PDA

View Full Version : Novice Question throttle cable. 89 Accord DX

89hatchieaccord
12-24-2016, 08:50 AM
So with the help of 3geez.com, a pdf shop manual, and youtube, I'm learning how to do this myself. Have an 89 accord DX with 224k miles on it. Replaced battery, battery cables and starter. Having some weird electrical issues but after smelling melting wires and getting some smoke from the dash, I unplugged the entire combo switch from the fuse box and removed the after market stereo (all fuses good). Next day was about to leave for work, gas pedal was super stiff, then loose and completely unresponsive. Crank but no start. Was able to pull on the throttle cable on the pedal side today, car cranked but nearly red lined so I shut it off pretty quick. Slight dieseling turning key off. I'm thinking I need to adjust the throttle cable or maybe replace it but I'm not sure how to get to it. Do I need to remove the entire filter box from the carb? Is this an straightforward task or am I screwing with anything I need to be aware of? Thanks.

JJ'sAccord
12-24-2016, 03:03 PM
There needs to be a littlw slack in the throttle cable on the carb or you can have crazy revs from what i read about that issue.... try adjusting it with slack see if it solves the problem now that you got it to start

89hatchieaccord
12-26-2016, 11:24 AM
So I removed the air filter housing and tried adjusting the throttle. Couldn't do anything to fix all the slack on the pedal side of the fire wall. Tried pushing the slack through the fire wall and adjusting but that only worked until I depressed the gas. So not at all. Noticed a gap on the throttle cable gasket on the engine compartment side of the fire wall http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161226/7e3af8e0875849685f07dda4a1fe180e.jpg
The picture doesn't show it well but I can see cable between the gap. Is it time to replace the cable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dr_Snooz
12-26-2016, 05:56 PM
A kinked throttle cable will want to catch and rev high all the time. It can be dangerous. I'd say replace it if you can find a new one.

89hatchieaccord
12-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Could this cause a no start? When I pushed the cable a little bit back through the firewall (towards the engine) I got it to start, but it revved high. With the cable loose, it sort of acts like it's out of gas.

Ryon Toth
12-28-2016, 03:13 PM
My last fun episode involved a vacuum leak. Big hole sucking air, start right up, rev super high, shut off, jumped time, no start, repeated until vaccuum leak fixed. I have a weber, so first confimed compression before proceeding but carb cleaner (i think) ahohld help isolate a vacuum leak

Ryon Toth
12-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Vaccuum tree on manifold below card and center is a press in fitting not screw in and had fallen out

Shane86
12-30-2016, 11:07 PM
So I removed the air filter housing and tried adjusting the throttle. Couldn't do anything to fix all the slack on the pedal side of the fire wall. Tried pushing the slack through the fire wall and adjusting but that only worked until I depressed the gas. So not at all. Noticed a gap on the throttle cable gasket on the engine compartment side of the fire wall http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161226/7e3af8e0875849685f07dda4a1fe180e.jpg
The picture doesn't show it well but I can see cable between the gap. Is it time to replace the cable?

I would definitely replace the throttle cable last time my line Looked like that it lasted a week before it revved up past Redline and got stuck

MessyHonda
01-04-2017, 08:06 PM
good luck trying to find a cable. I needed to go to the junkyard.

89hatchieaccord
01-07-2017, 11:34 PM
good luck trying to find a cable. I needed to go to the junkyard.
Yeah it's tough going. Possibly found one on amazon but the dimensions listed seem off. I have the correct part number but when I come across dimensions for it they all seem to short. Pretty confused on this one

JJ'sAccord
01-08-2017, 04:24 AM
do hatchbacks and sedans have same throttle cable? does anyone know?