PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for Import Tuner

jteuton
02-03-2003, 07:35 PM
First off I would like to say I haven't posted a new thread in a long time, partly cause of the winter and deciding what to do with my car and secondly cause of my reduced access to the web. I know there are new faces here and familiar ones as well. Now you can all shoot me for posting this in the wrong forum but as I see it....this forum gets way more traffic than all other combined and why not.....who doesn't like performance. Now to the uninformed..... in the new issue of Import Tuner (Feb. 2003) in the hate mail, they was attacked for the comments on the 3rd Generation Accord. Some intellectual people came to the rescue and informed IT (Import Tuner / or so I'll call it now) of how well of these cars are and pointed them to this site. Thanks guys. However IT continued to mock how 3 geez suck cause of their bad experience with one particular 3geez car (who hasn't had a bad experince with a civic before....assholes). And made a nice little joke of how there were only 800 or so odd members on this site. Now I have this to say to IT. I am not particuarly biased on any subject or occassion but I do believe the A20 engines have a particular edge on some of the engines featured in that mag. Lets start off with its reliability. With the block being made of cast iron and with a 3valve OHC head it can easily kill the mileage on most tegs and civics, not mention countless nissians. For the displacement and age (no modern sequential injection or vtec) makes 122hp and well over 100 ftlbs of torque (somebody can clarify the torque). In my opinion this is very decent and great when compared to some of the orginial dx civic featured in the mag that made 98hp stock. Hell IMHO its better to start out with an Accord base rather than the Civics. Yes IT, we can swap in b series and perform like your cars too. And to conclude my rant, I would like to comment on their statment of how no family sedan Accord ever becoming a Tube-Chassis Racer. NO SH*T you morons.....neither were the civc's you feature monthly but because of the love....you can turn a family car (albeit it....a civic or accord) into anything you want. So I would definitely look into a different profession cause the whole Magazine thing seems to be sizzling out. (You didn't think you could feature the same type of cars day in and out did you?) Accord=Variety......maybe something fresh for a everyday Ho-Hum Import Mag.
Sincerely your friend, Jeremy

P.S. Sorry for the posting/ mostly to vent. Don't mean to hate on Civics/ I love them too.....just tired of the BS. Hope everybody understands.

89AccordNate
02-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Was this for brownie points? Im not sure................kind of a lame post..

Nate.

2old_honda
02-03-2003, 08:34 PM
in all honesty, nobody gives a fuck about our cars. and why should they? there isnt anything real spectacular about them

AccordEpicenter
02-03-2003, 09:10 PM
even so, IT blows for bashing them, cheap bastards! Honda tuner is way better anyways.

markmdz89hatch
02-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by 2old_honda
in all honesty, nobody gives a fuck about our cars. and why should they? there isnt anything real spectacular about them

What the hell are you talking about? You've posted 342 times, and still don't seem to understand what the 3G is all about. Sure, we all are doing our part to make them faster, more agile, and just plain better looking, but where the reality needs to play in is under the hood. (Stock) We do have a healthy amount of hp for the time when these were new, and the A20 has proven itself to be honda's most durable, reliable block ever built. Need I continue?

jteuton
02-03-2003, 09:13 PM
And with that, I think I will dismiss myself entirely from this forum. Its things like that ......that plague our society. I sure as hell wouldn't want brownie points for I have nothing to suck up for. And for the own members to talk about their cars like that....to quote Peyton Manning "IDIOTS". The 3 geez has plenty enough syle and performance for any import seeker. You would have to agree that at the very least.....its no worse than Honda's other vehicles (family / grocery getting oriented) that includes civics but excludes S2000's. Maybe IT was right to bash on this board,.....but not on the 3rd generation Accord. How can you respect others when you can't respect yourself. No need to flame back for this will be my last post. You can feel free to delete me from the system. Thats all I got to say.....about this.

1989 DX R
02-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Nah, Nate's just feeling flummoxed because his car took a shit recently. For all intents and purposes, IT can go fuck themselves. This board is probably one of the only places I have ever seen with as much knowledge and participation.

Us > Them

Mo'fukka.

DigitaLuminescence
02-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Bravo for your posts, jteuton!
But I don't think you should leave just because some members decide to be shit-heads. I'm not a shit-head, isn't that good enough a reason NOT to leave. (yes, your spider senses do detect egotism :lol).
Don't let them get you down.

IT is ricey trash... buncha assgoblins (thank you, 89AcCOrDmike :D), the whole lot of them. You'd think that the writers/etc. at Import Tuner would be a little more mature than that. *sigh* :rolleyes:

2old_honda
02-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
What the hell are you talking about? You've posted 342 times, and still don't seem to understand what the 3G is all about. Sure, we all are doing our part to make them faster, more agile, and just plain better looking, but where the reality needs to play in is under the hood. (Stock) We do have a healthy amount of hp for the time when these were new, and the A20 has proven itself to be honda's most durable, reliable block ever built. Need I continue?

I know what the 3g is about, and I like it. I am saying that most other people just see the car as some old honda. Thats why it never gets any respect, and it probably never will. You shouldnt get all upset just because someone says something bad about your car. Besides, it is probably a good thing that they dont like the 3g now maybe less ricers will buy them and that will leave more for us enthusiasts. :)

2old_honda
02-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Also, I agree with DigitaLuminescence. Import Tuner is a ricers wet dream, and nothing they say should be taken seriously.

smufguy
02-03-2003, 10:00 PM
The problem is publicity. I have never come across a 3g get publicity like the old ass CRXs do. They do all kind shit to it, put a fucking body kit, lame ass wing on the top of the car (wtf were they smoking????) and dual exhausts ( its a damn 4banger for heavens sake). People like Justin and Jhonny-O quite outstand themselves when it comes to 3gs. I mean, where the heck was Import tuber when Jhonny ran 11.9s in Englishtown NJ???? What they were scratching their ignorant ass????? anyways, no one makes any shit for 3g except pacesetter and DC after all that bugging we did for the friggin headers. How is a car supposed to be outstanding when no one would come forward to make aftermarket shit for it? This is part of the reason i hate ppl working behind the desk, cause most of the time, they dont have a clue whats goin on outside their cubicle. I bet there are a lot of 3gs here that would make the tegs run for their money. I mean, we see people putting a B20, B16, Swapping a Vtech Head, Putting a dual cam, I mean, people Like Sean work their ass off building a ECU with everything in it. Does Import Tuner need more proof or what? :confused:

Sean
02-03-2003, 10:09 PM
heh my stock accord with the gm ecm smokes stock tegs like cigareetes. i cant wai tto get the turbo on there. you have no clue just how much HP hondas tunnign team didnt give you becuase they couldnt control timing the way i can. just ask andy he will tell you my stock carb motor accord ( baring the ecm swap and efi intake) it has a factory cats iron manifodl and seriosuly kicks ass car is fast for what it is. but once the turb is back on im really gonna make a point of whooping the ass of every civic i can find and im gonna keep the automatic in it. it has advanatages for turbo.

A20A1
02-03-2003, 10:35 PM
You can't bash the writers of a mag and expect to win.

anyways I stay away from IT... I read Honda Tuning sometimes.

88turboaccord
02-04-2003, 01:04 AM
The only two mags I read are TURBO ans Sport Compact. I stay away from the rest of the import b.s.

3G Jester
02-04-2003, 06:54 AM
IT eats the cock like a whore on main street. HT is uch better. HT doesnt deal with shitty nissans or riced out mitzubishis.......
however.....HT needs to pay A LITTLE LESS ATTENTION TO CIVICS. for fucks sake the take up hjalf the mg...always...yes their easy to mod....but thats only becasue people dont have any dignity and prefer to have a over done riced out civic with the same parts as everyone else....instead of something that they did themselves......Which is one reasdon why the 3g appeals so much to me. besides being SO insainly reliable and having a disgusting amount of potnential... the modification is purely custom. you cant flip open any mag nd order any part....then go out and see a million cars with it in one day. you make what you want and it makes our cars unique.

anyway. im done ranting.

guaynabo89
02-04-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by 88turboaccord
The only two mags I read are TURBO ans Sport Compact. I stay away from the rest of the import b.s.

Agreed! Those two mags take cars seriosly and go in depth with their articles.

xbi0s
02-04-2003, 07:25 AM
I'm agreeing with this.. I love my Accord.. It doesn't matter what any fucking moron in mass media says, its what we say... Who gives a fuck if they wanna bash us?

We know what we got and we like it

So, IT.. Read this: FUCK YOU

88turboaccord
02-04-2003, 07:35 AM
*** Please Refrain from using unecessary vulgar langauge unless posting in Off-Topic. Learn to Use Short-Hand or say something else. Thanks***

Grant2k
02-04-2003, 07:50 AM
it is probably a good thing that they dont like the 3g now maybe less ricers will buy them and that will leave more for us enthusiasts. :)
my thoughts exactly.

Vega88lxi
02-04-2003, 09:50 AM
/\
|
|
|

I also agree.

I think Import Turner has let it go to there heads that some people actually pay the outrageous $8 or something like that for there 10 page trash magazine. I have a 3 year subscription to Sport Compact and I love it , they span across the whole import board and they have some really indepth articles unlike Import Turner whos only articles are of car shows and whos reporting looks like its being done by 15 year olds. The only good thing in Import Turner are the models and there little cartoon, but thats not worth $8 to me

NeubJ
02-04-2003, 10:00 AM
IT-- is like that they are never wrong in what they say or do.
What the Majority of people like=money

I just get tired of seeing the same old Civic or Integra.

89NinjaAccordLX
02-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Hey uhm... not to sound like the "follower" here but these IT s***heads are the same people that companies look to for ideas for aftermarket parts. Well, maybe those companies are looking in the wrong places, or just not enough in the right places... but IT is still a big name in the import mag industry - like it or not. Instead of saying "F-you" Import Tuner why not say "Hey Import Tuner Look at this". So, me being more interested in informing them of 3G than arguing over it I'm going to just make a flash presentation about the 3G performance and send it to Import Tuner editors. In fact I might just make a few CDs and send it to a few people at the magazine. A note will be attached with something to the effect "You're missing it". Anyone wants their accord "featured" please leave me a PM or call me at 757 589 7886. Turns out I was going to make a nice flash presentation for sending to companies anyways so maybe I can mold it to fit both things.

Grant2k
02-06-2003, 10:09 AM
when we tried to say "look at this" they said "f**k you."

Mike's89AccordLX
02-06-2003, 01:13 PM
I used to buy IT (for mostly the models) But then I was like why not buy a Hustler or Cheri magazine? They have a lot more hotter women in there that are naked. And instead of getting wet dreams about civics (never done b/c I hate them) you can get off to something worth while. Hot naked ladies. And we won't win the fight with IT b/c it's their mag. and they'd never agree with someone that says their mag. is trash. Just a thought. IMO

Vega88lxi
02-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Hey uhm... not to sound like the "follower" here but these IT s***heads are the same people that companies look to for ideas for aftermarket parts. Well, maybe those companies are looking in the wrong places, or just not enough in the right places... but IT is still a big name in the import mag industry - like it or not. Instead of saying "F-you" Import Tuner why not say "Hey Import Tuner Look at this". So, me being more interested in informing them of 3G than arguing over it I'm going to just make a flash presentation about the 3G performance and send it to Import Tuner editors. In fact I might just make a few CDs and send it to a few people at the magazine. A note will be attached with something to the effect "You're missing it". Anyone wants their accord "featured" please leave me a PM or call me at 757 589 7886. Turns out I was going to make a nice flash presentation for sending to companies anyways so maybe I can mold it to fit both things.

You'd probably have more luck sending it to Honda Tuning or Sport Compact.

Micah 89LXi
02-08-2003, 12:50 AM
hey for a car with 170k miles handles beautifully better everything than my parents newer fords starts every day..get me everywhere..and not everyone has them...im not all about being unique but im never buying a cavalier i dont care if they are decent now...there too damned many of them...my 3g is gonna turn head when i get everything done i ive got planned for her...they are gonna be like what the heck is a 3g....and i will command some respect..and im gonna floss it like its a BMW because to me it doesnt get any better than a 3g :) also done ranting

Micah 89LXi
02-08-2003, 12:52 AM
also for my car being 14 years old and still beating the hell out of civic/neons/cavaliers/ and whatever other ricer who wants a piece its a pretty nice car

SiCReX
02-10-2003, 07:31 PM
the way i see it is we are keeping it original. we aint goin out and buying the same fuckin red civic hatch that the guy around the corner has... how many people do you know that have a badass 3rd gen accord that can smoke(or at least keep up with) a b16? there is twice as many civics around and i see the same old shit everywhere. i will love my car even more when i get the new engine too :D

NeubJ
02-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Micah 89LXi
also for my car being 14 years old and still beating the hell out of civic/neons/cavaliers/ and whatever other ricer who wants a piece its a pretty nice car

Not dissing you or starting trouble just wanted to know-

Our 3g's weigh about 700 pounds more than civics
And with engine swaps so common with civics it seems impossible to beat and dust a upgraded civic-(I know we can beat or hang with a few)
Just wanted to know what Gen of civs, cavs, neons you have beaten? And you have a Manual right?
Cavalier Z24's are pretty quick compared to our stock a20-( I raced one-it wasnt ricey -no farty muffler-no outrag body kit-etc.. and it dusted me becuase they have 30 more ponies/ and like 20lbs of torque- not to mention DOHC)

Dont get me wrong I love my 3g ( I have turned a few heads with mine because its not something you see everyday like you said) its just that I dont care for the specs of the engine-
( I know its not the slowest of cars either)

Anyways best of luck with your upgrades-It should look real good once done-(then you will really turn heads and have people revvin at every stop light)

1988starter
02-17-2003, 07:03 PM
He man your LXi coup only weigs about 2700 punnds check it out on www.carpoint.com the only cars I know that weigh 700 lbs less is the crx

Neuspeed007
02-17-2003, 11:52 PM

i very much agree with you, our cars are Square and slow. You need the faith to deliver such an opposite car into existance with IT and there cars. I dont hate the car, but i think tat IT have better cars to report on just IMO though :smokin:

NeubJ
02-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 1988starter
He man your LXi coup only weigs about 2700 punnds check it out on www.carpoint.com the only cars I know that weigh 700 lbs less is the crx

Well a site listed the 92 civic as (not saying if these were AT or MT-so increasing or decreasing the weight some)

CX VX
2094lbs

DX

Si

So okay not 700lbs but range from 600-370 that is still a big difference -

1988starter
02-20-2003, 01:03 PM
that is true for the hatch trims but the sedans come it around

DX 2343 EX 2524 LX 2388 also if you notice the hp num,bers go down with the weight. Besides if youi look at the 1988 numbers for my car lxi coup it is not that mch heavyer
Coupe Trims

Exterior Dimensions DX coupe LXi coupe

Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 2493 2551

original2k
02-20-2003, 09:58 PM
i just don't like mags like IT and super street because all they do is goto every freakin car show there is and take turns showing signal's 5 second F1 converted skyline GT-X with super ground effects and prototype 2005 GS-R rims, i mean at least mags like import racer and turbo actually show u how to do things that can benefit your ride rather than trying to show u a bunch of cars that are better than yours because they sponsored by nasa and national widlife foundation, all jokes aside, i could care less about IT's showroom gallery a.k.a. "tuner magazine". imho

NeubJ
02-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Neuspeed007
i very much agree with you, our cars are Square and slow. You need the faith to deliver such an opposite car into existance with IT and there cars. I dont hate the car, but i think tat IT have better cars to report on just IMO though :smokin:

I respect your opinions.

Same thing can be said about a Stock Civic --SLOW..and the older ones Square-and their isnt anything great about them.
Who would want to buy a stock Civic with the exception of the SI.

The import scene made Civics popular -So every Joe wants one now. People now dont have to imagine what their civic will look like all dressed up.
If we had all these companies making bodykits-engine mounts-bolt ons-etc we could make our 3g just like the rest of the cars featured in IT. (if youre into that)
Fact is the masses have not seen our car with nice body kit and wheels-
So they are not looking at the whole picture-Any car can be made to look good with $$$.

