PDA

View Full Version : Blower motor not turning on

87rustbucket
12-21-2016, 03:03 PM
I recently struck a deal to buy a 86 LXi hatch 5spd, can't wait to get it on the road.

Here's the story, the car was baught almost new and kept by one owner until now, the car has a little mover 300k miles on it and had the engine replaced about 70k miles ago. The car sat out side for 2-3 years and it had a dead battery but with a new battery it runs like a charm, but the blower fan won't turn on not even on high.

Thought it might be the motor or something clogging it. Took out the the assembly and looked inside and it was clean other than some corrosion on the metal moving parts that switch from outside air to recirulate. Motor looked good but replaced the resistor and motor for good measure. I think it might be the selector switch because it difficult to switch settings like there is something holding it up.

Thanks for any help

JJ'sAccord
12-22-2016, 06:44 AM
I recently struck a deal to buy a 86 LXi hatch 5spd, can't wait to get it on the road.

Here's the story, the car was baught almost new and kept by one owner until now, the car has a little mover 300k miles on it and had the engine replaced about 70k miles ago. The car sat out side for 2-3 years and it had a dead battery but with a new battery it runs like a charm, but the blower fan won't turn on not even on high.

Thought it might be the motor or something clogging it. Took out the the assembly and looked inside and it was clean other than some corrosion on the metal moving parts that switch from outside air to recirulate. Motor looked good but replaced the resistor and motor for good measure. I think it might be the selector switch because it difficult to switch settings like there is something holding it up.

Thanks for any help

Take a look at the repair manual. it will tell you what pins to check for continuity. I recently had to do this myself to ensure the blower motor switch was in fact bad.

Dr_Snooz
12-24-2016, 09:13 PM
Did you check the fuse?

87rustbucket
12-29-2016, 02:46 PM
I'm not sure where the fuse for the blower motor is as it is not under the dash with all the other fuses and it's not in the fuse box under the hood either, and all the fuses in those places are good. However the blower motor just started working for no reason, had the engine running and it just started for no reason. Maybe it just needed to dry out a little?

Onto the next problem. The turn signals don't turn on not even with hazards turned on and the indicators in the gauge cluster don't light up either.

Dr_Snooz
12-31-2016, 05:44 PM
At least on the Accords, the hazard modules have this weird tic where they take out the blinkers for a day or so whenever you try to use them. Leave the hazards off and wait to see what happens.

tlsutton
02-19-2017, 11:02 PM
This sounds similar to my recent experience with an '87 Accord. It was my grandmother's car and was shipped up to me from California. It sat for about a year (near Seattle) and developed a lot of condensation inside. Once I finally got it running (I had to replace the carburetor) it had all kinds of strange electrical malfunctions. One of them was that the blower fan only worked intermittently. I think that the problem is the relay that controls the blower fan and radio is sticking. Check to see if the radio comes on when the blower isn't working - if not, then it's probably the relay. If I move the key back and forth to the accessory position, I can usually get it to come on. I'm not sure what a new relay costs, so I'm just fiddling with the key until it works for the time being.

When I thought it was ready to be driven, I realized that the turn signals and wiper controls didn't work. (I jokingly thought that, being 80 years old and living in southern California, my grandma just never used the wipers or turn signals.) The wipers would work on the high speed, but not on the intermittent or low speeds. If I turned the wipers off, they would stop in whatever position they were in (i.e. straight up). The turn signals didn't work either - they would click rapidly as though a bulb was out, but would work if I partially pressed the lever to the point before it locked into place.

Over the course of about a week, I worked on getting all the moisture out of the car - wiping all the water off the inside of the windows and running it with the heater on and the windows cracked. As the interior dried out, the turn signals and wipers started to work correctly.

I don't know if the moisture was the source of my problem, but I haven't had any issues with the signals or wipers since drying it out. Good luck!

Trevork34
03-23-2017, 11:52 AM
My blower motor does that too. I just kick it lol.