PDA

View Full Version : ok removed vaccum lines, now it wont idle

Mantis88LX
02-03-2003, 02:05 PM
i removed all the lines and shit but now it wont idle, it will only idle when the choke is engaged ( i figured out how to keep it ) the thing is i didnt do the mechanical secondaires so i didnt think i would have to wrry about it not idling, i dont know how to adjust it and stuff.

maybe i unpluged a line i needed for it to idle? anytime i take my foot off the gas the rpms drop and it goes dead, i went around the block and i had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running.

HELP!!!

P.S sorry i've post so much lately!

mindlos
02-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Did you follow the procedure at the end of the howto?? It does mention something to that effect. Throttle stop screw adjustment to achieve idle? Warm up? Idle mixture screw after it idles to get the right ratio? Also, how cold is it????

Mantis88LX
02-03-2003, 05:40 PM
yea im gonna mess with the idle mixture screw tommorow, but i thought that was only if u did the mechanical secondarie. ohh well i guess u have to anyways.

if you guys want to i can post and tell u how i kept the choke active, just let me know and ill take pics and show u. it was acutally pretty easy.

Mantis88LX
02-03-2003, 06:50 PM
it may also be a loose vaccum line, the vaccum line to the main intake manifold is a little loose so im gonna replace it with a tighter fitting one and see if that fixes it, if not i will adjust the idle mixture and see what happens.

good thing now, i only have 4 vaccum lines, and i kept the electric choke and vaccum secondari, i may consider doing the mechanical secondary later as soon as i research it more.

mindlos
02-03-2003, 07:00 PM
The secondary has nothing to do with idle. Its another air passage with venturies that gets called in when you need more power (usually best above 2500-2800 rpms on my manual conv). That car should be puring like a kitten after you get that idle stuff adjusted.

So what did you do about the choke? Manual? Or did you route a vacuum signal to thermovalve A then to the other shebang to control the plate?

I still have fast idle since I did not remove the module and kept the electric connection hooked. Something about the internal vacuum path. However the choke plate is not involved at all so super cold crank time is crucial. Once I get it going its fast idle till warmed up.

Mantis88LX
02-03-2003, 07:02 PM
i will take pics of the setup to keep the choke, it is very simple but i cant explain it without pics. i will take some tommorow and show u.

shepherd79
02-03-2003, 07:57 PM
it is nice to hear that your choke is working. i would like to know how you did it.
anyway, to keep car idle you will have to adjust the idle screw.
than adjust the mixture screw.
thanks to mindlos for reading "how to" and pointing out.
make sure you have no vacuum leaks on the manifold.

Mantis88LX
02-03-2003, 08:00 PM
so i turn the idle screw counterclockwise all teh way as far as it will go?

i know how to do the mixture screw now.

Mantis88LX
02-03-2003, 08:07 PM

A20A1
02-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Can you take a pic of the left side of your carb Mantis as it is now.

Mantis88LX
02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
yea i will tommorow, it is night right now.

Mantis88LX
02-04-2003, 09:46 AM
ok i fixed my idle, i adjusted the idle control screw to were it would run perfect, the weird thing is, i dont have a mixture screw! i looked with a small mirror back there and its just a hole then a solid piece were the screw would be.

the results, the car feels like it pulls a little bit better, didnt see much more horsepower increase, but there is more room in the engine bay for more kool crap.

A20A1, i will take a pic of the side of the carb in just a minute, and i will also have pics of how to run the vaccum hoses to keep the electric choke.

A20A1
02-04-2003, 12:23 PM
don't fiddle with the fuel mixture screw yet...

shepherd79
02-04-2003, 01:23 PM
well congrats, you found the cap that needs to be removed before you get to the mixture screw. you will have to remove the carb to get to it, trust me on that one.
so you have a hole lot of work to do before it will run like it should.
the other thing, you don't see much performance diff is because you have vacuum secondary. if you switch to manual secondary you will see the diff.

Mantis88LX
02-04-2003, 01:33 PM
well it runs alright, it idles better than before, i raised the idle a little so when its in drive with the brake on it wont idle really low and sahke the whole car. im not gonna mess with removing the carb just yet. maybe in the summer.

i am looking into the mechanical secondaries at this moment, but the only thing i dont get is you said the car would stumble below 3 grand rpms also if i did the mechanical secondarie i would definatly have to screw with the mixture screw, correct?

mindlos
02-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Only if you punch the accelerator all the way to the floor at low rpms. Then primary is not being used to the utmost and the secondary is not needed at that point. Kinda makes the air flow go dead, so to speak. If you look at the left (passenger) side of the carb the throttle cable bracket's external plate has a long bump that prevents the secondary from engaging at small throttle. There is nothing to prevent it from engaging at wide throttle even if you are not going fast enough on the mechanical secondary. I dont know if its any better on vacuum if the control box has been removed.

You dont have to mess with the "idle" mixture screw unless you are idling lean or too rich, regardless of what you did with the secondary. At least that is my understanding. I could be wrong.

mindlos
02-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Dont forget the picture(s) Mantis...

Mantis88LX
02-05-2003, 10:32 AM
here are the pics to keep the elctric choke. you can add these to the how to if u want.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/215000-215999/215895_53.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/215000-215999/215895_54_full.jpg

its just the two vaccum lines from the choke to a T fitting then to the choke diagram. it works prefect

A20A1
02-05-2003, 01:04 PM
jesus I thought so... hehe to bad i kept ripping my chokes off before I could ty it out.

Oh and you don't need to plug the ERG port @ the EGR Diaphragm.
And did you turn the vacuum diaphragm idle screw all the way out on the left side of the carb or did you just disconnect it, cause all you need is the throttle stop knob at the back to adjust the idle.

Mantis88LX
02-05-2003, 01:39 PM
yea i messed with teh throttle stop screw and i messed with the idle screw were a philips head screw driver goes. i got it all running good now!

shepherd79
02-05-2003, 01:54 PM
does the choke still works like stock. i mean it will idle at 2500-3000 and it will lower the RPM after you touch the padal. is it right?
oh yeah, if you go with secondary you will have to play with mixture screw. also it may improve the gas millege if you play with it.

Mantis88LX
02-05-2003, 01:55 PM
yea it still idles like it should and everything,

mindlos
02-05-2003, 07:32 PM
CRUNK!!!

Mantis88LX
02-05-2003, 07:41 PM
what?

Mantis88LX
02-05-2003, 07:41 PM
oops didnt mean to post twice

mindlos
02-05-2003, 09:15 PM
I'll just refer ... ..:super:.. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunk)