PDA

View Full Version : New Accord, Newbie Accorder and Question

Febr
12-29-2016, 06:34 AM
Hi everyone,
As I have introduced myself on Newbie Introductions Forum, I am a lucky newbie Accorder who found that following baby in Europe. (CA6 coupes were never imported to Europe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84d3XRm_g74&t=1s

Day by day, I am getting familiar to my car. Liked her but have some doubts (may be they are problems)

- I cannot flash highbeams daytime unless lights are popped up and lowbeams are lit. And during night time, I need to pull arm completely and hear “click” to change high beams. Is this normal or my headlight switch is defected?

- About M/T oil, there are many threads about that I am confused. Finally, I put 10w-40 engine oil same as used for my engine. What are your opininons? Searched a lot about this but still confused.

- About powered antenna. My antenna moves up and down smoothly but not completely goes down. When remains about 10 inches I can hear gear noise and stop pushing button. Is this normal?

- My car has no power door lock. Is it broken or not available for some models? Mine is 88 Coupe LXi.

Sorry if they are silly questions but this car is unique in my country and no one to ask or compare. :)

Thanking in advance,
Febr

JJ'sAccord
12-29-2016, 02:48 PM
Well if you have the flip up headlights then yes thats normal to my knowledge. The headlights have to be up to see high beams.... if im not mistaken your hoghbeams do cut on but the motor does not flip them up unless you turn your switch to flip them up....if you turn your lights on low beams then turn it to parking lights your headlights should stay flipped up but off and when you flash your highbeams you should be able to see it.

I run motor oil on my m/t because i didnt have a ride to pick up m/t fluid but if you have access to m/t in my opinion i say its best choice due to it being the perfect viscosity for what a m/t needs and other properties of course.

The antenna is normal. When you hear the click that means your motor reaching its torque limitations...

The power locks? Im not sure if thats normal for your car or not i havent looked at the video as i am at work and wanted to give you a quick reply.
But to my knowlledge 3gs do have power locks as optional just like any other automobile manufacturer.

So in conclusion in my opinion all of this is normal to our 3gs. Take it or leave it but my 89 lxi does does have power wondows and locks.

Hope this helps.

Febr
12-29-2016, 11:37 PM
Thank you very much for reply JJ'sAccord,

My confusion has became bigger about high beams after your reply. :)

.if you turn your lights on low beams then turn it to parking lights your headlights should stay flipped up but off and when you flash your highbeams you should be able to see it.

So, can you flash during night time without pulling the switch completely till clicking? In may car, it I cannot. Low must be lit and I must "click" the headlight switch.

its best choice due to it being the perfect viscosity for what a m/t needs and other properties of course.

I think it will be much better to change 75w90 gear oil from a well known brand. Thanks for advice.

The antenna is normal. When you hear the click that means your motor reaching its torque limitations...

Yes, this is clear. But it does not go down completely. All antennae like this?
Orange: MAXIMUM DOWN, Black: Fully open.

3gs do have power locks as optional just like any other automobile manufacturer.
I searched some hondapartsnow.com via my VIN and I saw a socket connector on lock mechanism (https://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?Vin=1HGCA6181JA051201&Filter=()&SubCategoryUrl=door-lock&Diagram=).

Can I trust this site (cuase of searching via VIN) and consider as power lock exist but not working?

Thanks again,
Febr

Dr_Snooz
12-31-2016, 05:33 PM
I think it will be much better to change 75w90 gear oil from a well known brand. Thanks for advice.

NOOOO!!!! You will destroy your transmission in about 1000 miles. The oiling orifices are small and gear oil will not flow through the trans as needed. Even motor oil has difficulty keeping 5th gear sufficiently lubricated. Repeat: you will destroy your transmission in a very short time. And when I say destroy, you will destroy it in a way that it cannot be rebuilt. Massive, massive damage. The Owner's Manual has charts and information on the kinds of fluids to use in your car. It's well worth reading and following. Your Honda dealer will also have a Manual Transmission Fluid that members here swear by.

If you need to flash your brights with the headlights off, there is a switch on the right side of the dash that will keep the headlights up all the time. Just leave them up and you can flash without waiting for them to open.

Coupes did not come with power locks, unfortunately. With the additional side impact reinforcement in the doors, there wasn't room for the standard actuators. If you take the door apart and look, you'll see what I mean.

There might be 3 working power antennas left in the world. You have 1 of them. Congratulations. None of them work well. After years of oxidation and pitting, the antenna mast has much more friction than it did in 1989. The clicking you hear is the clutch inside the motor slipping to prevent damage to the antenna or the motor. My advice is to help it retract fully and leave it there. You can try refurbing it into working condition, but you'll be disappointed. At least I was.

Febr
01-02-2017, 11:15 AM
NOOOO!!!! You will destroy your transmission in about 1000 miles. The oiling orifices are small and gear oil will not flow through the trans as needed. Even motor oil has difficulty keeping 5th gear sufficiently lubricated. Repeat: you will destroy your transmission in a very short time. And when I say destroy, you will destroy it in a way that it cannot be rebuilt. Massive, massive damage. The Owner's Manual has charts and information on the kinds of fluids to use in your car. It's well worth reading and following. Your Honda dealer will also have a Manual Transmission Fluid that members here swear by.

Oh my God. You made me scared... :D:D

Actually, I was planning to change my M/T oil after a short time and put 10w40 just to have a king of flush. 75w90 gear oil equals to 10w40 viscosity but I scared. :)

May I know why even same viscosity might damage my tranny? Same visc and special for M/T. Please excuse my English, what you mean "Honda dealer will also have a Manual Transmission Fluid that members here swear by"? People love or hate it? :)

If you need to flash your brights with the headlights off, there is a switch on the right side of the dash that will keep the headlights up all the time. Just leave them up and you can flash without waiting for them to open.

I know to pop my lights but cannot flash on daytime. I think there something wrong with my switch. Low beams must be on. I will take a vid about this later.

Clearly understood about power lock and honored for power antenna :)

Thanks for replies.

Febr

JJ'sAccord
01-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Thanks for info dr. Snooze ill have to try and grab some ill find it in the manual.

JJ'sAccord
01-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Mine does same thing febr i figure atleast it works.... it does make a pretty decent difference when its up compared to down lol

Dr_Snooz
01-02-2017, 09:11 PM
May I know why even same viscosity might damage my tranny?

It's pretty common for 5th gear to fail in these trannies. I think it's because the oil level falls too low and it no longer gets lubricated. Use the right fluid and check it regularly to make sure you aren't losing any.

Please excuse my English, what you mean "Honda dealer will also have a Manual Transmission Fluid that members here swear by"? People love or hate it? :)

They love it. Just ask your Honda dealership parts department for their Manual Transmission Fluid. It's really good and the only thing we'd recommend other than what the Owner's Manual recommends.

doug chaney
01-03-2017, 06:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you cannot lock the drivers side door from inside when you exit car.you have to lock it with key, I believe this is to prevent someone from locking keys inside car. Safety feature?

86 Banzai
01-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Yea, I think so...but you can push the lock down while pulling out the door handle IF YOU WANT.
Since yours is an LX-i (not a DX which is "fully-unloaded" LOL) a better option may be to get a key-less entry :P

Btw, I thought your location was Kaanapali (Maui) where I love...

Aloha!

86 Banzai
01-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Hi, I am no mechanic, but at least I can speak about power locks and antennas from five babies (3gees) I had raised since 86, LOL.
Like Dr_Snooz said, LIFE of power antenna is not that long, and unfortunately, I had to manually retract it for the last few inches on all of mine after about 20 yrs. or so.
My 88 LX-i was a sedan and it did not come with a power lock, and I had it installed - LIFE ELEVATED BY 10 notches!!

Enjoy your ride!

derolph
01-08-2017, 03:30 PM
75w90 gear oil equals to 10w40 viscosity but I scared.Huh? No, it's not. This is clearly implied by Dr. Snooze's post (post #4 in this discussion)..

Febr
01-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Thank all you very much for your comments about M/T oil.
Here is why I confused about gear oil.

This info can be found on many sources. Gear and motor oil numbers have different standarts each other.

Here is an other example:

This car and this tranny has not been imported to Turkey and I am a little bir confused what oil to use.
Manual says only this and that's why I put 10w-40; same as engine.

I called Honda dealer and they said they cannot make any comment for an unknown tranny. They do not know it. :)

Oldblueaccord
01-10-2017, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Febr;1196195]Thank all you very much for your comments about M/T oil.
Here is why I confused about gear oil.

This info can be found on many sources. Gear and motor oil numbers have different standarts each other.

Here is an other example:

This car and this tranny has not been imported to Turkey and I am a little bir confused what oil to use.
Manual says only this and that's why I put 10w-40; same as engine.

MY RESPONSE HERE:

the 10w in the motor oil column is 10 winter or cold. it is way down on the viscosity chart you provided. The 40 part is at 100c. 10w40 is much much thinner than the 75w you showed in the picture.

Gear oil has a totally different additive package that could damage the brass type metals inside the trans.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08798-9031-Manual-Transmission/dp/B001IWL1O8

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71DN2CgliCL._SL1500_.jpg

I think this is what you are looking for to be 100% correct. 10w40 motor oil is also acceptable.

I use Mobil one 10w40 myself with pretty good results my transmission is original.

derolph
01-10-2017, 10:13 AM
I confess I was not aware of the different standards regarding viscosity rating. I took my car to a repair shop years ago to have the right CV half-axle replaced and the guy put some gear oil (90 weight, as I recall). At the time, I was not aware of the specifications, i.e to use regular motor oil, in the user manual. When I became aware of that, which fortunately happened before driving many miles after the work by that repair shop, I drained the tranny at home and put motor oil in it. So, I'm using motor oil in my manual transmission, per the manual. My car has over 199K miles on it. I've had any transmission issues other than having to replace a seal where the half-axle goes into the transmission on the right side. This seal replacement came after that repair shop put the 90 wt oil in the transmission and I've wondered whether that contributed to the seal leaking.

NBS-Spike
01-18-2017, 01:18 AM
Snooz is correct. just do yourself a favor and go to the dealer and have them service the car. It's way too pretty to screw around with experiments.
And FYI, The dealerships out here say 10w-30 if you don't have a dealer or parts store that sells Honda MTF. If you're out in the boonies it will get you to a shop to flush it and fill it with Honda MTF.

Oldblueaccord
01-18-2017, 06:40 AM
I confess I was not aware of the different standards regarding viscosity rating. I took my car to a repair shop years ago to have the right CV half-axle replaced and the guy put some gear oil (90 weight, as I recall). At the time, I was not aware of the specifications, i.e to use regular motor oil, in the user manual. When I became aware of that, which fortunately happened before driving many miles after the work by that repair shop, I drained the tranny at home and put motor oil in it. So, I'm using motor oil in my manual transmission, per the manual. My car has over 199K miles on it. I've had any transmission issues other than having to replace a seal where the half-axle goes into the transmission on the right side. This seal replacement came after that repair shop put the 90 wt oil in the transmission and I've wondered whether that contributed to the seal leaking.

That ISO scale is so much easier to use and in your minds eye makes so much more sense. its the old "motor" oil scale that messes everyone up. I look at the 100C and 200C numbers the most.

Now oil additives is a whole nother subject.

Two things i learned just this year are additives fall out of suspension pretty quick and oil has a shelf life. A year usually. Also there is no cleanliness standard for oil from a factory.

Febr
09-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Hello fellas,

I had been sailing for a long time and at home now.
So, here my questions begins:

Can you please check this video and advise if it is normal or not?
I had asked about high beams but I am still in a confision. I cannot "flash", only switch to high beams.

https://youtu.be/5YNX8W89lRE

It is a little bir dangerous. If it is normal, I will start turning my lows all the times.

Thanks,
Febr

derolph
09-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Can you please check this video and advise if it is normal or not?
I had asked about high beams but I am still in a confision. I cannot "flash", only switch to high beams.

https://youtu.be/5YNX8W89lRE

It is a little bir dangerous. If it is normal, I will start turning my lows all the times.
Well, obviously, you need to have the headlight open on these 3rd gen Hondas. But, if they are open, you should be able to flash them without turning them on; this is done by flicking the light switch backward, as you were doing in the video. This is the way the lights on my 88 Accord LX-i work.

Febr
09-08-2017, 01:03 PM
So, there is a problem with my switches. Because I can't flash without low beams on.

Mmm... Need to check switch first, I think.