JaVaSa84
02-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Not to go off subject but what happened to 89AccordNate?
Under his name it says banned. What did he do or say?

original2k
02-21-2003, 03:13 PM
haha wouldn't u like to know......just consider yourself spared of that horror

od2681
02-21-2003, 09:12 PM
i am confessin taht when i first got my 86 accord lxi..i didnt want it to be my permenant car...helll no body wanted it to be my permenant car....but as time went along somethin happend and i fell in love with my car...although i had rough times with it...like the axel breaking twice and the transmission once...crap loads of oil leaks in the beginning...but hey..now it runs better than our..1990 legend...and it has 170000 compared to my car having 250000...now they all say that this car is badass....well i have turned it into what i can be proud of.....and some ass clowns dont get that.....i wanted to be different(NO CIVICS!!!!) everyone has those.....people i know respect me cuzz i am being original (not original but not civics) in modifyin....you can point out my car in the college parking lot even a mile away cuzz its one of the hand few 3geez........I dont know what issue of import tuner this was in....hope someone tells me so i can look it up cuzz my friend has every issue....so to the people at Import tuner....choke on my exhaust

89NinjaAccordLX
02-21-2003, 10:11 PM
The Flash presentation is more than off the ground (read my previous posts to understand what im talking about). In response to what everyone else was saying:

Everyone here says they're against the "cookie-cutter car" mentality but in actuality isn't that what a lot of us really want for the 3g? I know there's two hundred of you guys out there right now just WAITING for some company to make Euro tails for our cars. You may even think they're ugly on every other car... but if they make them for the 3G they'd be new and "special". If you get a whole lot of cash and go out and buy a carbon fiber hood, some Xenon headlights, and a bodykit how are you any different than those guys with the civics? Part comes out... slap it on. We are in the same boat as a lot of cars so we shouldn't feel like the whole Import World is against us because honestly I dont think that's the case. We should just try harder to show the people in power that we can keep up just as well as any civic.

c20v6turbo3rdgen
02-22-2003, 07:09 AM
Hell yeah, I just like to read it cause of the little cartoon that they have in there. I am just pissed cause everyone looks at my car and thinks that it is a 15 year old POS. I can't wait to get my H22A or my C20v6 Turbo from Japan and if no one knows it comes from a Honda Inspire..It is kinda like out Acura Legend over here. I am just pissed cause I like the way the car looks and they way people think that it is not a fast car like all the Civics and CRXs and all the other cars... I think society is hating on us cause we are not following everyone else with the other Hondas that are out there...We are being unique and not copying everyone else out there. That is what makes me drive me car and out things into my car, casue I am doing my own thing and I have my own club that is just for the 3rd Gen Accords...I know what I said might sound lame to some of you but that is what I feel and that is why I bought my car...

c20v6turbo3rdgen
02-22-2003, 10:52 AM
why is my post not up about what I said..

toastyghost
02-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Tuner just lost a reader. From now on my only tuner mag is SCC. Fuck those corporate pigs! First of all, who the hell are THEY to dis anyone on grounds of inferior performance? Power Pages is a joke.. I read (pronounced "red" not "reed" as in PAST tense) that mag for the show cars and the show cars only. Come on.. this is how we blow 15 bills on 3 overpriced bolt-ons and here are our fabricated dyno results which show that an air intake and cam gear squeeze 12 horse out of an otherwise stock Daihatsu HiJet. Yeah right, stfu & stfd. Screw you and your Civic Tuner mag, stop trying to act like you understand auto performance and give me some pretty rice to stare at like you're supposed to do. Question me, and my supercharged Chevy will pwnz0r your shit.

89NinjaAccordLX
02-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Lets copy the Euro boys from now on. They used to drive around boxes like our cars. Wait a minute! THEY STILL DO! AND THEY MAKE IT LOOK GOOD! Check out the magazine "Max Power" or "Redline" or even "EuroTuner". Those guys arn't with the ricey hype. They mostly drive hatches half the weight of our cars and a lot of them have very chiseled lines (that's probably spelled wrong).

89cordlx
02-23-2003, 06:41 PM
I think the 3g is a very popular car, for anyone. I think that there are just as many of them at my school as there are civics. Allthough I am like the only one who actually cars about my car.

Grant2k
02-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 89cordlx
I think the 3g is a very popular car, for anyone. I think that there are just as many of them at my school as there are civics. Allthough I am like the only one who actually cars about my car.
since they were the best selling car in America in 1989, i'd say they're pretty popular. but i know what you mean about being the only person who cares about yours.