PDA

View Full Version : Will these fit in my doors?

Square
02-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Hi gang! I purchased a pair of the Pioneer TS-D160R 6.5" coax speakers, ( the yellow ones), for the front doors of my 86' LXI hatchback. I haven't received them yet. They should arrive tomorrow. Anyway, I can't find a pic on the web at all of what the back of these speakers look like. Magnet size, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has seen these in person. Will I have enough clearance from that plastic rain shield thing? Or, will I just be forced to put them in the back and get something else for the front that will fit. It just seems that the only thing that will fit up front are cheap, bottom of the barrel speakers,( like my Kenwoods). I just want something that sounds nice and full that will just drop in without mods instead of thin and cheasy oems.... Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. :confused:

My system: JVC KD-S580 head unit, soon to be replaced by the Clarion DXZ 825.
Kenwood coax 1668S 6.5, all four. Hopefully, soon to be two...
Two dirt old 8 ohm Rockford Fosgate Punch 8" subs wired in a series to 4 ohms, in a custom built, slot ported box.
Eppicenter with remote turn on, volume knob and LED.
Crunch P2200 amp bridged to mono for the subs.
Crunch P4125 4 channel amp for the Kenwoods.
Cheap, but effective! :D

87accordlxi
02-03-2003, 11:18 AM
i doubt they'll fit right off the bat. the problem is, the pioneer magnets are too big for the stock housing. what you'll have to do is cut out the plastic "basket" in the doors that sits behind the speaker magnets. with that out of the way, the pioneers should fit right in no problem. i just used a hacksaw blade to cut mine out, it doesnt need to look pretty cuz you'll never see it.

Square
02-03-2003, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the reply! If I do cut the back of the plastic rain guard off, will the back of the magnet get in the way of the window?

danronian
02-03-2003, 11:43 AM
The magnets will not interfere with the window if they do not protrude beyond the original depth of the plastic basket depth, and if you are afraid of the rain gettting on the speakers just place a thin layer of plastic outside of the basket.

Vanilla Sky
02-03-2003, 11:44 AM
they shouldn't get in the way of the window after that... if for some reason they do, and you put the pineers in the rear, you can always go with a component set... my infinities rocked (junked out the car) and you couldn't see anything except the tweeter that i mounted in the b-pillar (right by my ear)... you can get new references at around $140, possibly cheaper on Ebay

BTW Square, where in FL do you live?

i'm in Palatka

87DXHatch
02-03-2003, 12:30 PM
If the magnet interferes (which I'm almost 100% sure it won't, because they are normal speakers, not expensive ones from crazy brands) then the solution is very simple:

Cut a ring out of .5 inch or .75 inch plywood (or those other woods used in audio, I can't remember any for some reason) and secure that to the basket and mount the speaker to that. Making sure, however, that the grill doesn't inhibit the speaker from working.

NOTE: do NOT use MDF!!! MDF disintegrates when in contact with water (and water often gets in your doors)... something you obviously don't want.

87accordHB
02-03-2003, 01:27 PM
shouldnt you know if it fits before you buy them?......hehe. hope everything works out bro...welcome to the board if i havent told u already :)

86hatchbackLXi
02-13-2003, 09:49 PM
hey square anything is possible when putting in speakers, i went through hell putting in polk momo components in my hatch , but it can be done. i went to the hardware store and bought spacers and then re-carpeted part of my door to put speakers in. in you have any more problems email me

importracerkid
02-14-2003, 02:30 AM
I have a set of pioneer 6.5's and they fit just fine no problems sounds nice too :)