003, 04:52 AM
Thay can take welding is you know how to weld with a MIG welder. That's been done many times to various 3g accords

wallyyfm
02-04-2003, 06:10 AM
I have your basic arc welder at a friends garage to use. I'm going to have to find some plates to weld on there. I've noticed my bumper is falling off again, this happened with my other accord. Is there anything to do other than take it off and try to rebolt it on in hopes it will stay up a little higher?

89AccordNate
02-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Your accord just seems to be falling apart due to rust.........

Its a hard thing to stop..

Weld that bumper in place :)

Nate.

anchovies
02-04-2003, 11:10 PM
I'm going to fix my rust on the wheel well also soon, but the "not so lasting" way of fiberglass.
This might help:
http://www.crxsi.com/resources/repair/fenders_rust/